Sure-trac vs PJ trailer

TheCougar

WKR
I can get a deal on a new 7x16 PJ tandem axle trailer. The only problem is that it’s a dovetail, which means I lose some clearance on the back if I ever need to take it off road.

I can get a new 7x14 tandem Sure-trac tube top for $200 less. Specs are pretty much the same, besides being 2’ shorter, but it is a flat bed.

I’d like to get a really durable trailer that will last. These brands seem to be in the top consistently. Thoughts on the above trailers? Is the dovetail a big deal? Is one a better trailer? I can also get Leonard and Big Tex, but I haven’t heard as much good about them. No Diamond C or Texas Pride available near me

Last edited:
Don't know much about sure-trac PJ is good but if it doesn't fit your needs then don't get it. Welds and bracing are something to look at for your trailer. Warranty would be a whatever in my mind being that I don't use trailers enough to have a warranty issue.

If you plan on moving cars or equipment, the dovetail will be highly desireable. I've had to lift the tongue on a lot of trailers due to lack of dovetail. You could get long ramps with bracing if the dovetail is a major negative though.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Don't know much about sure-trac PJ is good but if it doesn't fit your needs then don't get it. Welds and bracing are something to look at for your trailer. Warranty would be a whatever in my mind being that I don't use trailers enough to have a warranty issue.

If you plan on moving cars or equipment, the dovetail will be highly desireable. I've had to lift the tongue on a lot of trailers due to lack of dovetail. You could get long ramps with bracing if the dovetail is a major negative though.
This is the dovetail drop. Literally the only concern is ground clearance if I pull a SxS or ATV across the country for hunting. I’ve taken trailers some pretty dumb places. This would prevent that. I’m not sure how legitimate that concern is.

73982341954__5EE0BF65-8C74-41F1-9B27-13951E514EA0.jpeg

If you live in the salt belt I’d check into the paint on the PJ’s. It’s been 10 years since I’ve been around a new one, but their paint was usually shot by year 2 or 3 back then. Maybe they’re better now. I’m sure it’s an issue with most of them.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
If you live in the salt belt I’d check into the paint on the PJ’s. It’s been 10 years since I’ve been around a new one, but their paint was usually shot by year 2 or 3 back then. Maybe they’re better now. I’m sure it’s an issue with most of them.
The powder coat sucks on all of them. Supposedly they prime them now, if you pay extra. This probably isn’t one of those.

Sandstrom

WKR
I have owned 6 different PJ trailers over the years, everything from single axles to dump trailers. I still have two of them that are in daily service. For the money, they are great trailers! I like the dove tails, makes loading and unloading much nicer! The one that I used for hauling the skid in the winter was destroyed by the salt!!! My one thought is why take the trailer off road of you have atv’s with:)

This is the dovetail drop. Literally the only concern is ground clearance if I pull a SxS or ATV across the country for hunting. I’ve taken trailers some pretty dumb places. This would prevent that. I’m not sure how legitimate that concern is.

View attachment 723996
Drag that across anything it hits.

That said, I hate those dovetail 16' utility trailers, anything you can load on them, you can load just fine on a flat deck.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Drag that across anything it hits.

That said, I hate those dovetail 16' utility trailers, anything you can load on them, you can load just fine on a flat deck.
Why hate the dovetail on the 16? To be clear, I don’t want it. It’s just what is left that’s on clearance.

I have a Diamond 8x16 with a flat deck. These still sit way too low for me and I'll be flipping the axles anyway. Might as well get the dovetail if that's what you want and lift it. Or find a used one.

View attachment 723996
It’s legit if you have any kind of tall truck or forget your drop hitch. articulation is not that trailers friend

PJ is well built but quality has gone done a touch since production moved to Mexico. Load trail is almost identical to PJ could be made in same factory

Maxx-d is my favorite, build quality and features are hard to beat.

Bigtex is ok, just the PB&J of trailers, nothing fancy, but durable enough, Diamond similar but alittle better on wiring

Never seen a Sure-trac

Two biggest things I look for is channel to go all way to wheel well and flip up jack.

Why hate the dovetail on the 16? To be clear, I don’t want it. It’s just what is left that’s on clearance.
I just don't see any advantage. Quads/Mowers/SxS you can load without it.

Less ground clearance, less flat deck. Fewer strapping options. Back of the trailer isn't a work surface.

I only see downsides.

Duh

WKR
Ok question for you guys that have bought a few of these top brands. I’m looking at buying one now and have noticed the dealers in my area are damn near impossible to budge on pricing. Most I got one place to drop the price was $150 bucks. Is that common with new trailer sales? The used market around me is worse than buying new right now.

Ok question for you guys that have bought a few of these top brands. I’m looking at buying one now and have noticed the dealers in my area are damn near impossible to budge on pricing. Most I got one place to drop the price was $150 bucks. Is that common with new trailer sales? The used market around me is worse than buying new right now.

My experience is there's hardly any negotiating on anything anymore. Price is price.

On purchases considerably larger than a trailer, I'm getting a few hundred off. More they are throwing in some accessories on it.

I could suck at it too, but I feel like it started with vehicles and carmax, and has carried over to other stuff. With the zero percent interest offerings on things, you can normally get an additional rebate if paying up front, so it's not actually free financing.

TSAMP

WKR
I'm late to the party but would like to add that PJ and Big Tex are made 100% not only by same company, but on the same machine within the same factory no less. There are Suttle differences, such as stake pocket design but it's all just lipstick.

My experience is there's hardly any negotiating on anything anymore. Price is price.

On purchases considerably larger than a trailer, I'm getting a few hundred off. More they are throwing in some accessories on it.

I could suck at it too, but I feel like it started with vehicles and carmax, and has carried over to other stuff. With the zero percent interest offerings on things, you can normally get an additional rebate if paying up front, so it's not actually free financing.
Same experience here...

If you don't want to pay the posted price, there's a guy right behind you who will.

Duh

WKR
I'm late to the party but would like to add that PJ and Big Tex are made 100% not only by same company, but on the same machine within the same factory no less. There are Suttle differences, such as stake pocket design but it's all just lipstick.
That’s interesting given the price differences in my area. Also, when you look a reviews online, Big Tex’s get dogged hard for the paint chipping or corroding away but PJ gets the praises.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at the Big Tex or PJ 13' tilt beds. We have one of each and they are super handy depending on what size side by side you have. We also have a 16' Big Tex tilt that has been really good. We've had luck with Texas Pride too, but I saw you can't get one near you.

No matter what you buy the first thing I would do before going too far is put some real tires on it. They all seem to come with junk from the factory.

TSAMP

WKR
That’s interesting given the price differences in my area. Also, when you look a reviews online, Big Tex’s get dogged hard for the paint chipping or corroding away but PJ gets the praises.
They are both owned by Carry On trailers. I can't speak to paint but the welding of the frames is on the same machine.

Reactions: Duh