Swarovski CL glass comparison?

eamyrick

WKR
What glass and coating comparison with other Swaro binos, or are they unique in the Swaro lineup? Same glass as EL, or different stuff.
I think you would be surprised in how good the glass coatings are. (And ask yourself does it makes sense for Swaro to have different glass and coatings for the EL and CL) The form factor of smaller objective is the only thing holding them back for a full time bino. I use mine for backpacking, scouting, and Turkey hunting and switch over to my 10x42 SLCs for mounting on a tripod.

Kirk185

FNG
I've seen posts in birdforum that CL does not use ED glass but may compensate with coatings. Mostly affects chromatic aberration.

Just curious as to why you aren’t considering the Zeiss SFL? IMO it’s a slightly better performer for around the same price. Love mine, and use it a lot.

8x40 SFL. But if I were going to go with an 8x30, I‘d probably still go with the SFL in that configuration too.

However, there is nothing wrong with the newer version of the CL. It’s a fine binocular. As usual when comparing an SW and a Zeiss, they are a very different look and feel. I just prefer the SFL color bias, AFOV, handling and focuser. There is really nothing wrong with either, but would suggest trying both before buying.

I have several models of Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars, and in this particular comparison prefer the SFL.

I have the newest version of the CLs and love them. They compare almost identically to my buddies older 8x32 ELs.

For the size and weight they are great depending on what you pay. I got a like new used pair for 740.

Reactions: ZDR

Kirk185

FNG
I have the Conquest 8x32 but looking to shed some weight. Swaro CL, Maven B3, and SFL will all lighten the load by 5+ oz which is pretty significant. I don't need the larger objective for daytime use.