Summer Hunting

john_tn

FNG
Trying to find big game to hunt late July- mid August. Is there anything open that early?

South Carolina bow season for deer starts August 15th I believe, other than that there are hogs open year 'round in some states down south but where you find them you will find, biting flies, skeeters, moccasins and gators all very active that time of year not to mention the heat and humidity. Unless you book an outfitter that has them on feeders, in Georgia and Florida you can use light, infra-red shoot them at night with a rifle. You could bow hunt them too but they are skittish on feeders and tough to kill. I'd rather brain 'em and not track.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually the rifle season in SC starts August 15th in the lower part of the state. In the lowcountry the are no special seasons for archery-except perhaps on small public spots under different regs. It is brutally hot though and I would not dream of going out without a thermacell for mosquitoes.

Hog hunting can be year round on private lands in SC. Coyote also I believe.

oldgoat

WKR
Coastal range deer season in California is in July I think, miserable brushy terrain with lots poison oak and 100+ temps everyday, go for it!

jm1607

WKR
Some Elk Archery seasons begin late August I believe..

Hunt hogs?

Probably too early for Fall Bear anywhere but may want o look into it..

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Late July-mid August?? Must be a school teachers schedule.

boom

WKR
Coastal range deer season in California is in July I think, miserable brushy terrain with lots poison oak and 100+ temps everyday, go for it!

this. i live here and i dont go. it's hot.

FreeRange

WKR
Nevada mule deer opens early August. If you really want to hunt CA there is one slightly better unit up North that also opens in July for archery season with limited but still decent public access. Not sure where you're coming from but driving through/flying over Nevada to hunt coastal CA would be a pretty poor idea. Just sayin.

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
Black/Brown Bears and Caribou in Alaska fit the bill. Hides are not even close to quality for the bears during this time though.

OR Archer

WKR
Oregon fall black bear season starts August 1st. Tags are otc and relatively cheap. You can even combine it with a little bit of fishing

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ontario bear went August 12-15 this year had a good time! Or antelope archery starts the 15th most places.

OP
J

john_tn

FNG
Nevada mule deer sounds great but what are the odds of drawing a tag?

OP
J

john_tn

FNG
Nevada mule deer opens early August. If you really want to hunt CA there is one slightly better unit up North that also opens in July for archery season with limited but still decent public access. Not sure where you're coming from but driving through/flying over Nevada to hunt coastal CA would be a pretty poor idea. Just sayin.
Nevada sounds great but what are the odds of drawing a tag?

OP
J

john_tn

FNG
There are some OTC Idaho elk tags that open August 1st. One is an any bull tag but it'd be HOT.
I didn't realize any elk season opened that early. We've been elk hunting CO late August the past few years. I might look into ID.

FreeRange

WKR
Nevada sounds great but what are the odds of drawing a tag?

The Ruby archery hunt is easier to draw, not a big secret definitely the most popular unit in the state, maybe not guaranteed every year but close and usually some leftover resident tags get opened up to non-residents to purchase. There are other options with similar draw odds in NV. This is all just for archery.

oldgoat

WKR
Look at the unit South of Austin Nevada, there was left over archery tags this past season, I haven't hunted there in a really long time and it was rifle hunting, but there was good deer hunting

I didn't realize any elk season opened that early. We've been elk hunting CO late August the past few years. I might look into ID.
I know Oregon has a draw hunt for Roosevelts in August also. Either the Idaho or Oregon hunt would likely be a long way off from the hunting you do in Colorado. The flatlands of the Treasure Valley along the edges of lava beds in Idaho can be absolutely roasting in August. While the Oregon hunt would be cooler and in the mountains/woods, the coast range of Oregon is thicker country than anything you'd hunt elk in except for maybe northern Idaho.