Suppressor recoil reduction

All these suppressor threads have me thinking about recoil reduction.

Will something with a break mount, like a TBAC, generally reduce recoil more than something without a break mount?

Is there a metric or design characteristic that will correlate with recoil? For example will lower back pressures mean less recoil?

Its easy to find the noise reduction numbers but I am wondering if there is a way, or a resource, that helps determine recoil reduction as well.

HNTR918

WKR
Here are some useful videos with quantitative data.

Some qualitative data.
I shoot best with a suppressor and worst with a brake.
For me, I feel more impacted by the concussive blast than the actual recoil force from the stock.

Lawnboi

WKR
The brake inside dosnt do anything. Per some trusted manufacturers, and some limited personal experience.

The recoil is more of a push, it’s drawn out. Once you shoot something suppressed you will notice immediately.

Noise in concussion cause more flinching than the physical push from what Iv seen.

I don’t shoot anything big enough or light enough to say for sure but the difference between my creedmoor and 3006 is that I’m able to spot shots most of the time with the suppressor and almost never without. Speaking of watching the impact, not just seeing a dust cloud.

OP
MuleyFever
OK, back up. I am not interested in muzzle breaks. I am asking about suppressors (and brake mounts on suppressors in my first question above). I am not asking if suppressors reduce recoil. I am asking if there is a way to compare and/or measure based on some characteristic or resource (has someone tested this).

I currently shoot an Ultra 7 with the CB mount.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I am asking if there is a way to compare and/or measure based on some characteristic or resource (has someone tested this).

I currently shoot an Ultra 7 with the CB mount.

Yes there is. The issue is every single rifle, caliber, cartridge, suppressor will cause differences more than with brakes. Almost all suppressors reduce recoil by approx. 30%. But that’s not the whole answer due to it slowing the recoil impulse more than reducing the total number. Therefor while hard to compare to a brake, functionally hearing safe combinations will seem to reduce recoil by 50-70% over unsuppressed. The muzzle device has little to no effect.

Brake inside the can has no effect on recoil reduction and a suppressor does reduce recoil but not as much as an effective brake but more so than some brakes.

The benefits to a brake mount is being able to use the can across multiple platforms with varying thread pitches without the use of one of the wonky adaptors that increase length, and also a brake acts as a sacrificial blast baffle due to its ports which helps reduce erosion to the blast baffle inside the can.

OP
MuleyFever
Yes there is. The issue is every single rifle, caliber, cartridge, suppressor will cause differences more than with brakes. Almost all suppressors reduce recoil by approx. 30%. But that’s not the whole answer due to it slowing the recoil impulse more than reducing the total number. Therefor while hard to compare to a brake, functionally hearing safe combinations will seem to reduce recoil by 50-70% over unsuppressed. The muzzle device has little to no effect.

I didnt want to hijak that other thread but you mentioned the Hyperion K had low back pressure. I did a little reading and apparently it has really low back pressure compared to others in its class. They made it sound like this helped reduce felt recoil. Do you know if that claim is true?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I didnt want to hijak that other thread but you mentioned the Hyperion K had low back pressure. I did a little reading and apparently it has really low back pressure compared to others in its class. They made it sound like this helped reduce felt recoil. Do you know if that claim is true?

Again, it’s hard to compare. There are cans with very high back pressure that seem to reduce recoil very well, and there are very low back pressure cans that seem to do almost nothing for recoil reduction. The Hyperion K is excellent for sound and back pressure, and very good in recoil impulse.

I can tell you for certain my banish 30 gold with the suppressor on vs with just the brake there is a felt recoil difference on top of the noise suppression. I have shot other brakes however that have reduced recoil as good if not better than my suppressor. However through the last 500 rounds on 4 different calibers I find myself shooting suppressed all the time. in 5 seconds I have it off one gun and on another when at the range. Going to buy at least one or two more for single use on dedicated rifles at some point.

83cj-7

WKR
I own 4 suppressors and have shot many different types. The one that reduces the most recoil is the Silencerco Harvester. I believe the brake built into the end on the suppressor is what reduces the felt recoil. Silencerco has other models with the same end cap and I feel they do have more recoil reduction.

Northpark

WKR
Any thoughts on this topic with the newer Harvester EVO? It does not have the built in brake.
I have the EVO. It takes recoil down substantially better than the factory radial brake on my .300 win mag and feels better than the 2 port area 419 hellfire I had on my 7-08ai. It takes a .223 down to basically a .22lr.

MuleyFever,
@MuleyFever
Did you ever get to the understanding you were after regarding this thread?

I have the exact same questions.

I am thinking about ultra 7 but wondered if I was giving up anything significant up in recoil reduction compared to a couple other "good" cans.

I am thinking lightweight 20" 7prc and being able to spot my shots "better"...but not willing to move to a brake.

Flyjunky

WKR
Here are some useful videos with quantitative data.

Some qualitative data.
I shoot best with a suppressor and worst with a brake.
For me, I feel more impacted by the concussive blast than the actual recoil force from the stock.
In the brake recoil reduction video #1 they are using a 16lb rifle and I'm wondering if those numbers are skewed because of that gun weight? Would those same %'s translate to a rifle that is more in the hunting weight category? I ask because in other tests I've seen numbers higher than what the above video showed but they were using lighter rifles and larger calibers.

OP
MuleyFever
MuleyFever,
@MuleyFever
Did you ever get to the understanding you were after regarding this thread?

I have the exact same questions.

I am thinking about ultra 7 but wondered if I was giving up anything significant up in recoil reduction compared to a couple other "good" cans.

I am thinking lightweight 20" 7prc and being able to spot my shots "better"...but not willing to move to a brake.
I think its mostly anecdotal. I have the the Ultra 7 on a 20" 7 SAUM and it reduces recoil well enough. Before the suppressor my shoulder would feel it after a weekend of shooting but after the suppressor it was not noticable.

kthomas

FNG
Some of the short and fat cans have more of a recoil impulse similar to a muzzle brake than traditional longer/skinny cans.

My Abel Co Biscuit recoils more like a muzzle brake, quick to get back on target and no real noticeable dwell or slow push like a traditional suppressor. I use mine hunting and for other purposes and really purposes. It's a heavier can though, being made of 17-4.

The Dominus may be similar, though baffle designs will be different (which will also influence recoil properties). KGM makes suppressors with their APEC system, ports that divert gases at the end like a brake. They are going to stop sales to civi's soon I think to focus on .gov contracts, so they are having a fire sale on their remaining cans.