Stone Glacier VS Kifaru

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure this thread is on the forums somewhere but I couldn't find it so here goes. I have owned a few different Kifaru's over the years and they are great packs. I have yet to try a Stone Glacier although I'd really like to. Does anyone out there have experience with both packs? I'd like to know the differences and similarities. Will the stone glacier packs be as durable as kifaru? what's stone glacier's warranty like? I'm trying to talk myself into buying the terminus which is the reason for this thread. Please some people with experience here chime in..

shaun

WKR
There is a review comparing both packs on the home page that Bitterrootbulls did. Should be under "Gear"

krossh, is there a reason you want to switch? Is the kifaru lacking in an area that you think the SG doesn't? Just curious...

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Todd, I haven't really put the highcamp through it's paces yet, but I have it loaded up with all of my gear and I'm not a huge fan of the lack of organization. I understand that adding zippers and pockets adds a tremendous amount of weight (and stone glacier doesn't seem to have any better organization per se) but I'd like to find a better balance of lightweight and organization. The only thing i really dislike about the kifaru is the k connectors. I prefer the fastex buckles. It's merely a personal preference. I will say that the highcamp with everything in it carry's the load EXTREMELY well and I know it will stand up to years of abuse. The main reason I'm entertaining the switch is because I want to know the differences.

krossh,
I have the Kifaru Highcamp 7K on a bikini frame and the SG Sky 7400. The layout and quick ability of the SG to strap down a load is awesome. Both work well and the Kifaru edges out the SG on comfort when the loads get into that 100 pound range. Durability wise, I cannot say which would win. The SG has some internal pockets and the lid with the pocket on it as well as a small outside, open top pocket to tuck tripod legs. The big center zip on the SG is awesome and very useful for quickly getting to my spotting scope. Overall both packs are superb. If you need a lighter pack with a bit more organization, the SG is definitely worth looking into. Next year I will likely have a custom bag, almost identical to the Sky pack made to fit onto the Kifaru Bikini frame.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I understand that adding zippers and pockets adds a tremendous amount of weight (and stone glacier doesn't seem to have any better organization per se) but I'd like to find a better balance of lightweight and organization. The only thing i really dislike about the kifaru is the k connectors. I prefer the fastex buckles.

Depending on how many pockets you want to add there are lightweight methods for adding pockets with zippers. Also it is easy to switch out the k-connectors for buckles. I have some buckles you can try. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been switching back and forth between the SG Sky 7400 and the Kifaru EMR II Duplex over the last few months. I go back and forth over which one I like better. I'll probably take the SG sheep hunting because its freakishly light, but I really like the versatility I have running both. ; )

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks DaveS -- I might have to take a look at your setup one of these days. I thought about just ordering some of the fastex buckles and that would solve that issue. I feel like my kifaru is freakishly light. Like I said, the way it carry's my hunting gear feels great. What I think I'll have to do is wait until I get down to Bozeman and talk Kurt into letting me touch, feel, and put on a SG. gosh darn decisions..

Kifaru is my preferred pack. But I honestly have never tried a stone glacier so can't comment on it. Started using Kifaru packs years ago and won't ever change

I think you need to look at the EMR II. I prefer it to my old high camp. It has more pockets for organization, and no K connectors. The center zip sure makes it nice as well.

I think you need to look at the EMR II. I prefer it to my old high camp. It has more pockets for organization, and no K connectors. The center zip sure makes it nice as well.
i really like my emr so far, but its kind of apples to oranges with the highcamp and terminus. to run either of those packs youve gotta be a gram weenie, not sure the emr fits that.