Strategy for Other Hunters in "Your" Spot

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
Go hunt. Feel out the guys and their skill levels if possible. If they know what they're doing, camp a respectable distance away and stick with your plan. If they are going to blow out the whole basin, focus on escape routes. Other hunters aren't necessarily a bad thing. If they've stashed something in an area to hold a spot and you beat them to it, their problem.

Even if there were dibs, it sounds like someone else already them. Old fire ring, stashed wood, and no other sign of someone being there--which is good 'leave no trace' practice. Moreover, you said last year was the first time you had ever been up there.

It's best to be flexible. Research several entry points and several different locations accessible from those points. Animals move and so should we.

OP
S
@StoneTrees

Have you thought about what you will do if you show up first and get setup first and then they come in and squat right on top of you because that was "their" spot?
I have thought that through a bit and so much of it depends on the kind of person they are. The optimistic side of me says that I might find a good hunting partner out of this scenario or someone to at least compare notes with after they move on. The pessimistic side of me says I move down the ridge or to another camp spot, but don't change my hunt. I think the reality of this hypothetical would be somewhere in between and we'll coordinate somehow to keep from stepping on each others toes.

OP
S
Even if there were dibs, it sounds like someone else already them. Old fire ring, stashed wood, and no other sign of someone being there--which is good 'leave no trace' practice. Moreover, you said last year was the first time you had ever been up there.

It's best to be flexible. Research several entry points and several different locations accessible from those points. Animals move and so should we.
I do think there's a subset of the hunting community that does believe having history with a spot or stashing wood/gear/water/etc. overrides first-come, first-served principles (hence my initial post). They might view the stash of wood as a way to mark their territory or maybe claim that they were there first. The fire ring has likely been there for years and years so I can't give that much credence.

Regardless, if someone shows up during the season after me, I'd be surprised to see them willing to move on, given their investment in the spot. Let the negotiations begin!

It's public. First come, first served.

I wouldn't touch the fire wood and would probably set my camp up out of the way, but I'd still camp there.

People don't get to call dibs on public by leaving their stuff there.
Or by hunting it several years in a row.

Beat them there or it's not your spot this year.

I do think there's a subset of the hunting community that does believe having history with a spot or stashing wood/gear/water/etc. overrides first-come, first-served principles (hence my initial post). They might view the stash of wood as a way to mark their territory or maybe claim that they were there first. The fire ring has likely been there for years and years so I can't give that much credence.

Regardless, if someone shows up during the season after me, I'd be surprised to see them willing to move on, given their investment in the spot. Let the negotiations begin!

I like your point about turning the situation into meeting a good, new hunting partner, if at all possible. Chances are, anyone that remote, in that particular spot, may have more in common with you in terms of hunting style than some random Billy Bob doing a deer drive or something. People tend to meet us where we are, so if we present an expectation of conflict, or an expectation of friendliness, we'll usually get that mirrored back at us. Usually.

Hnthrdr

WKR
No body owns jack on federal land. That said I will generally give a wide berth but I have spots where I’m chasing elk or have been and muzzy boys show up a day early. I’m not, not going up that drainage after bugling elk because they plopped a tent at the mouth of it. Especially 2 days before their season…. Also you never know. Maybe it’s an elk hunter? If that is the spot you glass from I’d be there first and just do your thing. Have a conversation if you even see them, and be cordial but even the first come first served isn’t always a hard and fast rule. I’m not moving trail heads or drainages cause you have more PTO and showed up before me. But if it will ruin your hunt or not allow it go well for you then have backups. I hunt far too much crowded public to move every time I see someone. Honestly most guys won’t glass a spot for more than 10-20 minutes before they mosey off.
Just my thoughts but you gotta do you

The fire ring may have been used for years, by that same party. Or just prior to you being there, or by nonhunters. We just don't know for sure. But, I think it's best to treat people with the benefit of the doubt, and to not paint ourselves into a corner. We just never know the full story or where the animals may be so there's no advantage to over-analyzing or over-planning. Scout some other areas too so that if your planned ridge doesn't pan out for any reason.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
The firewood stash, a campfire ring... the time invested in scouting or history of use, has no bearing on who gets their first or who can use the spot.

Hnthrdr

WKR
The who gets there first sometimes sits wrong with me too…. Obviously I have deferred and changed plans, dude was puppy guarding a wallow a week ago so I hunted somewhere else. Yet it’s all public. Say you find a sweet buck, an outfitter pays some yokel to sit on the buck for weeks so big money can come “shoot” it. You just don’t get to hunt the buck anymore cause some dip shizzy was there first… ehhhh doesn’t sit right. Bottom line be respectful and try not to be a jerk but it’s public land.

I will offer one piece of advice that everyone can and should use.

When hunting in an area with other folks, instead of taking on the role and attitude of them being competition, be part of a team.

This doesn’t mean you need to hunt for them, but being friendly and cool goes a lot further. Who knows, maybe they’re up there for a different animal altogether and would be willing to share intel with you. Even if they’re there for the same animal and season maybe they’re leaving before you and would be willing to share insight or what they’ve seen to make your season better. Likewise, you should be willing to share the same.

The who gets there first sometimes sits wrong with me too…. Obviously I have deferred and changed plans, dude was puppy guarding a wallow a week ago so I hunted somewhere else. Yet it’s all public. Say you find a sweet buck, an outfitter pays some yokel to sit on the buck for weeks so big money can come “shoot” it. You just don’t get to hunt the buck anymore cause some dip shizzy was there first… ehhhh doesn’t sit right. Bottom line be respectful and try not to be a jerk but it’s public land.

Agree. If an outfitter is doing something that unethical, then they deserve to have a random dirty hippie showing up for a campout of their own to do yoga, loudly, with cow bells, all over those basins and hillsides for a couple of weeks. Paying staff to camp on a spot for weeks before the client shows up is the hunting equivalent of the bike-riding a-holes who smugly run right through stop signs and make mountain roads dangerous because of their own arrogant sense of privilege.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I have thought that through a bit and so much of it depends on the kind of person they are. The optimistic side of me says that I might find a good hunting partner out of this scenario or someone to at least compare notes with after they move on. The pessimistic side of me says I move down the ridge or to another camp spot, but don't change my hunt. I think the reality of this hypothetical would be somewhere in between and we'll coordinate somehow to keep from stepping on each others toes.

Sounds like a great attitude I suspect you will do well sir.

IDVortex

WKR
Get in first, wait until they show up then fight to the death. Whoever survives gets to have that spot and bragging rights. If you're not willing to fight to the death for this spot, you didn't really want it in the first place....

*this is not legal advice, consult your attorney.

199p

Lil-Rokslider
Get in first, wait until they show up then fight to the death. Whoever survives gets to have that spot and bragging rights. If you're not willing to fight to the death for this spot, you didn't really want it in the first place....

*this is not legal advice, consult your attorney.
Don't forget the winning prize of cut firewood.

As i see it its all public land, dont chase the same buck or stag or bull that someone else is actively chasing and should be rather drama free.
Its apart of what makes public land so frustrating but also so rewarding to hunt.