Suggestions For a New Hunter

Good morning! This is my first post and I could not really think of a better way to start off other than getting some opinions and thoughts on things that I could potentially do to prepare myself for the day that I finally get to hunt an elk. I did not grow up in a family where I could learn to hunt. What I know so far, which ain't much, has all been self taught. I was lucky enough to grow up around firearms my whole life and have been shooting my whole life, but being able to make the shot is only a small portion of hunting as I have quickly learned.

I am a rather new hunter and still young in my early 20's and want to learn as much as I can. Hunting seems to be fading out with the previous generation, my generation, and for sure the generation coming up. I want to learn and take advantage of what I can, especially if in the future the number of hunters will be far less. I want to learn while I can and while there are still folks left to help teach me. I hope to some day pass on the knowledge that I learn to my kid and raise them going hunting and fishing and being outdoors.

The biggest dilemma that I will likely be facing will be the fact that I live in VA and cannot really afford the $7k+ that it takes to go on a guided elk hunt. Though a guide will likely not be in the picture for me anytime soon, I am willing to drive of fly where I need to to hunt. What are some of your thoughts from you out of staters that elk hunt but don't use a guide? Are there things that I can do to prepare myself for in the future when I am able to go on what seems like the hunt of a lifetime? Where would the best state to be to hunt elk, if not in the US then maybe B.C. or somewhere else in Canada? What firearm and caliber do you personally use in your journeys of hunting elk? I would love any advice, help, and tips that I can get so that one day I can get out there and get the opportunity to go on the hunt of a lifetime and be well prepared for it. Thanks in advance!

gabenzeke

WKR
Good morning! This is my first post and I could not really think of a better way to start off other than getting some opinions and thoughts on things that I could potentially do to prepare myself for the day that I finally get to hunt an elk. I did not grow up in a family where I could learn to hunt. What I know so far, which ain't much, has all been self taught. I was lucky enough to grow up around firearms my whole life and have been shooting my whole life, but being able to make the shot is only a small portion of hunting as I have quickly learned.

I am a rather new hunter and still young in my early 20's and want to learn as much as I can. Hunting seems to be fading out with the previous generation, my generation, and for sure the generation coming up. I want to learn and take advantage of what I can, especially if in the future the number of hunters will be far less. I want to learn while I can and while there are still folks left to help teach me. I hope to some day pass on the knowledge that I learn to my kid and raise them going hunting and fishing and being outdoors.

The biggest dilemma that I will likely be facing will be the fact that I live in VA and cannot really afford the $7k+ that it takes to go on a guided elk hunt. Though a guide will likely not be in the picture for me anytime soon, I am willing to drive of fly where I need to to hunt. What are some of your thoughts from you out of staters that elk hunt but don't use a guide? Are there things that I can do to prepare myself for in the future when I am able to go on what seems like the hunt of a lifetime? Where would the best state to be to hunt elk, if not in the US then maybe B.C. or somewhere else in Canada? What firearm and caliber do you personally use in your journeys of hunting elk? I would love any advice, help, and tips that I can get so that one day I can get out there and get the opportunity to go on the hunt of a lifetime and be well prepared for it. Thanks in advance!
Im in Iowa. Always wanted to hunt elk. Figured it was a far off dream. Got serious about it in my early 30s and finally made at trip at 31. Immediately regretted not going sooner. Financially it's way more achievable than you think. Go now. Make a plan for next year. Just camp by the road and hike in each day to reduce your initial cost of gear. Good boots, good pack, and a basic layering system. Also, start buying points so you aren't stuck doing the over the counter thing for long.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
T
Im in Iowa. Always wanted to hunt elk. Figured it was a far off dream. Got serious about it in my early 30s and finally made at trip at 31. Immediately regretted not going sooner. Financially it's way more achievable than you think. Go now. Make a plan for next year. Just camp by the road and hike in each day to reduce your initial cost of gear. Good boots, good pack, and a basic layering system. Also, start buying points so you aren't stuck doing the over the counter thing for long.

What state do you typically go to for it? and excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by start buying points so I'm not stuck doing over the counter for long?

