Swarovski 10x42 - NL vs EL Review

Update 9/21 - Posted a video reviewing the differences after 7 days

9/11 Post

I'm all set up to give these juggernauts nine days of hunting archery elk in the backcountry of Idaho. Studs installed, ready for tripod use. I do wish I had the FRP Forehead Rest but I'm hearing early October.

My initial impressions are...
- Ergonomically, these are night and day to any binocular I have ever used. It makes my EL's feel like a bulky instrument that I need to manhandle now, the NL's feel as if they were designed for my hands.

- Glare, and it's been said on the BirdForum, it does appear as white ghosting on the bottom of the FOV under certain conditions. I have not experienced this with my EL's in the past. I will try and reproduce this and report on the conditions in which I was able to. We’ll see how this plays out in hunting. I was glassing some sage and juniper country this afternoon on the tripod going back and forth and had no glare issues with the NL's this time.

- FOV, hands down incredible, to see the edges, as stated previously, you really have to push your eyes in an awkward position to view it. Looking through the EL's now feels like a very traditional view like looking down a barrel. You are definitely immersed in the landscape with the NL's.

I'm really excited to get field use with both of these binoculars. I could look at charts, hillsides, dark pockets, etc... Field use comparison just doesn't have a replacement.

If you have questions you'd like me to look into or address please post it here and I'll keep in mind while rolling through the woods with these two.

IMG_4890.JPG

IMG_3306.jpeg

IMG_3307.jpeg

Last edited:

Q child

WKR
To be clear, is there a tripod stud on the NLs that are being weighed in the photo? If so, with studs in the NLs and the ELs weigh exactly the same?

Wapiti1

WKR
How easy is the diopter adjustment on the NL to bump? I've had binos with the adjustment in a similar location and they were a PITA to keep in adjustment. I like the center of the focus wheel design of the EL much better.

That said, if it never move, it's not a problem.

Jeremy

Angling your eye into an awkward position to take advantage of the FOV:

Would you actually glass in that fashion and is the image still clear when doing so?

Sako300

WKR
Quick general question? Does a larger field of view with the same power magnification 10xs or 12xs make objects appear closer or does it lessen the magnification? I’ve heard different opinions on this!

Sako300

WKR
Dang, that NL Bino stud has to weigh 7-8 oz. curious what they weigh without stud? Is it the 27-28 oz Swarovski claims?

Block

WKR
Dang, that NL Bino stud has to weigh 7-8 oz. curious what they weigh without stud? Is it the 27-28 oz Swarovski claims?

Na... I got the stud in mail other day. It’s less than an Oz.

I read 29oz for the NLs which is about what he posted...

OP
StopMakingSense
Back in cell for a bit. I just brought out the NL's for a couple of days to start. Glare issues aren't a problem anymore now that I have eye placement figured out, it's definitely critical to these binos but not to a fault at all. Now only if this smoke would clear...

4C554F02-E2FE-451E-9A1A-575BAAD0E226.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
StopMakingSense
Uploaded a video of my thoughts on Day 7

Let me know your comments and further questions, I'll be doing a write up in the next couple of weeks.