Substitute for Jim Shockey's Gold Black Powder

Maybe a dumb question but I'm new to this ML thing so go easy.

I'm borrowing a muzzleloader this year for my first muzzleloader tag. I went and shot it for the first time today. The muzzleloader has been set up shooting .50 Cal - 245gr Powerbelt AeroTip bullets with Jim Shoeckey's Gold Black Powder Substitute Sticks (3ea 50gr sticks) with Winchester triple 7 209 primers.

The guy I'm borrowing from only has roughly enough bullets/powder/primers for another 8-10 shots and I'd like to keep shooting through this fall to get comfortable with it so I started looking for the components. Based on what I've been able to put together the Jim Shockey's Gold Black Powder sticks have been discontinued. Does anyone have a good recommendation on a substitute for this?

It also seems like based on my research that the 3ea 50gr sticks (150gr) are a little hot but since that's what he's been shooting through it I'm hesitant to change it.

DMuzz8

FNG
I think your best bet sticking with pellets would be the White Hots. Seems like they get brought up the most. I quit shooting pellets years ago and haven't looked back, but that's for a different discussion

OP
Dakota_Rookie
Thanks. Would it be safe to assume those 50gr pellets would be similar to the 50gr ofJim shockeys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMuzz8

FNG
I believe so, not sure what rifle you are using but 150gr Volume, is generally considered the MAXIMUM amount. I would try 2 pellets and see how accurately it shoots. I imagine your shoulder will thank you.

OP
Dakota_Rookie
The rifle is a Thompson .50 Cal OMEGA.

The guy I’m borrowing from said that he used to shoot 2 pellets out of it (100gr) but it didn’t shoot well. Someone suggested to him to use three and the rifle started shooting better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk