String silencers

BowTrout

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at different string silencers. What material and brand are you using and how many on top and bottom?

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Right now I’m using the cat whiskers type. Two of them rolled together into one. I do that on the top and the bottom. I’ve liked them so far. Some brand called circuit archery on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use cat whiskers. I bought a roll of green, brown and black fishing jig material in 50 ft rolls. Enough for a lifetime of trad bows. 2 cut 1.5 inches rolled in a ball. Placed at l6/l10 node on the string, pure silence.

I just got a couple TTT strings this summer and they came with dynemia string silencers. I really like those a lot. Of course I don’t have a decibel meter to measure how quiet they are. They work extremely well and I don’t have to worry about the weather. Heterodyne spacing is key as well. Been doing that at for over 20 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some podcast guys went crazy on string silencers and used a decibel measuring device among other tests. Dyneema String Silencers were deemed the best in terms of dampening/silencing/least amount of grains on the string and no water absorption.

Beendare

WKR
I use Navajo Wool or Bison hair. I just use one puff on top and bottom around 11" from the tip.
What a slacker....

I only use Turkmenistanian Ibex fur....it's FAR Superior.....grin

No, just kidding....... I use wool and I like 4 total on the nodes...but its not all that much different than one top and bottom

Tradchef

WKR
What a slacker....

I only use Turkmenistanian Ibex fur....it's FAR Superior.....grin

No, just kidding....... I use wool and I like 4 total on the nodes...but its not all that much different than one top and bottom
I know right!!!! I actually got the bison hair in West Yellowstone 5 years ago. I know you aren't supposed to take anything from the park but there was a huge pile of it in the road and I was like that would make killer string silencers and it really does!!!!! But the Navajo Wool is great and is what I use most of the time and save my bison hair for limited use since I don't go to West or Gardiner much.

I currently use wool strands that I cut from my wife's knitting supplies, but haven't experimented. Keep in mind the concept of heterodyning with silencer placement: 1/3 length on one side and 1/4 length on the other: https://tradbow.com/heterodyning-and-bowstring-silencers/
I used to also do that rhen went to l6/l10 and it blew the 1/3-1/4 outta the water. Granted it’s a longbow to start, but you hear the arrow and not the bow. Stupid silent.

Beendare

WKR
I currently use wool strands that I cut from my wife's knitting supplies, but haven't experimented. Keep in mind the concept of heterodyning with silencer placement: 1/3 length on one side and 1/4 length on the other: https://tradbow.com/heterodyning-and-bowstring-silencers/

I'm going to have to try that....does it work?

Edit; I see in the comments of your link many commenting...but almost no one has actually tried it.

Last edited:

Stumpy208

FNG
I bought a roll of wool yarn and used it to make a couple puff ball type silencers and they work pretty well. I've got nothing else to compare it to but it did quiet down my now a lot. I bought the roll for like 7 bucks at a hobby store. It'll make more than I'll probably end up using.

Wellsdw

WKR
So my wife and I have alpacas and I decided after having them sheared this year, I would attempt to make string silencers out of the raw fiber. (I was hoping I would finally find some usefulness out of these lawn llamas) so far I have struck out. I believe the fiber needs to be spun into yarn first. If anyone is interested in trying make some pm me. I’ll see about getting some fiber to you.

Wrench

WKR
Some podcast guys went crazy on string silencers and used a decibel measuring device among other tests. Dyneema String Silencers were deemed the best in terms of dampening/silencing/least amount of grains on the string and no water absorption.
That was done by trad lab on the Push podcast.

I switched to 1" long sections of paracord sheathing in 4 places. Last friday I shot at a 6x7 bull at 8 yards (hit a stick hidden in the fireweed) and the bull never jumped the string. He stopped at 16 yards for a second look. My bow was obviously quiet. I was shooting my 58@30# uukha irbis limbs which are pretty dang zippy....and the puffs did great.

They do attract the little velcro seeds though.

wytx

WKR
Various types of wool and bison hair also, bison hair from the cow I took.
I got a bag of some kind of alpaca or something wool at at market one year, it was all about 3 inches long or so and works great with some stiffer bison hairs added in.