OP
T
Are you new to hunting all animals, or just elk?
I am rather new to hunting all animals. I have some decent experience in waterfowl and some small game but that's about it. Elk will eventually be my end goal dream hunt, but I want to be learning everything that I can now until I am experienced enough to be able to elk hunt.

gabenzeke

WKR
What state do you typically go to for it? and excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by start buying points so I'm not stuck doing over the counter for long?
I go wherever I can draw a tag. In the west, most species and places require you to apply for and draw a tag, almost like a lottery system. In those places you earn a point every time you apply or can buy one point a year without applying. Those points work to sort of increase your odds of drawing. I'd highly suggest listening to podcasts with Randy Newberg or watching his YouTube videos on how getting tags works. There are places where you can just go and buy a tag over the counter, but those are becoming fewer and fewer. And those places generally see a ton of pressure. Not necessarily a bad thing, there are still elk there. But I'll take a unit that requires points over an over the counter unit any day. Colorado and Utah both have some over the counter opportunities. Montana, Wyoming, most of Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and others require points. New Mexico is one that does a draw but doesn't have points. It's completely random. Each state is very different. It's a really complex topic. The points game requires research. There are places where you can have a decades worth of points and still not be guaranteed to ever draw that tag in your lifetime.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I was new once too (Still feel like a noob most days.) Here's some resources:

Cutting the Distance #1 thru #126. https://www.themeateater.com/listen/cutting-the-distance

Thing 1: Best advice I can give: Don't be a gear slut. (Ask me how I know.)

All the money you spend on gear is money you aren't spending on hunting. And your brain will trick you, because when you buy gear, you get a dopamine hit that makes you feel like you're doing hunting stuff. It's a lie. Don't fall for it.

Thing 2: Get the following stuff:

-- A rifle with a good scope. Get something like a 6.5 Creedmoor/7mm-08/308, with an SWFA 3x9. That's it. Don't read anything more, don't research for hours/days/weeks. Get a rifle, sight it in, move on. Do not focus on ballistics research. It's of no use to you, and is an unnecessary distraction. Be a hunter.

-- Good boots. These will cost around $400. Get good boots.

-- External frame pack. I used a Camp Trails for a long time. It works. Not pretty, but works. If you're hurting for cash, find one on ebay or craigslist or your local classifieds. They pop up often for $40.

-- Inreach. It'll help you sleep better, and your family sleep better.

That's it. Honest. This will get you started. Cobble together whatever binos/clothes/tents/sleeping bags/Ramen noodles you need, and go hit the mountains. Sitka Gear and Peak Refuel are not needed (yet.)

Right now you don't have enough experience to evaluate Gucci Gear. Field Time will fix this. If you spend enough time innawoods, you'll be able to fine-tune your equipment based on how/where you find yourself hunting. This will save you (no joke) thousands and thousands of dollars. Again, ask me how I know.

Save your money, accumlate $$$ for gas (not gear), book a week off work, and then go. Start camping/hiking/hunting. If you're in the woods enough, you'll eventually start to find critters. In the mean time, you'll have assembled enough basic kit that you'll be able to kill an elk, should you find them. It may not be the prettiest setup (that'll come with time, as you find what works best for you) but it will still work just fine.

So in summary, repeat after me: "I will not be a gear slut. I will focus on hunting, not accumulating gear. Time innawoods is always the best use of my time and money."

If I think of other stuff, I'll add it.

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
Screw the guides! You don't need them and they're doing a great job of trying to steal from DIY hunters in most states anyway.

Go now! Lots of great options and opportunities. I recommend picking a few states you can get some points in for some low point tags in the near future. In the meantime, look at options for what you can hunt sooner, rather than later. You said elk is your dream hunt, but do you have thoughts about other animals? Mule deer, antelope, etc. Antelope makes for a great first hunt out west and there are tons of options to hunt them DIY.

There are tons of options on how to hunt too, and how you choose to do so will have implications for the type of gear you'll want to get. Lots of us get pretty hung up on gear, but the truth is the most important thing is to get out there and experience it-- Swaro vs. Nikon, Kuiu vs. cheap cotton clothes, etc. doesn't matter much in the end (even though there are a million posts suggesting otherwise). For the record, good gear does matter, just not nearly as much as whether you get your butt out hunting or not.

Two suggestions- 1) get in good shape (this will have huge implications for your life, not just hunting), and 2) become an info junkie. Lots of us on here have read a million threads and books, listened to podcasts, studied draw odds, been to a thousand gear websites, and on and on. Learn as much as you can before you go, then begin your real education when you get out there and get your boots on the ground. Enjoy the journey- it's pretty awesome. Good luck!

