Suggestions: Fore-hire stock refinishing and barrel / action blueing...

So, I've got a 20 year old rifle that I bought new. Wood stock with candy coat has seen a lot of time in the field and is fairly beat up. Pictures make it look worse than it really is. Most of the blemishes are scratches and I suspect can be sanded out. A couple of dings will probbaly just need to remain like they are. For the longest time the look didn't bother me, and in fact, part of me still kind of likes the battle scars. However, I'm about to put a new scope on it, and was contemplating trying to spuce things up a bit. Not 100% yet. I'm sure I could do this myself, but quite frankly, just don't feel like it. Plus, being a perfectionist, if I did it... it would never be "good enough" and I'd likely drive myself crazy.

That being said:

1. Anybody farmed out a stock refnishing? I'm perfectly happy to ship and discuss end-goal over the phone.

2. Along those lines... what about minor rust removal and reblueing of barrel / action. Any suggestions there?

bolt.jpgbolt2.jpgbolt3.jpgbolt4.jpgbolt5.jpgbolt6.jpgbolt7.jpgbolt8.jpgbolt9.jpgbolt10.jpg

robtattoo

WKR
Unfortunately he doesn't have a website, but I cannot recommend Gareth West & GTs Customizing enough. He reblued & color case hardened my M70 incredibly quickly, reasonably & to a very high standard.

I actually finished the stock myself & Ahlman's in Minnesota did the checkering, but looking at the pictures Gareth does great work there too.

IMG_20210211_163357_514.jpg
IMG_20210211_163357_618.jpg
IMG_20210211_163357_684.jpg

OP
P
Thanks, man! I've about decided that I'll tackle the stock myself.

Been researching bluing, and I guess what you're really looking for is caustic salt hot bluing... the 235 degree (or whatever it is that must be carefully maintanted) fully submerged tank deal with various chemicals and whatnot. If I do this, I'll either live with the metal as it exists now, or I'll find the real deal somewhere. I'm not going to strip down my barrell and receiver that are pretty stable right now (just not pretty) in order to do the cold wipe on DIY solution.

Thanks again. I'll look into this fella!

PH80

robtattoo

WKR
Thanks, man! I've about decided that I'll tackle the stock myself.

Been researching bluing, and I guess what you're really looking for is caustic salt hot bluing... the 235 degree (or whatever it is that must be carefully maintanted) fully submerged tank deal with various chemicals and whatnot. If I do this, I'll either live with the metal as it exists now, or I'll find the real deal somewhere. I'm not going to strip down my barrell and receiver that are pretty stable right now (just not pretty) in order to do the cold wipe on DIY solution.

Thanks again. I'll look into this fella!

PH80

You're welcome!

Your other option for the bluing is traditional rust blueing. That's the best looking of the options & actually the simplest to do yourself. All you need is a bottle of rust promoter & a tank big enough to be able to boil your barreled action.
However, simple doesn't always mean easy! It's an insanely long process to do to a high standard & very unforgiving of any mistakes. I know of a couple of smith's who'll do it, but it'll cost 4 figures! 😲 I used to think that was a nuts price, until I did a small rust bluing job for myself.