Sunglasses

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Firearms? Archery?

My kids wanted to get me some nice ones for a gift but I had to decline.

I just can't do it for a number of reasons.
Take them off to use binos.
Take them off to shoot rifle or bow.
Take them off to clean 'em.
And the number one reason is: I will lose sunglasses especially if they are expensive.
The $15 model from the farm store is still around but every pair over $50 is at the bottom of the lake/ocean or run over by a mower.
My only Oakley's are at a restaurant in Laramie.

KurtR

WKR
I wear them all the time i shoot with them on and work with them on so not having them i get a head ache from the sun real fast. I have been using wiley x and really like them

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot my bow, rifle, and shotgun with sunglasses on. I also hunt with sunglasses on in all but the most overcast conditions. Would recommend a decent pair with polarized lenses. I think it is just a matter of practicing with them on. Obviously, if you don't practice shooting with sunglasses on it isn't going to work out well in a hunting situation.

Not I. Full brim hat, always. Sunglasses tend to screw things up for me. for Archery.
I also wondered, when I flip my sunglasses up (put them above the brim of my hat when I'm wearing one, does that turn me into a four-eyed monster to the animal I'm stalking?
If I hunted pronghorn, I might figure out how to wear them on the prairie, but in the woods no.

i've tried to shoot my bow with them on but can't do it. the frame seems to line right up with my peep.

While archery hunting I do not wear sunglasses. I use black face paint "baseball" style to help keep the glare down.

I do consider sunglasses as one of the ten essentials however so I always have a pair with me. I will never suffer from snow blindness again! The storage bag doubles as my lens cleaner.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
90% of the time. I shoot with them on archery or rifle. Work with them on. Costa polarized, expensive but worth every penny in Texas. Only time they come off is last light or when I'm inside.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Took a nice pair hunting one year. Ended up leaving them on a ridgeline where I stopped to rest and glass. Remembered them about 100yds down the mountain and contemplated donating them to nature. I don't have disposable income ad felt guilty so I ended up going back up for them. PITA! I also remember having to move them around a bunch trying to negotiate my binos. No more sunglasses for on hunts. I'll leave them in the truck.

costa del mar 580's for me all day (almost) every day. I work outside, hunt, fish (avg 3 days a week on the water in summer) and still have managed to avoid glasses/contacts. I try to take care of my eyes best as possible. I don't know what # pair I'm on but they are fantastic, scratch resistant, etc... currently have 3 different pairs I switch between...... CDM 580's is like watching life in hi-def....

I manage to shoot bow also with them on both trad and compound....

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I wear them driving and fishing, sometimes. Never hunting(I don't think I've ever tried it). I know I would lose or break them. I do use different colored shooting glasses for sporting clay's.
PS- I think I'll try wearing them this year...maybe I'll see something to kill(harvest)😳.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
I wear them occasionally when I fish. That is the only time I ever wear them. One of my hunting partners never takes his off. I've never wore them, even when I lived in Tejas. I wear prescription glasses and only recently got a pair of script sunglasses. I never wear them.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
If I'm hiking on snow/fishing/or in heavy sun I will wear sun glasses. Usually don't need them hunting.

LandYacht

WKR
Watching those around get macular degeneration made go from a 90% of the time sunglasses wearer to darn near 100% of the time. Only time I didn't wear them was hunting in the woods, but photochromic lenses and environment specific lens colors made that transition very easy.

I don't want to be getting shots in my eyes to slow down degeneration and if the eye doc says wearing sunglasses is the number one thing a person can do to prevent it-no brainer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
I put polarized flip-up clip-on sunglasses over my Rx eyeglasses, about 75% of my time big-game hunting. In timber or shade I flip them up, ditto w glassing. Because they are always attached, they never get lost.

I wear a pair pretty much all the time. I have a cheaper pair for hunting but still always carry them with me. Other than hunting and fishing gear its one of the things I dont mind spending money on.