OP
T
I was new once too (Still feel like a noob most days.) Here's some resources:

Cutting the Distance #1 thru #126. https://www.themeateater.com/listen/cutting-the-distance

Thing 1: Best advice I can give: Don't be a gear slut. (Ask me how I know.)

All the money you spend on gear is money you aren't spending on hunting. And your brain will trick you, because when you buy gear, you get a dopamine hit that makes you feel like you're doing hunting stuff. It's a lie. Don't fall for it.

Thing 2: Get the following stuff:

-- A rifle with a good scope. Get a 6.5 Creedmoor/7mm-08/308, with an SWFA 3x9. That's it. Don't read anything more, don't research for hours/days/weeks. Get a rifle, sight it in, move on. Do not focus on ballistics research. It's of no use to you, and is an unnecessary distraction. Be a hunter.

-- Good boots. These will cost around $400. Get good boots.

-- External frame pack. I used a Camp Trails for a long time. It works. Not pretty, but works. Find one on ebay or craigslist or your local classifieds. They pop up often.

-- Inreach. It'll help you sleep better, and your family sleep better.

That's it. Honest. This will get you started. Cobble together whatever binos/clothes/tents/sleeping bags/Ramen noodles you need, and make it happen.

Right now you don't have enough experience to evaluate Gucci Gear. Field Time will fix this. If you spend enough time innawoods, you'll be able to fine-tune your equipment based on how/where you find yourself hunting.

Save your money, start saving for gas $$$, book a week off work, and then go. Start camping/hiking/hunting. If you're in the woods enough, you'll eventually start to find critters.

But repeat after me: "I will not be a gear slut. I will focus on hunting, not accumulating gear. Time innawoods is always the best use of your time and money."

If I think of other stuff, I'll add it.
This is all great advice that I will for sure heed. I appreciate all of this and you taking the time to help me out. I have a good idea of the things that will work and will not work for me so I have at least that going for me. I have a good amount of tactical gear that I've found a way to convert and use and really help me out. For instance in waterfowl hunting, I have a few chest rigs from tactical shooting that I picked up a shotgun shell holder for and now it houses my binos and a box of shells perfectly.

I am for sure more interested in getting into the woods more than I am the gear that I need, outside of the things that are 100% needed. I think the only things I really really need off the bat, when I do get started, will be boots, a rifle ad scope (have a good hookup for this as I worked for an FFL for years), and a tent. Can you make any suggestions on where to start looking for boots?

OP
T
Screw the guides! You don't need them and they're doing a great job of trying to steal from DIY hunters in most states anyway.

Go now! Lots of great options and opportunities. I recommend picking a few states you can get some points in for some low point tags in the near future. In the meantime, look at options for what you can hunt sooner, rather than later. You said elk is your dream hunt, but do you have thoughts about other animals? Mule deer, antelope, etc. Antelope makes for a great first hunt out west and there are tons of options to hunt them DIY.

There are tons of options on how to hunt too, and how you choose to do so will have implications for the type of gear you'll want to get. Lots of us get pretty hung up on gear, but the truth is the most important thing is to get out there and experience it-- Swaro vs. Nikon, Kuiu vs. cheap cotton clothes, etc. doesn't matter much in the end (even though there are a million posts suggesting otherwise). For the record, good gear does matter, just not nearly as much as whether you get your butt out hunting or not.

Two suggestions- 1) get in good shape (this will have huge implications for your life, not just hunting), and 2) become an info junkie. Lots of us on here have read a million threads and books, listened to podcasts, studied draw odds, been to a thousand gear websites, and on and on. Learn as much as you can before you go, then begin your real education when you get out there and get your boots on the ground. Enjoy the journey- it's pretty awesome. Good luck!
Thank you! I really appreciate this! Unfortunately I am limited to having to hunt in state for now, but that is only because we are house hunting and things are crazy for right now. Once we get that all settled down I am going to deep dive into it more than I am now. For now I am just waiting for rifle season locally for deer so I can get out in the woods. Lots of times I find myself going out in the woods on public lands just simply to be in the woods. The more I am there, the more I learn.

I have though about some other hunts and things that I would love to do. For now I am trying to stay focused on short term goals since they will be the most attainable. Locally I am going to deer hunt this year, I am waterfowl hunting every chance I get (and boy do I love waterfowl hunting!). To answer your question, I do have goals beyond an elk, but to me, for now anyways, the elk seems like a lifetime type hunt and I would be extremely satisfied and happy with just doing that. Long term goals for the next 5-20 years, I would like to go hunt Aoudad, Red Stag and bull Tahr in NZ, and eventually make my way to Africa some day. Those are all big dreams but I know they are more than attainable both physically and financially.

