Sturdy boots without Gore-tex

TheCoyote

FNG
Howdy Rokslide!

I live in AZ and I am hiking in warm to hot temps often. My current boots are Lowa Baldo GTX which I love except for the fact that they are too hot! It is dry as a bone here, I do not need Gore-tex, I want something more breathable. I am looking for some advice on good sturdy boots without any type of waterproof liner. i.e. Gore-tex or similar.
I am carrying a pack on steep/ loose rock often so a somewhat sturdy sole (flex 3) would be nice. Not doing any serious mountaineering so too stiff is too stiff (flex 4,5). No sheep hunts in my future :)

I have looked at the Kennetrek Desert Guides but they are super stiff and also a real commitment at $430

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about a synthetic boot that maybe keeps the price down. I looked at some military style boots but what I have found all seem to be very flexible. Too flexible.

Leather lined boots are another option but I do not know much about them....

Thank you!

I have been wearing the Lowa Baffin pro leather lined a fair amount for about a year and a half. Per Lowa, they are the same as the Tibet version.

If that is stiffer than you want, they also make a leather lined Camino and another called the Trekker, as well as several others.

I think the Camino is probably the cheapest of the three.

My experience is that the leather lined are definitely more breathable than gore-tex.

yfarm

WKR
No fabric boots in the sw desert, thorns go thru like butter
unlined all leather, stitch down construction 6-8” tall, vibram lug sole.
Chippewa, Franks, Nicks, Whites depending on your price range.
Met a young NPS packer from Big Bend last fall. Had just bought a pr of Nicks packer boots, was sending back to get a lower heel put on, tall heel was causing back pain. See a lot of noise extolling the tall heels in logger type boots to use in mountainous terrain, have never seen a mountain hunting type boot with that architecture.

Are Garmont wide boots on the narrow side, if that makes any sense?

I have the wide Kennetrek everstep in wides and they are great for my feet.

Looking for a similar boot as the Garmont.

Has anyone tried the Belleville hot weather boots?

bonepoint

FNG
I have a pair of Scarpa Active SL for early season hunts. It is the non-gore-tex version of their Kinesis. Mountain/backpacking style boot with a more narrow fit. I love them.

Jimss

WKR
There are a number of crispis that come to mind. I work in 90 degree temps all day, every day in the summer and don’t have a problem with gortex crispis.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
check out our Beartooth Classic. And its on sale!

Thank you all for your replies. I certainly do appreciate it.

Those schnees leather-lined boots look really nice. Just wondering if the wide is wide enough (lol).

Do you know when Schnees have their sales typically in the calendar year?

I live in the Southeast and during the summer it is brutally humid.

I need the 9' ankle support these provide and would love to try leather-lined boots.

I hate Goretex in the summer here.

Are Garmont wide boots on the narrow side, if that makes any sense?

I have the wide Kennetrek everstep in wides and they are great for my feet.

Looking for a similar boot as the Garmont.

Has anyone tried the Belleville hot weather boots?
I don't know about the wide specifically, but Garmont are generally somewhat narrow. The toe box specifically comes to mind.

I went half a size up in their regular width boots.

check out our Beartooth Classic. And its on sale!
I just ordered a 10.5 wide. Been wanting to try out LL so see how they fit.