Suppressing a pencil barrel...

Broomd

WKR
So I picked up my new can today, Harvester EVO .30 cal for my 5lb. .308 forbes or maybe my 5 lb. HR Precision 7mm-08.
When I talked with my FFL who is also a machinist, he was concerned about the thin profile of my (pencil) barrels. I knew they could present a problem, but reasoned that the issue could be resolved with an adapter. He was skeptical, and now so am I. :/

Curious if anyone else has dealt with this and how did you resolve? I hate to decrease barrel length, I'm already at about 20".

Providing there's enough shoulder, which usually isn't a problem at 1/2". There's a thread on here regarding 1/2" threads on larger calibers and I don't think there's a confirmed failure/problem on it yet.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
Could always have your machinist do tapered threads and then throw a Q Plan B on your harvester. It's a better way for mounting cans anyways.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
1. face mounted brake (tbac specific I think)

2. 9/16" brake threads. Red loctite the brake on, and use a brake-mounted can

Then there's of course 1/2" threads, but I have never tried that on a .30cal, nor would not do so without proof that it works great. The proof may exist, I just don't know about it

1. face mounted brake (tbac specific I think)

2. 9/16" brake threads. Red loctite the brake on, and use a brake-mounted can

Then there's of course 1/2" threads, but I have never tried that on a .30cal, nor would not do so without proof that it works great. The proof may exist, I just don't know about it

The "proof" is in the multitude of various manufacturers that have offered 1/2-24 threads or similar metric threading used to attach brakes to "pencil" barrels for many years and having no issues associated with them.

For the OP, since your EVO accepts SiCo Bravo DT modules, I would suggest threading to whatever diameter will give you the most meat at your muzzle. I am assuming your muzzle diameter, even on your pencil barrel is greater than 0.600", which should allow you to thread it to 5/8-24. Have whoever threads your barrel install a "false shoulder" collar, and then you can have your DT mount with an adequate shoulder to mate up with.

For pictures of this, a quick search of this forum will show some examples.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Have a 1/2-28 threaded cut (21”) tikka superlite 6.5C barrel. Doesn’t get much thinner.

Sports a too heavy omega at 13oz often. No issues.

Some say 30 cal is pushing it for 1/2 threads but many do it without issue. The other recommendations above are more conservative to hedge bets on the big hole and thin wall thickness with enough shoulder space. But again folks do it and it works.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Thanks fellas, plenty here to chew on. Will dive a bit deeper at the 'slide with the 'search' too.

Appreciate all the insight!

Loper

WKR
Providing there's enough shoulder, which usually isn't a problem at 1/2". There's a thread on here regarding 1/2" threads on larger calibers and I don't think there's a confirmed failure/problem on it yet.

I believe this is the thread (no pun intended) you are referring to.

To the OP, I would suggest reading through all the posts as I think this will give you the answer you are looking for.

Weldor

WKR
I've shot hundreds of rounds through a 16" 308 pencil barrel with 1/2-28 threads. Never had a issue. from 125 's to 180's. If it's threaded correctly no worries.

I ordered a Howa Mini 6mm ARC barreled action. Comes with a 1/2x28 threaded 22" sporter contour barrel. Midway has Odin Works 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapters so you can run your 30 cal can on a sporter barrel.

My question is...any detriment running a can on a 20+" sporter, pencil barrel? Wasn't sure how much it affected harmonics.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Broomd,
I have essentially the same rifle as you (left hand Forbes 20b in 7mm-08) and I had it threaded 1/2x28 and permanently installed a precision armament 1/2-28 to 5/8x24 adaptor for my suppressors. My barrel was cut back to 19 3/4 inches though (not sure why the arbitrary length). No issues running my suppressors on it at all.

Also have a little howa mini with light weight barrel that I did the exact same thing to with no issue

As long as the smith cuts everything concentric you will have no issues

I ordered a Howa Mini 6mm ARC barreled action. Comes with a 1/2x28 threaded 22" sporter contour barrel. Midway has Odin Works 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapters so you can run your 30 cal can on a sporter barrel.

My question is...any detriment running a can on a 20+" sporter, pencil barrel? Wasn't sure how much it affected harmonics.

I cut my Tikka T3x 6.5 Creed to 20" and threaded it 5/8-24 with a collar. I hang a Dead Air Nomad 30 on it and can still shoot a "one large hole" 10-shot group. I am sure that load won't print those groups without the suppressor on it, but I don't care as I won't pull the trigger on that gun without the suppressor on it.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a dozen rifles threaded 1/2X28 in calibers ranging from .223 through 7RM. I use a direct thread Omega on all of them without issue. I have also used an adapter on 2 270 WSMs. No issues there either. In fact, out of the dozen or so suppressors I use, the only time I have had an issue was my fault for checking tightness.