As far as getting in shape, that is (luckily) something I have spent years focusing on. I don't want to be the biggest buffest guy whatsoever, but healthy and capable? Absolutely!

As far as information diving, where would you suggest I start other than here? I currently try to read as many articles as I can, watch hunting shows and youtube channels to learn from others, and listen to podcasts. I would say that of the bunch of things I have started doing, I have learned the most form, reading these types of forums and listening to podcasts. A few that I have listened to are Beyond the Kill, Meat Eater Podcast, and Live Q or Die with his Africa trip stories. As much as folks hate him, KB is the reason I went out on a limb to start hunting. I give him absolute credit for that.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I am for sure more interested in getting into the woods more than I am the gear that I need
We all tell ourselves that, and then in the off-season we get sucked into the gear abyss. Don't fall for it. Focus.

Can you make any suggestions on where to start looking for boots?
Boots are too personal. I have narrow feet, so Hanwag is my go-to. But Crispi, Kenetrek, Schnees, Lowa, and probably some others that I can't think of are what you're looking for. Personally, I prefer an all-leather, non-goretex boot, but that's just me. Find what fits you best, and go with that.

Don't forget to add some gaiters while you're at it.

Gerbdog

WKR
Your lucky your getting started early and in your early 20's. No matter what... if you keep coming out here and hunting every year.... you can be an expert elk hunter by the time you retire from the sport just with time and effort put in.

Learn your hunting weapon of choice, bring layers for all weather, and good boots. The rest you'll learn as you go.

Brings it around to the last part: Dont get analysis paralysis. Just come on out west and start hunting as soon as you can. You're going to learn more in that first season with boots on the ground then you'll ever manage by sitting at home in your own head. Dont bother trying to be an expert elk caller before you come out west, dont bother only coming out west once you've built the entire sitka gear setup, or waiting on some X piece of gear for XXXX amount of money. Plenty of people kill elk with never calling, and people hunted and killed elk long before all the new hunting gear ever came out.

Really though, there is a load of information on elk hunting all over the internet, spend the off season looking over all of that and then just come out and hunt. You'll be shocked when you realize what real elk hunting is vs what you saw on the internet.

the best advice, is start small. everything you need to learn can only be found in one place, the woods. doesnt matter if its deer or elk, they both have the same requirements and live in the same place. learn how to be respectful of the land, be sneaky, and watch what the animals do. then work on shooting skills be it bow or gun.

OP
T
Your lucky your getting started early and in your early 20's. No matter what... if you keep coming out here and hunting every year.... you can be an expert elk hunter by the time you retire from the sport just with time and effort put in.

Learn your hunting weapon of choice, bring layers for all weather, and good boots. The rest you'll learn as you go.

Brings it around to the last part: Dont get analysis paralysis. Just come on out west and start hunting as soon as you can. You're going to learn more in that first season with boots on the ground then you'll ever manage by sitting at home in your own head. Dont bother trying to be an expert elk caller before you come out west, dont bother only coming out west once you've built the entire sitka gear setup, or waiting on some X piece of gear for XXXX amount of money. Plenty of people kill elk with never calling, and people hunted and killed elk long before all the new hunting gear ever came out.

Really though, there is a load of information on elk hunting all over the internet, spend the off season looking over all of that and then just come out and hunt. You'll be shocked when you realize what real elk hunting is vs what you saw on the internet.
I appreciate the info and tips. I will for sure be out west as soon as I possibly can be and try to just learn as much as I can in the woods with boots on the ground.

Rich M

WKR
Read the post Son's First Elk. Nothing against these guys but they are just like you - not experienced, giving it a good go and thankfully able to make the opportunity count.

Simple rifle, decent scope and it's off to the races. I still hunt in jeans and flannel but with decent long johns and wicking socks.

You can go to CO or WY or ID or wherever you can draw a tag. Go sit on a finger in a drainage and see if that's the right place to be. The guys who think that you have to literally chase the elk will keep em moving and you'll get a shot - or see where they pass thru, go sit there and get a shot.

Don't make it any harder than it is.

I decided I wanted to hunt antelope and mule deer in like 1978. Antelope was 2017 and mule deer was 2019. Don't wait that long - it gets harder to go. We're hoping to go back next year for antelope again.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Okay. Here is my advice and worth every penny you are paying me.

