Suppressor purchase issue. Advise needed

Kilboars

WKR
Anyone knowledgeable about Suppressor purchases through a trust?

I'm not much of a gun person, I just own a few pistols. Recently bought an AR-10 from my local gun shop for coyote control and they sold me on the idea of getting a suppressor for it, great. After months of dealing with a lawyer to get a trust set up I go in gun shop with my paperwork and learn I need to buy the suppressor first before they can apply for a stamp for me. They start showing me the different suppressors but because they don't sell to many for 7.62 he's showing me the 5.56 models as well and explains he'll order me whatever one I want in the 7.62. I finally decide on one to buy to get the ball rolling and get my request in for the stamp.

After about a year they call me to say the stamp is in and I go down to pick it up and I see the suppressor there is for a 5.56 AR-15. They never ordered the one for the AR-10 and they serial numbers to that suppressor is on the stamp.

The salesman/gun smith that sold me the AR-10 and worked on the trigger for me also sold me the suppressor and I think he just forgot to change the 5.56 to the 7.62 but I bought it so I own it.

What are my options and what could I expect the dealer do? I've bought this Ruger AR-10 from him with a Nikon Monarch scope and a 9mm glock so far. The owner of the gunshot mentioned buying an AR-15, not going to happen.

It's been a real education. Every step of the way it's been very straight forward and nothing is a problem, they just want o sell you something. Now there's a problem and I'm getting blank stares back at me. I'm pissed but educated now.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like he screwed up and ordered you something you can't use, demand money back or the right item. Of course I'd buy the AR-15πŸ˜€.

dotman

WKR
He should give you a big discount on one for an AR-10 and sell you an AR-15 :)

xziang

WKR
Buy a 5.56 from another store. That sucks needless to say and now if you want what you originally requested I'm sure it'll be another LONG wait.

*edited* LOL I might be the one who orders the 5.56 online and have it SHIPPED to his store for the FFL requirements.

JigStick

WKR
That's going to be a headache to fix. That 556 suppressor is now registered to YOUR trust. Its not as easy as asking for a refund. You would have to "sell back" the suppressor to him and wait for that NFA paperwork to go through before he could take position of it. At that point you could you hand it over to him, and start all over again filing another Form 4 for the appropriate suppressor.

Honestly what I would do is keep that 556 suppressor and buy yourself an AR15 or bolt action 556 rifle and use that suppressor. A 223 is plenty capable to whacking coyote and other varmint with much less recoil than the AR10, and ammo is cheaper as well.

So keep that suppressor and use it. And just file another Form 4 for a new 30cal suppressor. I highly recommend the Dead Air Sandman series. I have a few of them, as well as Thunderbeast, SilencerCo, and AAC. The DeadAir suppressors have impressed me the most so far.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
What suppressor is it? Can the manufacturer re-core it on the store's dime? The tube is what is serialized, not the internals and end caps.

-David

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Thanks all.

I guess I should be happy to at least have a suppressor for a 5.56 and just shop around for one.

If I put in for another suppressor I'd like one that would work on some pistols as well as rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckleeves

WKR
I believe now with 41f in affect that trusts are much more of a PIA. Your shop really hosed you if you got your first one (the 5.56) before it was in affect. I wouldn't be very happy but i would probably just buy a bolt 223 and make the best of it.

BigDog00

WKR
I know you bought an AR10 but why not get him to trade that rifle in for an upgraded AR15? Seems like it would be easier to swap the guns than the suppressor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
I know you bought an AR10 but why not get him to trade that rifle in for an upgraded AR15? Seems like it would be easier to swap the guns than the suppressor.

Thats what I would do. I'd rather have a 223/556 for yotes anyway. Lighter, cheaper to shoot, and a 55gr to 77gr 5.56 will be good medicine for yotes.

I would make sure I either got a great trade value for my ar10 (like what I paid for it) or a huge discount on an ar. Or just never shop there again.

JigStick

WKR
Even with the recent changes there are still plenty of benefits of buying NFA items through a trust. I still think its the best way to go.

For an all around rifle can....again...I would suggest a DeadAir Sandman S in 30cal. You can interchangeable end caps for it if you are using it on any caliber less than 30....ie 223 end cap, 243 end cap, 284 endcap. The suppression of this can on my 300winmag, 270win, 3006, 6.5x47, 6x47, 6 dasher, and AR15s is outstanding. There are some other 30cal suppressors available that also have Interchangeable end caps. The SiCo Saker comes to mind. But the quick attachment design of the DeadAir is a step above of the rest in terms of consistent lock up. My POI does not change what so ever from suppressor on vs off.

If you want a suppressor that will do rifle and pistol loads I think Liberty is making something that fits the bill. But Ill warn you, the "do all" suppressors don't do "any 1 thing" particular well....they do everything "medicore"

ben h

WKR
I don't have a ton of experience with suppressors, but I've used one on my friends AR-15 in 5.56 and my friends in 300 black out. Like others have said the tubes were identical, the only differences were the end caps and the baffles inside. If you don't want to drop the $ for a 5.56, I'd look at the possibility of new caps and baffles and keep the 5.56 caps you have and you could use that down the road, then you'd be setup for either caliber, but it would be a bit of work switching back and forth. If the one you have is more or less self contained changing baffles may not be an option.

