Success on Adak

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
At the beginning of the year my wife and I read The Comfort Crisis together. We were challenged by the book and wanted to do something big to push ourselves. She was completely taken by the idea of a backcountry caribou hunt so I dove into trying to pull a last minute trip together.

We looked into doing the haul road but decided that given our lack of experience with caribou and Alaska in general we would be better served booking with an outfitter. After calling what seemed like every outfitter in the state, I stumbled onto the Adak Lodge and Outfitters. They had 2 slots open for the season so I jumped to book a September hunt.

With the trip booked we started the Rokslider's favorite part of any hunt and started buying the gear we needed. Thanks to all the WKR's that provided info, advice and sales to help us get setup.

The hunt itself was filled with major ups and downs but we finally got it done with some buzzer beater kills. My friends offered to put together a video of trip with the footage we took so that we could have a memory to show our kids. Thanks Rod and Travis!

I would definitely recommend Adak if anyone is looking for a unique hunt. If you go, definitely contact Chris and Barb because the island is tough to hunt without a transporter. They absolutely made the trip a success and are some of the best people you'll ever meet.

If anyone has questions about tactics, gear or anything else I would be happy to share what we learned.

Can Texans kill caribou on Adak Island, AK?

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, thank you for sharing, I am in planning stages for a caribou hunt with my brother (lives in Juneau) and hope to follow in your footsteps. I will have to watch your video tonight so my apologies if you talk about it in there but any advice you could lend about how your fitness compared to the terrain or gear you loved/hated would be appreciated!

OP
B

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
Nice weather for that country.
Absolutely! We got pretty lucky with the weather for most of the time. We were out there. The first and last day were both cold, windy and rainy and one of the days we were out in the field was also. Beyond that, the weather was surprisingly pleasant.

OP
B

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, thank you for sharing, I am in planning stages for a caribou hunt with my brother (lives in Juneau) and hope to follow in your footsteps. I will have to watch your video tonight so my apologies if you talk about it in there but any advice you could lend about how your fitness compared to the terrain or gear you loved/hated.
We did a lot of rucking to prepare and both did quite a bit of running and cross training as well. The hills in the first area we hunted were much steeper than we expected and so traveling. Even relatively short distances up and down up and down was pretty exhausting. The second area we hunted had more gentle hills and was easier to traverse. Ultimately it's just like what they say that you can never train enough to be fully ready for something like this. With that being said, neither one of us are extreme athletes and we handled the hunt just fine.

ratel

FNG
Cool video. Thanks for sharing. Adak is on the list of hunts i'd like to do.

OP
B

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
I'm honestly not sure. Our theory is that they just tried to land on the tent and slipped off. The outfitter we used said he had never seen it before so I guess we were just unlucky.