Stretchy and spacious mummy bag

SDHNTR

WKR
Been a Big Agnes system fan for a while but it’s time for a change. I sleep cold and those are especially cold. So I’ve had to pack a heavier bag to make up for the fact that their temp ratings are a joke. As I get older, ounces are starting to matter more. Yet, I also get claustrophobic af in a tight and constructive mummy bag. Looking for lightweight spaciousness, or the best compromise between the two.

What do I want?

Looking at a Montbell Hugger. Any others I should consider?

JNDEER

WKR
I have zero days afield with my newly purchased set up. Like you and many others BA has been the ticket for a long time, but they do sleep cold.

I upgraded to a higher rated pad and because I like to move around and am not a string bean, I went with the Zen Bivy system. Set up at home and tested for a night and slept great. How this will translate to a floor or floorless backcountry hunt- not sure yet.

jhm2023

WKR
Not sure if you interested in down but the Stone Glacier chilkoot is an incredible sleeping bag. I wouldn't call it stretchy but it is very roomy. I like to be able to move around a lot without getting tangled up in my bag and the room in the Chilkoot is really nice, plus the differential cut makes it where you don't get cold spots when you want to sprawl out. I would go as far to say it sleeps warmer than what the rating implies as well. The only downside to it I've found so far is I'm less inclined to want to get out of it in the early morning because its so comfortable.

Nemo Disco 15. I've had mine for 5 seasons now and love it. I'm a multiple position a night type of sleeper so it's great to be able to roll around inside the bag. Typically I use it as a quilt if it's above freezing but I've also used it down to 0 F while wearing only base layers and slept plenty warm. It also has little features that you don't realize how nice they are until you have them. Like waterproof toe box (I'm a tall dude and always have my feet on the tent wall), face covering, and the built in pillow stuff sack that you can stuff your clothes in for a nice pillow.

zacattack

WKR
Western mountaineering and feathered friends have some bags that are bit roomier. I currently have the ff puffin, it’s semi rectangular so there’s room to move around. I’ve also had the badger from western mountaineering and it’s a bit roomier too. Both are down so they are light and pack down a lot.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
My first thought was the Montbell Hugger when I read what you're looking for. Great bags.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I had a montbell. Good but not great. Swapped it for a Nemo forte. plenty roomy. Currently running a Kifaru slick bag. Not super light or compressible but roomy and tough as hell.

if you want down, look at western mountaineering bags.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Not sure if you interested in down but the Stone Glacier chilkoot is an incredible sleeping bag. I wouldn't call it stretchy but it is very roomy. I like to be able to move around a lot without getting tangled up in my bag and the room in the Chilkoot is really nice, plus the differential cut makes it where you don't get cold spots when you want to sprawl out. I would go as far to say it sleeps warmer than what the rating implies as well. The only downside to it I've found so far is I'm less inclined to want to get out of it in the early morning because its so comfortable.

2nd on this one.

Huge Montbell fan here but really don't like the new seamless ones. I bought one and quickly sent it back. If you can get what you want in a traditional spiral hugger they're the best.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Huge Montbell fan here but really don't like the new seamless ones. I bought one and quickly sent it back. If you can get what you want in a traditional spiral hugger they're the best.
Can you please elaborate? What did you like with the spiral and what did you not like with the seamless?

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Sea to summit Ascent 3 is what I use from mid September to June in the low country and year round in the high country. It’s got enough options to let out heat that I don’t worry about overheating. The footbox is super roomy so I usually throw my clothes for the next day in there to help fill in the space/have warm clothes the next morning.

I’m not gonna sit here and say I have decades of experience with it but I really like it. Anytime I haven’t brought it I’ve been cold.

I have the Nemo Stalker Long - Am 6’5 250 and just spent a week in alaska with it. It has so much room, I am a side sleeper and toss and turn and had a crazy amount of space.

I have two regular super stretch bags and two spirals and bought a seamless to replace my down spiral. I crawled in it to try and immediately put it away and returned it. The seamless did not have the stretch stitching that gives you the stretching room and snugs the bag against your body. I also tried two WM bags and returned those. I got lucky and bought a spiral borrow before the change. The thing is amazing.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I have two regular super stretch bags and two spirals and bought a seamless to replace my down spiral. I crawled in it to try and immediately put it away and returned it. The seamless did not have the stretch stitching that gives you the stretching room and snugs the bag against your body. I also tried two WM bags and returned those. I got lucky and bought a spiral borrow before the change. The thing is amazing.
They claim it hugs and stretches. I’m bummed to hear this. Wish the spirals were still available.

They claim it hugs and stretches. I’m bummed to hear this. Wish the spirals were still available.
They are in the 650 fill. This is the down one I have. Even the fabric in more comfortable than other bags. I'm probably gonna buy a new one before it's discontinued.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
They are in the 650 fill. This is the down one I have. Even the fabric in more comfortable than other bags. I'm probably gonna buy a new one before it's discontinued.
Yeah was sure hoping for the weight savings of the 800+

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Western mountaineering and feathered friends have some bags that are bit roomier. I currently have the ff puffin, it’s semi rectangular so there’s room to move around. I’ve also had the badger from western mountaineering and it’s a bit roomier too. Both are down so they are light and pack down a lot.
My WM badger is great, if something happened to it, I’d replace it immediatlly, great product.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Are WM bags spacious? Stretchy? Side sleepage? Flop around all night friendly?

I know they are very well made, but I get claustrophobic and can’t handle feeling constrained.