Unrelated to the original posters particular issue purchasing a suppressor, but related to purchasing suppressors in general, has anyone heard anything about states like Utah (I think Montana did this too, but I'm not 100% on that) which doesn't recognize the federal government's authority to regulate items manufactured and sold within the state. They passed SB-11 in 2010 that says:

65 (8) A personal firearm, a firearm action or receiver, a firearm accessory, or ammunition
66 that is manufactured commercially or privately in the state to be used or sold within the state is
67 not subject to federal law or federal regulation, including registration, under the authority of
68 congress to regulate interstate commerce.

This is sort of like the states that allow marijuana sales even though it's federally illegal. In Utah, you can just buy these (as long as they're made in Utah)or make your own and although it's federally illegal, Utah doesn't care. Curious if this has been tested yet. I'd think it would have in 7 years, but I haven't heard of anything.

To the OP, if you don't want this second issue related to purchasing suppressors on this thread, send me a PM and I'll remove it and start another.

Last edited:
That's going to be a headache to fix. That 556 suppressor is now registered to YOUR trust. Its not as easy as asking for a refund. You would have to "sell back" the suppressor to him and wait for that NFA paperwork to go through before he could take position of it. At that point you could you hand it over to him, and start all over again filing another Form 4 for the appropriate suppressor.

Honestly what I would do is keep that 556 suppressor and buy yourself an AR15 or bolt action 556 rifle and use that suppressor. A 223 is plenty capable to whacking coyote and other varmint with much less recoil than the AR10, and ammo is cheaper as well.

I agree with this. The Suppressor is now in your trust and selling it back would cost at least $400, unless you can talk to the NFA people at the ATF and see if they can work something out, but I doubt it. Keep the suppressor and go with another one. The response from ATF will likely be that you signed the paperwork, you should have made sure it was correct.

I believe now with 41f in affect that trusts are much more of a PIA.

Not that much. It only requires that the responsible party in the trust submit (send a copy) of the form to their local Chief Law Enforcement Officer. That is it. And get this, any changes to any of the parties or responsible persons do not require additional notification to anyone, you just change the trust again. Big deal.

Thanks all.

I guess I should be happy to at least have a suppressor for a 5.56 and just shop around for one.

If I put in for another suppressor I'd like one that would work on some pistols as well as rifles.

I have used suppressors for many many years and have seen the good and the bad. I would really ask that you check out Suppressed Armament Systems. I have personally used their suppressors right next to Surefire and AAC and was AMAZED at how effective they are at blowback reduction and noise suppression. Check them out and then find a local dealer. You can even use a 30 caliber suppressor on any other rifle caliber that has a smaller diameter, so imagine using 1 suppressor for a .270 or a 6.5mm or even a .223. However, be careful that you do not use a pistol suppressor on a rifle. You will blow up the pistol suppressor. Remember, okay to take a rifle suppressor and put it on a pistol, but not the other way around. But really, having a huge suppressor on a pistol really is a pain and almost impossible to aim effectively. Just some thoughts.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR

Hmmm. That may be an idea. Thanks.

ckleeves

WKR
Not that much. It only requires that the responsible party in the trust submit (send a copy) of the form to their local Chief Law Enforcement Officer. That is it. And get this, any changes to any of the parties or responsible persons do not require additional notification to anyone, you just change the trust again. Big deal.

Good to know. I thought fingerprints and photos were now required for everyone in the trust. I'll have to re read it again.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Thank you so much. Will look into the different suppressors and either trade in the AR10 or just put in for a 308 stamp and hurry up and wait.

I'm a bowhunter at heart but being a red blooded American I don't want to show up at a gun fight with a bow.

Bmcox86

WKR
Thank you so much. Will look into the different suppressors and either trade in the AR10 or just put in for a 308 stamp and hurry up and wait.

I'm a bowhunter at heart but being a red blooded American I don't want to show up at a gun fight with a bow.

Rambo did and won

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hall256

WKR
If you want another suppressor I would recommend SilencerShop.com. I have bought two from them and it is pretty damn easy. You upload your trust to them, and if you pick a store they partner with, then they will have a SilencerShop kiosk that will do your finger prints and photos for you. My wife and I were able to get it done in no time. Also, they take care of all paperwork.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Buy a 5.56 from another store. That sucks needless to say and now if you want what you originally requested I'm sure it'll be another LONG wait.

*edited* LOL I might be the one who orders the 5.56 online and have it SHIPPED to his store for the FFL requirements.

I agree with ordering it online and shipping to his store
Only problem I see here is that he may charge you a hefty amount to do the transfer for the rifle you had sent there. He could really have you by the balls, because you had already paid for the rifle, so he can charge you out the a$$ to handle the 4473.