Swarovski EL Range TA Review, By Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
There seems to be some question about why I haven’t included resolution chart testing in this binocular review.

The reason is that resolution chart testing won’t provide a useful distinction between this binocular and any of the competitors. All of the premium binoculars will easily out-resolve the human eye at binocular magnifications like this review’s 10x. Even spotting scope level magnifications could use boosting to make more useful resolution testing.

A significant booster would be needed to magnify the image to a level where distinctions would be visible when it comes to resolution. I don’t have access to a suitable booster, and I don’t even know if one exists. However, even if one would be available, I don’t think boosted differences in resolution would be that useful anyway, as hunters aren’t going to be using boosted binoculars.

Other areas of optical performance like aberration control, distortion, field curvature, etc. are much more apparent to the viewer and have a greater influence on in-the-field performance, and so that is why I focus on evaluating those factors.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
have you kept both the swaro and zeiss - or more directly have you developed any preferences of these two?

BCstone

FNG
I have owned a pair of these for the past two seasons, they are fantastic. I had regular 10x42 EL’s previously and the optical quality is the same, which is amazing for an rf binocular. I believe first gen el range was lacking the hd glass and Swarovision, it seemed to me that they suffered in low light performance compared to the TA. I bought a pair of first gen el range and returned them as I wasn’t willing to sacrifice a few minutes of legal light. I absolutely love the rangefinder and ballistic solutions provided by the TA and find them to be spot on, BUT….mine are currently at Swarovski getting the rangefinder repaired as it decided to go dark a couple weeks before the season and I had to go without it for this year which was disappointing. I’m sure it will be back as good as new but I definitely expected it to last more than a year and a bit. For those wondering, I didn’t drop them and it wasn’t a battery issue, I'm just waiting on a final diagnosis. In the end, I like them and the glass cannot be beat.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
have you kept both the swaro and zeiss - or more directly have you developed any preferences of these two?
As you may guess, it is a tough call between these two. The EL Range test unit I had wasn’t mine, and was returned. Rangefinding and ballistics are a push between them, but I like the Swarovski display and eyecups better. As mentioned in the article, optics are typical Zeiss vs. Swarovski: both top shelf, with the Zeiss being cooler and the Swarovski being warmer.

I would consider moving to the EL Range, but the form factor keeps me with the Zeiss RF.

ZDR

WKR
Matt, any comparisons to the Leica models - either the 3200 or the Pros (x32)?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
As you may guess, it is a tough call between these two. The EL Range test unit I had wasn’t mine, and was returned. Rangefinding and ballistics are a push between them, but I like the Swarovski display and eyecups better. As mentioned in the article, optics are typical Zeiss vs. Swarovski: both top shelf, with the Zeiss being cooler and the Swarovski being warmer.

I would consider moving to the EL Range, but the form factor keeps me with the Zeiss RF.
There is one massive flaw with the Zeiss. The location of the menu button and the ease at which you can accidentally enter the menu. I have seen two people accidentally hit that dang button in the heat of the moment, and they either have to wait 30 seconds for it to close out or cycle through and exit. Neither is good when time counts.

I was going to buy a pair until I watched that happen. Instead, due to your review and Ryan's opinion, I went with the EL Range TA.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
There is one massive flaw with the Zeiss. The location of the menu button and the ease at which you can accidentally enter the menu. I have seen two people accidentally hit that dang button in the heat of the moment, and they either have to wait 30 seconds for it to close out or cycle through and exit. Neither is good when time counts.

I was going to buy a pair until I watched that happen. Instead, due to your review and Ryan's opinion, I went with the EL Range TA.

I guess that flaw is a YMMV situation. It does sound very frustrating.

I have never personally entered the menu accidentally with the Zeiss RF.

SDHNTR

WKR
I do not understand the value of the TA feature. Seems silly and needless to me. Can someone dumb it down for me?

Last edited:

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
I do not understand the value of the TA feature. Seems silly and needless to me. Can someone dumb it down for me?
The way is was described to me at a shop was that you download an app and then you basically range where an animal is/was and it marks the spot on the map "app" and is gps enabled so you know your exact reference when traveling to that spot.

SDHNTR

WKR
The way is was described to me at a shop was that you download an app and then you basically range where an animal is/was and it marks the spot on the map "app" and is gps enabled so you know your exact reference when traveling to that spot.
Because people shoot with their eyes closed? Stupid feature imo.

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
The only benefit I could think of would say if you range the area with TA then traveling there through thick brush, willows etc it can keep you on point? Who knows.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

Kind of. You mark where you shot from, and it gives an approximate location of the target in the app.

Plus, the app only works with service.

A separate version of tracking assistant “works” when you are out of service, and uses only the binocular, but trust me … it sucks.

I had much better luck using my gps app for the same task.

The EL Range is one of the best hunting electronic optics available, but not for the Tracking Assistant.

SDHNTR

WKR
Kind of. You mark where you shot from, and it gives an approximate location of the target in the app.

A separate version of tracking assistant “works” when you are out of service, and uses only the binocular, but trust me … it sucks.

The EL Range is one of the best hunting electronic optics available, but not for the Tracking Assistant.
I’ve come to the same conclusion, but I wonder how much of that $3700 pays for the useless TA feature?

Outwest

WKR

Great write up! As far as the Tracking Assistant goes, I can say that I was initially excited by the feature when I first got the binoculars last spring. I figured after a few tests in open sage, "Well, it wont get you dead on but it can get you in the ballpark!"

After a full season of hunting, I had only one situation where I thought I'd use it. I had glassed up a dead ram and decided to go take a look. The range was around 1800 yds across a big canyon. I didn't have service so I went with the onboard navigation. By the time I got over there, the "ballpark" was pretty big and I still had to rely on landmarks to find the carcass.

Even without the TA, the new EL range is hands down the best RF bino I tried. I owned the Leica 3200.com for a few weeks and I used the Zeiss Victory RF for one hunt.

The Leica was pretty well built and the RF/computer was fast and accurate (ranging farther than the swaro) but the optics were soft around the edges and the apparent FOV was narrow. The Zeiss was a similar story with the optics being a step above Leica and the RF being great computer-wise but the display was lack luster and hard to get sharp. I also couldn't get used to using my ring finger to click range.

The Swaro was the best of both worlds and I can say I have never felt lacking in optical quality or RF ability. It spits out consistent and instant ranges and I spend 90% of my time glassing behind them.