Summertime Scouting - Leave it alone?

Looking for some advice on how to proceed with a spot. I just got back from a short scout in an area of NY public land that I checked out in mid April (for a hike, I just happened upon a ton of sign). When I visited before I checked out a couple of trails, and today when I returned I kept finding more sign than I expected. It seemed like everywhere I walked I would come across another trail, and I found a few beds. Don't think I ever saw an area with that much activity growing up hunting in NH.

I didn't want to do too much walking around in there disturbing deer and leaving a ton of scent. I'm considering putting a trail cam or two out there this week, or would it be better to just leave it alone for a couple of months until the season starts? I haven't used trail cams in the past and want to put some out due to curiosity more than anything else, I know the deer are there.

Lowg08

WKR
Of your curious just hang a couple cameras and let them soak. I’ve got a couple out in a place I want info on. Going to hang a couple more for another place and just let them soak.

Unless your very familiar with the area I would take the above advise, a lot can and will change the next few months in the area. I stay out of my spots as much as I can will hang a few cameras at various strategic spots and perhaps check them every three or so weeks after the second check session if nothing shows up I am interested in I might move the camera but usually let it set especially when its gets close to rut. One things for sure Mr. Whitetail knows you been scoping out his stomping grounds, the other thing is when this happens you will get what I call roamer buck deer who are on the prowl for a girl friend or two.

OP
M
Unless your very familiar with the area I would take the above advise, a lot can and will change the next few months in the area. I stay out of my spots as much as I can will hang a few cameras at various strategic spots and perhaps check them every three or so weeks after the second check session if nothing shows up I am interested in I might move the camera but usually let it set especially when its gets close to rut. One things for sure Mr. Whitetail knows you been scoping out his stomping grounds, the other thing is when this happens you will get what I call roamer buck deer who are on the prowl for a girl friend or two.
Definitely not familiar with the place, from April to now the cover alone has increased a lot due to all the green vegetation popping up. I was thinking of placing a cam or two and checking in about a month.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think you will hurt the area by walking through it and scouting now, there's plenty of time for the deer to return if you bump them. And if it is a really good bedding spot they will definitely be back. Be better to get an understanding for the area now and bump a few deer than to go in during hunting season not knowing the area

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with above. Being so far away from season walking through there really isnt going to hurt anything. The only way you really push deer out of their summer holes is if you are constantly in there making a racket. I would for sure set up a couple cameras to get the lay of the land and start learning what deer are on this property.

If you have cell cams that's obviously the best because you set them and dont have to touch em again until you move em or take em down. If you have standard ones that's totally fine to. This is my first year with cell cams and used standard ones before. I learned that checking them every 2-3 weeks seems to work the best. that makes it so you are not in there to often. But you arent leaving cameras sit in an unproductive area for to long. I hope this helps. And good luck!

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
My experiences where I live have shown me that where they are in the summer is different than where they are in October/November.

I’m learning to better predict with the help of mapping software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Now is the time to walk all over it. Plenty of time for it to settle back down.

Lowg08

WKR
Now is the time to walk all over it. Plenty of time for it to settle back down.
I agree. I did learn a hard lesson this year. Hunting public land I think they get used to a fair amount of scent. I thought we had stink an area up on a Friday. Decided to give it a rest on Saturday. Checked the camera getting into the stand Monday. Nice 8 point at 2:23 that Saturday afternoon 20 yards from my stand. So it may not matter in some instances.

Macintosh

WKR
I have a little different take than some, but to me staying out of a patch of public land several months before the season opens like this seems kind of silly, and there is so much variation in how you might approach depending on various factors it's almost not even worth worrying about. I'd for sure put a camera there and check it every couple weeks until a couple weeks or a month before season opens, and at the same time I'd scope out and maybe prep few trees if you are a stand hunter, or find the best access points, sit spots, etc so you arent fumbling around in the dark opening morning if that's where you'll be. Ny public land is everything from tiny suburban parcels that are overrun with both hunters as well as dog walkers, etc...all the way to legit million-plus acre wilderness. OP, you didnt say what type of an area this is, but to me taking into account what part of the state you are in, how much traffic that area gets from other hunters and other humans in general, etc--that will matter. If its an area where deer are used to people it probably doesnt matter--they are better at patterning people than people are at patterning them, so they are totally used to being near people and getting bumped once in a while. In a smaller, more suburban area it also may not see a huge variation in deer presense from season to season. On the other hand, if you are talking about a big area way North, those deer could be a long way off from there by the time october rolls around. In all cases it is likely you will have deer around there all summer right up until some time in september when the first frosts hit and leaves start turning, after which there's usually a visible shift in patterns as the deer switch to fall food sources. That's why to me, summer trail camera stuff is more of a hobby than a hunting tactic, becasue in most cases that info isnt very useful for october and november, or later. Regardless, you should be looking for fall buck sign in addition to just trails and beds, because the deer may be in a very different areas in the spring and summer, compared to where they'll be in october and november--food sources will be totally different, cover will be totally different, etc, so if there isnt any buck sign leftover from Fall it's likely it wont be a great place to hunt (unless you are targeting does, in which case it might be fine). I wouldnt overdo it, but wouldnt worry in the least about going in there once every couple weeks to check a trail camera until we get closer to mid-late august depending on when season opens there. While that camera is soaking this summer find your self a plan b, c, d, e and f too.

Yoder

WKR
Depending on the sign, the deer may or may not be there now. Some beds are used all year. Others depend on food and rut. I would definitely put up some cameras.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don’t do any scouting during the summer. I’m only interested in shooting bucks, so I’m only interested in buck sign. I do all of my scouting of new areas immediately after hunting season. Don’t be afraid of in season scouting, either. Hunting the hottest sign is key and it’ll shift throughout the season.