suppressors and still hunting

welkin

FNG
I'm interested in getting a suppressor for my rifle, a t3x superlite in 6.5 creedmoor (currently weighs about 7 lbs w/ scope, I like light things as I often cover a lot of ground in a day and like to backpack as well). I live and hunt in western Oregon and still hunting is my preferred method (I'll also shoot 300-350 yards if given a good opportunity), so most of my shots are going to be offhand. Interested in suppressors to protect my hearing since I'm not going to hike around with ear pro in and there's almost never going to be time to put it while hunting the brush. My questions are:

1) With such a light rifle, is a can going to make offhand shots significantly more difficult by imbalancing the rifle?
2) How much of the barrel can I chop off so the rifle's not too long for hunting in dense forest, but I don't lose accuracy on longer shot opportunities?
3) are there specific suppressors you'd recommend for this

Hearing from people with first hand experience would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

seand

WKR
1) With such a light rifle, is a can going to make offhand shots significantly more difficult by imbalancing the rifle?
2) How much of the barrel can I chop off so the rifle's not too long for hunting in dense forest, but I don't lose accuracy on longer shot opportunities?

1 - totally subjective. Most folks seem to like a hunting rifle that balances between the hands or under the magazine, other prefer weight forward (think longer shotgun barrel) for offhand shooting.

2 - 16” min practically speaking, unless you want another tax stamp and are okay with NFA interstate transfer issues with an SBR. Accuracy isn’t an issue and velocity loss isn’t either at 350 yards.

I’ve got superlight 6.5cm cut to 21.25 and like the way it balances with a 7”titanium can. But a lot of folks would say it’s too muzzle heavy or to long.

H80Hunter

WKR
I feel like a suppressor makes it more steady by putting extra mass at the muzzle and steadying that movement out for me

Are you open to another hunting firearm? An AR pistol or bolt action chassis pistol in the right cartridge would be ideal out to 350 yards.

btb1983

FNG
I have a T3X in 6.5cm. It’s currently getting the barrel chopped down from 24” to 18”. I have a TBAC Ultra 7 in jail for it.

I very much did notice it with a heavy can and a long barrel.

I chopped down to 16” and got a titanium can and it’s much better. I’d look at the scythe ti if I did it again, kinda regret not doing that but I really like my ddc lti

I have not had accuracy issues at long range since the chop

Last edited:

Bluefish

WKR
There is a balance between barrel length and weight of the can that works. You need to figure how you want the rifle to balance. I have a 23” single shot that’s fine with a 10oz can, yet a 20” with 22 oz can is too heavy.

I ran a 20” barrel last year with a k configuration on my can as it saved 6 oz. That 6 oz was enough difference to make it work. This year it will be a sbr with the full sized can. That setup balances even better and easier to shoot offhand.

i've taken an elk and a buck with a 24" tikka T3 7 mag with fast offhand shots at 50 and 75 yards. is a 24" rifle with a big sig 762SRD can on the end unwieldy? meh, it ain't perfect. but i can still shoot it and the freezer is full. i do have a .243 cut down to 20" that i'm using going forward. not because i don't love my 7 mags, but a 20" 243 suppressed is WAY more fun.

cut the 6.5CM down to 18 or 20", just because you don't need all that barrel.

as for particular suppressors, that's a rabbit hole for you to go down. balance weight vs. money. i'd love a titanium can but i'm too cheap.

Seeknelk

WKR
The length of the barrel isn't going to affect accuracy at all man. Well, it may actually have potential to INCREASE accuracy slightly. So that's zero concern. I have a t3x cut down to 16 and I use a ti dominus suppressor. It balances very nicely and still gives me enough velocity for bullet upset (140 eldm) for beyond 600 yards. I see zero reason for a longer barrel for this rifles use case. Still hunting, tracking, glassing spot and stalk in open country, huge mountain basins, basically everything Montana offers.

My 6.5 Creed Tikka is chopped to 19”, and was put in a Stocky’s VG stock. With an 11oz suppressor it is fine for off-hand shots.

Are those superlites 24" barrels?

Chopping to 18" and putting something like a scythe on there wont be a big difference in overall feel. A little more bulk on the end of the barrel to drag through the brush but I dont think you'd hate it.

Marshfly

WKR
My scythe weighs very close to the same length of a shorter barrel that I have laying around from a cut. Within 2 ounces.

So that's your answer to the problem.

SloppyJ

WKR
Over 10 or so rifles the longest barrel I own is a 22 on my 300prc and 280ai. My shortest is 16" on a Tikka 223 and 18" on a 6cm.

It's all dependent on the can you buy. All of the cans I hunt with are titanium and I've more than made up the weight difference in the barrel length. The added bonus is that with shorter barrels, that's less leverage that added weight on the end adds.

Personally, I think you're overthinking it. If you're only looking for 350yds or so, chop that bitch to 18" and go for it. Be sure find a can that balances suppression and weight.