Stone Glacier vs Exo

I am trying to decide between getting a stone glacier pack or an Exo Pack. Has anyone had both and what are the pros and cons to both packs. Thanks in advance!

captchet

FNG
I do not own a SG but I currently run a EXO 3500. I absolutely love it. I switched to that from a Kifaru Duplex Timberline. Wanted a something a bit smaller.

Pros: Very comfortable, durable, fits me great, good adjustment, frame flexes perfectly. I love the roll top bag. I trained with heavy loads with no issues. (That’s what they are all built for)

Cons: I’d like to have a few additional exterior pockets.

I’ve also seen excellent reviews on SG. I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

Hope this helped some!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth82

FNG
I can’t speak to the Exo but have owned and used the SG Sky Talus 6900 for two Stone’s sheep seasons now. I can’t say enough good about it. It’s proven comfortable, adjustable, strong, light weight and best of all simple. By simple I mean, no bells and whistles which in my experience is where problems and malfunctions arise.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also stuck between these two brands. The SG seems more minimalistic, but I've read the frame can pack like a mule. Granted I have heard the Exo can haul quite the load too.

FURMAN

WKR
I spent quite a bit of time with both. I thought both were very comfortable when loaded. I ended up staying with the sky guide 7900 for the bag.

I’m running the EXO 3500. I’m super happy with it. It’s very comfortable even with all my camping gear. I really like the fact that you can cinch the straps to make the bag thin and compact, The only con for me was it not being fully waterproof without the $80 dry bag, I just purchased a sea to summit backpack cover for 30 bucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are the top two options IMO. Have a k2 3500 and a new xcurve 6900.

My thought is the exo is less restrictive feeling and more comfortable with light loads. The SG hip belt MIGHT keep the load up better than my K2 but I probably won’t know until I get a dead critter in it. The k2 has had its time with a few elk pack outs and a couple deer and I know it works well.

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also in this same boat. And now the new Exo 4800 seems like the perfect size. I kinda wish SG had more color options. The majority of my hunti will be in the mid west and east. Light grey doesn’t blend in the best. Let us know what you decide on!

I’m also in this same boat. And now the new Exo 4800 seems like the perfect size. I kinda wish SG had more color options. The majority of my hunti will be in the mid west and east. Light grey doesn’t blend in the best. Let us know what you decide on!
Unless you are hunting turkeys, I don’t think it would matter, even then it would be a stretch. That being said, SG is starting to offer more color variations. I’d try get your hands on both and see which fits you better. I have a SG xcurve and it fits me like a glove, can’t say enough positive about it and the guys that run SG.

I just went through this exact debate with myself a few days ago.

I bought an exo 4800 and SG 3300. ended up returning the exo and going with SG.

Exo has a super comfy pack frame, belt, etc.. and also seams a bit more heavy duty. SG belt and frame are a bit smaller, slimmer, though not chinsy by any means. The big thing for me was bag layout. While Exo has a few more pockets, like the side pockets and water bottle stretch pockets, I cant get on board with the roll top design. it seems a bit sloppy when loaded for day hunts/truck camping, whitch is 50% of my hunts. I suppose if i got used to packing a certain way and adapted to the side access I could have made it work, but I do like simplicity and tidiness of the SG.

all things said, if exo had a cleaner zip top I would have kept it.

Both companies have excellent customer service. cant say enough good things about exo. they helped alot with questions and communication with the launch of the new packs. I live right in Bozeman so i just ran to SG on a lunch break on a weekday. I would assume they would be just as helpful over the phone.

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a K3 earlier this year. Packed out a muley, and it was not fun. Went in and had them help me dial fit (I live in Boise). Got a good deal on SG, so I ordered an X curve. Borrowed my buddies MR Beartooth 80. Load all packs up w 70lbs and went for hikes. The Exo K3 and MR both sagged significantly for me under heavy load. The SG was rock solid. I think the SG belt is a little smaller and has more firm padding. The load shelf also holds the load higher on the frame. With this combo, the SG was rock solid and kept the load on the hips much better.

I've been using the K2 3500 for the last 2 seasons. I've used it to help pack out 4 mule deer and 2 bull elk. I do use the load crib accessory with my pack as it helps keep the weight up higher on the frame. It is awesome and I couldn't be more pleased with the performance.