Struggling a bit on Spotter choices. Could use some advise

Luked

WKR
For my Sept archery hunt the area we are in has a lot of options for glassing basins etc.
This is only my 2nd time out west and have never used a spotter before.
Now I am not picky about the size of a bull etc, just looking to locate them.

I am not planning to buy a spotter but rent one instead for this year.
My problem is some of the areas as far as glassing locations that I have sort of picked out on mapping, some are over 2000 yards in distance and some are a tad further.
In this case would I be better off going with a bigger spotter with more magnification like a 20-60x85 over something like the smaller spotters in the 15-45x65 range.
Again just mainly looking to locate elk.
I also have a set of binos in 10x42.
Also plan to have a tripod as well.

Yeah, a spotter is not needed to find elk. If you need a spotter to spot see elk you are going to have a bad time trying to get to them or need a tag in the next unt.

6.5x284

WKR
Personally I'd rather rent a tripod and bino adapter for your bino's than a spotter. If you do take one 2,000 yards is not very far for a spotter and you don't need a 85 or even 65 class spotter. I'd look at the compact series of spotting scopes: Swaro STC/ATC or Kowa 55A/55S or older 553/554. They are going to be plenty for what you need with elk and keep your weight down.

Elk will stick out easily when they are up feeding. Prioritize getting to where you need to glass before light, and staying until it's dark. In September, generally if you find cows there will be a bull close by, even if you don't see him. He's in the same drainage just keeping an eye, ear, and nose on the herd.

Enjoy and post a picture when you get one! Remember WIND WIND WIND!

Last edited:

Geewhiz

WKR
I agree with the gentlemen who say you don't need a spotter if you will only be glassing distances up to 2k yards. However, a spotting scope can do many things that binos cannot at distances >2k yards.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
In this scenario I would carry a lightweight 50ish mm spotter with a large FOV. Mostly for confirming if the bull you find is legal/what you are looking for so you don't waste time stalking into animals you are not going to take and maybe a bit for glassing into timber for bedded animals.

But yeah, elk are big, giant glass isn't as important.

Jakerex

WKR
In this scenario I would carry a lightweight 50ish mm spotter with a large FOV. Mostly for confirming if the bull you find is legal/what you are looking for so you don't waste time stalking into animals you are not going to take and maybe a bit for glassing into timber for bedded animals.

But yeah, elk are big, giant glass isn't as important.

Agree with this statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk