Suggestions on a pack

I am looking for a good pack, mainly for everyday whitetail hunting with tree saddle/sticks and packing out in the mountains. I pack out a few deer a year and have never had a good pack and have apparently approached the age where better gear is needed lol. Top of my list is a kuiu 3600 mainly due to lightweight, the organization and similarities between my current pack. But I have read they are not the best under load for everybody. I am tall 6’2” and skinny so not sure if that matters. I am open to other ideas and I do plan on doing some western hunts possibly for elk in the next few years so would like a pack that could also work for that. Thanks for any input.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m not the best person to talk about current packs, but you’ll find some are more/less adjustable to different sized folks. If you have to buy a pack sight unseen, make sure high return shipping cost doesn’t catch you off guard.

When I get to a backpacking or big sporting goods store of some kind, it’s automatic to squeeze and fold over the hip belts and shoulder straps.

Some are soft and some are firm. Soft sells well when the pack is tried on empty at the store - firm handles weight better.

Some are wide and some are narrow. Narrow should be avoided, and often extra wide is more for looks, or at least can be. Heavy weight needs a good size belt that pretty firm.

Some have an ergonomic curve sewn in, while others are more or less straight. Curves are more expensive and require better engineering, but carry weight better. Firm belts with a shape that fits you well is ideal.

It’s nice to get an idea of what sizes fit you the best.
I’m 5’9” 190 and have a somewhat short torso so medium packs with large shoulder straps and large hip belt are ideal. My heavy friend of the same height uses a large pack, large shoulder straps and extra large hip belt. Another friend of the same heights but slimmer, uses a large pack, medium hip belt and large shoulder straps. None of us could trade packs and be comfortable.

I’d guess making sure the pack fits your torso length without having too large of belt is the biggest challenge.

The kicker is, many packs try to fit as many sizes as possible and it sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. If you end up with a pack that doesn’t fit for some reason it pays to call their customer service before getting the pack dirty and they may have a different size they will trade you at no cost. Definitely check with the manufacturer for sizes available, rather than the more limited list of sizes many retailers stock. Heavy packs usually carry weight better than a lighter pack from the same company.

kickemall

WKR
Get a bigger pack than you think you need. You can compress it down but you can’t add to it. I’d say at least a 4500. Take a look at the Kifaru Kutthroat. Solid pack and you can order one from Scheels for $500.

airnjones

FNG
I have heard good things about the kifaru Maniml. Framed day pack for packing but compact enough to hang in a tree with a saddle setup.

shwacker

Lil-Rokslider
This is a chance to buy made in the USA, if you are going to get a quality pack, if you are into that sort of thing. Otherwise it's nice I think to see/try them in person before you commit. I have an eberlestock frame, which I'm not in love with other than it does well with heavy loads for me.

Nevwild

FNG
Classified Approved
I recently purchased a seek outside pack, and I have been very impressed with it. Designed and made in Grand Junction, Colorado, they are well thought out, and I have found them to carry weight very well.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu has great pockets and carries weight well, but the load sling function is odd because you have to remove the pack to use it. The new EXO K4 is outstanding and is what I would recommend you look at.

I’ve got a Kuiu divide 2000 and it works great for day/small game hunts and scouting/hikes here in CO. I’m guessing you could add a saddle?? Also got a stone glacier for backpacking and longer hunts. Both fit great with the SG being more adjustable. SG def for large weight. I’m also 6’2” and skinny.