Suggestions on Caliber in Light Weight Rifle

Which Caliber do you recommend I will be shooting all copper bullets. Pick your number 1 and 2

• 6.5 Creed

• 6.5 PRC

• 7 PRC

• 300 WSM

• 300 Win Mag

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jimss

WKR
I would highly recommend a 30 cal over some of the smaller calibers. There seems to be a rave for 6.5 but I really believe it is too small for larger game. I've used a 300 WSM for years and it has been an amazing rifle. Almost every critter I've shot has been a 1 shot kill.

When you see so many posts wondering whether a 6.5 creedmore or prc is large enough for elk and moose, it kindof makes you wonder?

I just bought a 300 win mag and put a Sidewinder muzzy break on it. My guess is that it kicks less than my son's 6.5 PRC. I also like the fact that the 300 win mag can handle heavier bullets for larger game. The cost of shells is a lot less and 300 win mag shells were always available when supplies of other calibers have been tough. It gets super old searching for shells. Also, if you take a look at the drop of similar bullets at longer distance, the 300 win mag is a chunk less than 6.5 prc.

My son just used my 300 win mag on his recent mtn goat hunt and dropped his billy in his tracks. Mtn goats are actually one of the toughest critters in North Amer to put on the ground! I've been on around 6 mtn goat hunts with family and all billies have gone down with 1 shot with a 300 WSM and 300 Win mag. I've accompanied other hunters on numerous other mtn goat hunts that used smaller calibers. They all took 2 to as many as 4 shots to bring down their mtn goats.

I was always was interested in 300 win mag but was always spooked about the stories about how hard it kicks. Take a look at the following youtube video and it may change your mind! Although I bought a different break than those in this video it gives you a visual idea of the comparison with and without a break.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m one of those that doesn’t see the 7prc as an improvement over the 7 rem mag. From day one the velocity claims seemed suspect, and the recent downgrading of velocity obtainable without the original powder matches that gut feeling. In a light rifle that fits the shooter well I found the 7 mag in a light rifle to be quite shootable.

Swiftshot, I am going to purchase that same Savage rifle. I have handled one and it's a great set-up. I already have a 7prc and a 300wsm in custom rifles so one of them will be my choice in this folding chassis set-up, but its a tough choice. I am leaning towards the 300wsm simply because of the wider range of heavier bullet choices and loaded ammo choices. Also the ease of finding ammo if I lose mine. Both are longer range hammers. From a recoil perspective there really isn't much difference between them and suppressed shouldn't be an issue at all. I love and have multiple 300WM's but not for this application. For my purpose, I want nothing less than a 6.5prc even though it's not one of my choices, however it's enough for elk/moose and I don't care what the RS 223 and 6mm crowd thinks. I don't like "marginal" for the big stuff. If you bump a large bear nothing in your hands is going to feel like it's enough but I sure would rather it not be a 223. Like you, I only want to do this once as it's a 3 grand purchase.

Jimss

WKR
Here is an interesting video by Ron Spomer about 6.5 Creedmore vs 300 Win Mag. It's a lengthy video but listen to the end and it will give you his recommendation. There are several youtube videos that compare the 6.5's to 30 calibers but keep in mind that many of them are comparing a 140ish bullet in the 6.5 to 180 or 200 grain bullets in the 30 cals. To compare apples to apples I would certainly compare the 140's to 150 grain in the 30 cals.

I think the 6.8 Western is a great round. I think Winchester has done a terrible job marketing it. They problem I have is the rifle is not in that caliber. That would actually be a logical compromise. Not as snappy as the 7 PRC but not a small as the 6.5 PRC. I dont quite understand my hang up on it for elk. I kill most of my elk with a bow. If a bow can do it a 6.5 can.
I had a bad experience once with a guy that had a 6.5 Creedmoor. It was a Sheep hunt and I was with my buddy and he took a nice ram. This guy had a ewe tag. In hindsight I think it was the bullets but I watched this guy put round after round in a ewe he had anchored with the first shot. He reloaded. I dont know how many actually hit after the first shot. Maybe he was excited and was just missing the rest I do not know. That made me leery of the 6.5 a little. Completely not rational as I have dropped a nice muley at range with my 6.5 PRC. He just dropped. I know the round is basically a 270. I am really torn between the 6.5 and the 7. The 6.5 PRC is a dream to shoot. Maybe I am trying to talk myself out of the 6.5 I do not know.
Ok got it. My choice from the selection would be 300WSM. Wide range of bullet options.

Dave0317

WKR
I will never use a 223 on anything larger than deer. I know there is a massive thread about that. Not for me. The 6mm is not an option in that rifle 6.5 is but which one. The whole 223 thing for large game, sorry I am going back to Alaska and I will not carry a 223.
The value in the .223 thread is not “you should really use .223 for everything”

More the main takeaways of:
1. Match bullets are not significantly different in construction than many of the reliable killing cup and core bullets of the past. If anything they are more reliable across a wider velocity range, and have better BCs.
2. Headstamps don’t matter at all. Caliber matters less than most people think as well. More important factors are heavy for caliber, bullet construction, velocity.
3. Lower recoil general equals higher hit rates
4. Wound channels are more than sufficient in pretty small calibers, when the right bullets are chosen. So no need to agonize over 6.5 vs .30, you likely wouldn’t be able to differentiate the wound channels in real life. Both would be more than sufficient.

Shoot what you want to shoot, but just be informed that choosing a .30 cal magnum with copper bullets is choosing more recoil and no gain in killing performance.