Swaro EL vs NL pure

Ohow

FNG
Looking to buy a new set of binos. Currently running 10x42s. Wanting something with a little more range and low light capabilities. With the EL being discontinued and significantly discounted would it be a better choice to go with the EL or is the NL pure that much better? Looking at 12x50 el and 14x52 pures. Will be glassing 400-600 yards.

BigAl!

WKR
I recently switched from nl 12x42 to el range TA 10x42 for the RF. I don’t miss the nl’s. There’s a difference, but it’s minor to my eyes. The field of view with the nls is unmatched though. The compact size and ergonomics are nice touches too. If those are important to you and the additional cost is no issue, go nl.

repins05

WKR
I preferred the el glass to nl purses. However, I feel my new 14x52 supersedes both of my other swaros in terms of clarity and visibility in lowlight condition.

Bang for buck ($$$)…… an el around 2k for your glassing range.

Lot of other factors are involved in regard to glassing style and needs but if you are talking dollars and limited budget the el’s are a great value.

There were, are, and will be screaming deals on used els in the optics classifieds.

The Nls have beat the used el market to an all time low. Look for a set with the outdoorsmans stud and put them on a tripod. I can't believe you will find any more game with a similar power nl than the el at 4-600 yards.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I compared extensively.

IMO only difference was size and weight. I upgraded but based on that.

This was 12x50 vs 12x42 btw. Suspect the 10x to be similar with a bit less weight difference.

OP
O

Ohow

FNG
I preferred the el glass to nl purses. However, I feel my new 14x52 supersedes both of my other swaros in terms of clarity and visibility in lowlight condition.

Bang for buck ($$$)…… an el around 2k for your glassing range.

Lot of other factors are involved in regard to glassing style and needs but if you are talking dollars and limited budget the el’s are a great value.
How’s the eye relief on the nl? I wear glasses quite a bit.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I'm glad Swaro finally discounted the ELs. They're a great bino, but they just aren't worth what they were before the NLs arrived. Hopefully, the used market catches on soon.
fb134c92ff5e20c0357acf17f7f4c313.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded to the NLs only because I found a ridiculous deal on them a couple of years ago at Eurooptics for demo models.
I could never tell a difference in optical quality. However, FOV difference is enormous. ELs feel like looking through a straw once you get used to the NLs. The ergonomics are also vastly more comfortable on the NLs.
IF you can find a deal on NLs, they're worth it.

huntnful

WKR
Looking to buy a new set of binos. Currently running 10x42s. Wanting something with a little more range and low light capabilities. With the EL being discontinued and significantly discounted would it be a better choice to go with the EL or is the NL pure that much better? Looking at 12x50 el and 14x52 pures. Will be glassing 400-600 yards.
4-600 yards? I would absolutely avoid either of those optics. That is extremely close range glassing. You should be more focused on FOV than magnification. I would do 10X42 or even 8X42 NL pures. If you're strapped for cash, get the EL 10's.

lets see. you say 1800 for used 12x50 EL's is all they are worth? well then, pony up an additional 1800 for new NL's if you think they are that much better. they ain't 2x better...period. optically, a sliver better, ergo a bit better...FOV much better. better value...that's a no. none of this need apply if you have the extra dough (don't need to hide them from wifey) and are an optics snob.

Tahoe1305

WKR
lets see. you say 1800 for used 12x50 EL's is all they are worth? well then, pony up an additional 1800 for new NL's if you think they are that much better. they ain't 2x better...period. optically, a sliver better, ergo a bit better...FOV much better. better value...that's a no. none of this need apply if you have the extra dough (don't need to hide them from wifey) and are an optics snob.
12x42 NLs have hit the classifieds at 2600 in recent weeks. Concur they aren’t twice as good. Also don’t think they are 50% better either….but for the weight savings and ergos at a $800 premium it’s more interesting.

IdahoBeav

WKR
lets see. you say 1800 for used 12x50 EL's is all they are worth? well then, pony up an additional 1800 for new NL's if you think they are that much better.
Check the classifieds for used EL 12x50s and retail inventory/wait list for the NL 14x52s (msrp a little less than 2x $1800) and let me know what the data indicates buyers are doing.

Last edited: