Sunglasses?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious.

Do you use sunglasses while hunting in the backcountry? When during a hunt do you where them, and when do you take them off? If you do is it just an early season thing? Snow? All the time?

Any recommended brands or models?

Gman

WKR
I carry/wear sunglasses everywhere, every season, every sport/activity including all my hunts. I think as long as you get a proper fitting frame with a good lens you're all set. I wear a pair of Kaenon's that have a "seaweed" frame so pretty camo but definitely not hunting specific. Two items I've found indespensible: lightweight case - I get the kind made of cordura but rigid (found one in clearance at REI for $2) and I wear a camo chum strap. I typically like to put them on my hat but I've bent over or run through brush when forgetting they were on my hat and have lost or damaged sunglasses. The case is so you can throw them in your pack and not worry about them.

Looking at brands like Smith, Maui Jim, Costa Del Mar, Oakley, Native, etc. are all good starts. I'm sure there's a ton more, everyone has their preference.

As far as wearing them -- whenever it's sunny. :) If I'm in the timber no, or glassing no, but if it's bright and sunny and I'm in the open I'm wearing them.

My "real" glasses turn real dark as it gets bright and lighten up at dusk. I shoot just find wearing glasses so no issues, except for the $300 smackers

I do like them to protect for snow, light and branches, and a polarizer when I'm fishing, etc… I don't like the polycarbonate that I use at the shooting range much for hunting because it scratches. Something with a anti reflecting coating on it would be nice but honestly I don't like to spend a lot on them like I probably should. I'm interested in what folks have to recommend and or what they use and if they use anything in overcast or low light conditions.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always take a set of sunglasses along, with up to 18 hours of daylight in August in AK, a week in the backcountry could be pretty miserable without them. I am bad about breaking and or losing glasses, so at the beginning of every summer I usually just get a few cheap (think $20) pairs of polarized glasses that are comfortable and fit well. That way it doesn't break the bank if they get broken, scratched or lost. I wear them pretty much anytime the sun is shining, but with our variable weather that can mean a lot of taking them on and off, do I usually take along a retaining cord of some kind, nerdy as it is, it keeps them from getting lost off the top of my head or hat. I recently found something called "cablez" at our local sporting goods store, which I like as a glasses retainer because it's stiff enough to keep it off the back of my neck and doesn't soak of sweat when I am climbing.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never have used them, but there have been many instances I wish I had them. Maybe I will try them this year.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I always bring a pair to ensure it rains the whole time. :D But seriously I bring a pair on almost every outdoor endeavor. I know I'm not that hardcore by brining them as people are worried about how their camelback drinking tube reflects in the sun let alone a couple completely reflective lenses, but hey I guess I'm not that hardcore, but I can live with that. :D

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I wear ESS all the time. They are durable and ballistic lenses I have several of their products and no major complaints.

Yukondog

WKR
Anytime I'm outside my Smiths are on my face. Even in low light, rainy conditions and snow my glasses help with vision. They are the polarchromic copper lenses. It is crazy how these glasses enhance colors and provide definition to everything. However, when ever I'm hunting I never wear them. Whether I'm bowhunting or shooting at birds with the scatter gun I've never worn glasses. They are a pain in the rear end for me to wear while mounting a gun or bow string to my face. Although I know I should have eye protection on.

Matt

millsms

FNG
I'm curious.

Do you use sunglasses while hunting in the backcountry? When during a hunt do you where them, and when do you take them off? If you do is it just an early season thing? Snow? All the time?

Any recommended brands or models?

I'm in the eyecare business and there are alot of decent sunglasses out there....yes the cheap glasses at the gas station will work in a pinch but the coatings wear off fast and are not made that well.
The best optics you can get are GLASS....Optics is the best but they weigh more...Serengetti and Maui Jim are very good and i have severeal styles so cost can vary. Most other lenses are polycarbonate or straight plastic....even when companies use fancy "proprietary" names. They are good but can scratch easy and optics are quite as good especially with wrapped frames. Smith, Oakley, Wiley X, Ray Ban, Native, Kaenon and some others work well.
As far as color goes.....Brown tint will enhance color contrast but allows more light to your eye...hence its not as dark ( My personal favorite)
Grey/Black/Mirror...doesn't allow as much light through so its darker but "dulls" color so to speak
Polarized- Cuts down horizontal light rays thats why anything off water/car hood things like that is decreases glare.
Anti reflective coatings can differ among companies and some are better than others...
GOod luck and you should be able to find a decent pair.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
GOod luck and you should be able to find a decent pair.

Thanks for the great post, millsms.

i actually started the thread just cause you don't hear this conversation much. I actually have many pairs of glasses from Smith, Native, Oakley, and Costa Del Mar For some reason I prefer the brown polarized lenses.

My favorte Polycarbonate lens glasses are Natives.

My favorite overall glasses are Smith glass lens polarized.

I actually use mine on all of my hunts, and especially like them on sunny snowy late season days.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a big smiths fan. I have a pair of spoilers with interchangeable lenses for work, methods for working out and hunting but I think my favorite pair is the pavilion, when I scratch them(inevitable), they will take a spot on hunting trips. they are lightweight, matted,and most of all, comfortable.

I wear the Julbo Race with the Octopus lens. They are a photochromatic lens and that is what I like about them the most. The sunnier the day the darker the lens, the darker the day the lighter the lens.