Stone Glacier Tokeen 2600 day pack review (forth coming)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well definitely room for a couple of nights; tight but doable.

cxBfyZ7.jpg

v4tb2B8.jpg

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Possibly, it's definitely water resistant but think during heavy rain it gets in at zippers and seams. During the fall it hasn't been an issue (snow/light rain), but last spring bear (heavy moisture) the bag got wet and stayed wet until I hung it with all zippers open and wiped it out. It wasn't really an issue, just something to be aware of.

Noisy is relative. Out west it hasn't been an issue, but had it for a week in south Texas still hunting/spot and stalk archery Nilgai and whitetail. I really noticed the noise then. Cordura wouldn't of been too much quieter, but it's noticeable. That is also when I noticed it snagging on everything and got a few tears, but it's south Texas, everything is pokey, dry, and sharp.

I don't want to clog up the thread, looking forward to the review, it's a bag I am definitely interested in.

I have the Peregrine and Merlin Talon by SO. Totally agree, these technical fabrics are far noisier than Cordura.

They also stand out like a sore thumb compared to what can be done with Cordura.

On the upside, they don’t wet out like Cordura and can be made really watertight. In rainy/very damp environments, they offer water resistance without impeded bag access.

Otherwise, Cordura has many advantages that I prefer.

Scooter74

FNG
I've been looking at the Tokeen pretty hard and this has been the best review I've found... wondering how it compares to the Kiowa and which would be best as a do-it-all travel/hike/gear hauler. I really like the Velcro panel in the Kiowa but this Tokeen looks a little more streamlined for moving through urban environs... have you (or anyone) been able to compare them?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been looking at the Tokeen pretty hard and this has been the best review I've found... wondering how it compares to the Kiowa and which would be best as a do-it-all travel/hike/gear hauler. I really like the Velcro panel in the Kiowa but this Tokeen looks a little more streamlined for moving through urban environs... have you (or anyone) been able to compare them?

I haven't tried one out, but have handled one in their store. The Kiowa has more external organization and more volume overall. The Kiowa has a more substantial belt and iirc, the shoulder strap are a little more heavily padded as well. Larger volume too.

The Tokeen is lighter with the more water resistant fabric. As you say, it's definitely more streamlined.

Needs a mesh stretch panel on the back and bottle pockets

Yeah I wouldn't complain if it had those.

I haven't tried one out, but have handled one in their store. The Kiowa has more external organization and more volume overall. The Kiowa has a more substantial belt and iirc, the shoulder strap are a little more heavily padded as well. Larger volume too.

The Tokeen is lighter with the more water resistant fabric. As you say, it's definitely more streamlined.

Yeah I wouldn't complain if it had tho

Yeah I wouldn't complain if it had those.
Also prefer the small weight penalty for side pockets if they decide to come out with a frame friendly version. Please.