Go with another elk hunter who had killed an elk before you follow them into camp or the woods. There is so much more than prior elk hunting experience you need to be successful in the woods to punch a bull elk tag. You can have a great adventure without punching you tag. You can test yourself against the mountain without punching your tag. Punching your tag is a huge pile of sprinkles on the elk hunting cupcake, though.

Have a plan for exactly where you will be at sunrise on Day 1 of the hunt. And have a Plan B and C and D. Put those coordinates in your OnX. You will have curveballs such as flats or a loose scope or early snow or wildfires or lots of hunters chasing anything brown to put it down or issues back home or at work, a sprained ankle, hot days that shuts down bugles and daylight movement, etc. That is part of the adventure. Hard to control most of those things. Accept the suck and move forward with what is a relatively even playing field.

Units out West are BIG. You can get lost. There are things our here that will try to kill you and not all have eyes. Hypothermia and getting lost and falling on a deadfall spar are deadly risks.

300-yard shots are not uncommon though many are under 200 yards in many units. Wind direction can vary in a few minutes or be swirling multiple directions between you and an elk 600 yards away.

Camp hygiene is something I do not think gets enough focus even by seasoned hunters. You need sleep. You need food to fuel your days. You need hydration. I try to not have to carry everything on my back but when you do you have to toss stuff out of your pack which would be useful. I like a sleep mask and earplugs. Is awesome staring at the glow of a full moon on your first night in the tent but you will pay the price. Hearing your buddy snore or the widow-maker trees creaking in the breeze is your enemy. I bring lots of food and try to have a hot meal once a day. I carry snacks to add fuel since is hard to eat 4000 calories in one meal and then sleep well at night. I like washed, dry socks as sweaty socks dried without washing will have tiny sharp salt crystals which will shred your skin.

Learn to tie boots so you lock down the toe zone yet allow some ankle flex. Check out mountain climber boot lacing directions. Break in those boots, too.

Know the impact on your ballistics when is warmer or colder, higher or lower elevation, steeper or windier than where you sighted your rifle.

Accept that you will most likely see every elk you are near. Great glassers see a bit of tine or an ear flick. I am not a great glasser so appreciate when are two of us glassing together.

Good luck. Go wear out some boot leather and let us know when you are headed West. You just might find someone to share a cold beverage near your hunt.

OP
T
Read the post Son's First Elk. Nothing against these guys but they are just like you - not experienced, giving it a good go and thankfully able to make the opportunity count.

Simple rifle, decent scope and it's off to the races. I still hunt in jeans and flannel but with decent long johns and wicking socks.

You can go to CO or WY or ID or wherever you can draw a tag. Go sit on a finger in a drainage and see if that's the right place to be. The guys who think that you have to literally chase the elk will keep em moving and you'll get a shot - or see where they pass thru, go sit there and get a shot.

Don't make it any harder than it is.

I decided I wanted to hunt antelope and mule deer in like 1978. Antelope was 2017 and mule deer was 2019. Don't wait that long - it gets harder to go. We're hoping to go back next year for antelope again.
Sounds fair and simple enough to give it a good go and make it count! Thank you sir!

Scoot

WKR
Some great info and recommendations in this thread. One thing I'd recommend is to go West every year. This will set a precedent and even if you get some pushback right away, they'll come to expect it eventually. My wife and my job knows that each September I'll be heading West without me saying a word about it. That wasn't always the case, but it certainly is now.

Regarding your question about where to look for info- sounds to me like you're on the right track!

OP
T
Some great info and recommendations in this thread. One thing I'd recommend is to go West every year. This will set a precedent and even if you get some pushback right away, they'll come to expect it eventually. My wife and my job knows that each September I'll be heading West without me saying a word about it. That wasn't always the case, but it certainly is now.

Regarding your question about where to look for info- sounds to me like you're on the right track!
Eventually I plan to do just that! I am fortunate enough that the misses would likely want to come with me. Once we get past this house buying mess and I will be heading out there!!

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Gather points in Colorado and/or Wyoming and consider drawing a non-trophy license (doe deer, cow elk, etc.). Buy a reliable bolt action rifle in whatever standard cartridge chambering floats your boat (perhaps a 308 or 30-06). Put a simple and reliable medium power scope (3x9, 4x12, etc.) on the rifle. Reliable trumps fancy on the mountain. The two things I use the most are my boots and binoculars.