Stone Glacier Tokeen 2600 day pack review (forth coming)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks to the folks from Stone Glacier and Rokslide, I just received a Tokeen 2600 day pack to review. Plan is to plenty of miles on it and play with weight to see what is reasonable for this pack.

Just got it today. Stuck on the scale to see if it jives with SG's weight. My weight 2 lbs 15.2 oz, listed weight 2 lb 15 oz :) I removed the frame and belt (both easily removed) to weigh them. Frame weighs 9.2 oz, belt 6.8 oz and the bag (with shoulder straps) 1 lb 15.2 oz- 2 lbs 15.2 oz total.

So stay tuned :)

w49Va4n.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad they sent it! Saw it at Expo and thought it perfect for some guys on here. You taking it on the Marshall hike or too small?

sndmn11

WKR
Can you:
1) Tell everyone how rad UltraPE is, or find me a flaw?
2) Compare it to the SO Flight(s) that I think you have/had?
3) **Share what the stay/sheet height is ish**? (is there any lift at all?)

Edit--> ** looks like a 24" "frame" from the product dimensions **

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Can you:

Comes out as a 22” for suspension/fesme, top pocket and bag raise up above that a tad. Avail is 20” for comparison.

UltraPE is indeed awesome.

mt100gr.

WKR
Please touch on the amount of belt real estate and whether pouches or bottle pockets work and how they'll fasten.

Can you:

I have the Terminus (same material I think?), flaws would be louder, seems to catch and tear on thorny brush more, and if it gets wet, you need to make an effort to dry it out, it’s not going to dry on the fly. Im still a big fan though.

sndmn11

WKR
I have the Terminus (same material I think?), flaws would be louder, seems to catch and tear on thorny brush more, and if it gets wet, you need to make an effort to dry it out, it’s not going to dry on the fly. Im still a big fan though.
My experience with UltraPE is that it's waterproof, very cut/tear resistant, and is a softer hand than other materials I have handled so I wouldn't call it noisy.

I wonder if your experiences are due to the Terminus being made of UltraPE200 vs SO's use of UltraPE400.

My experience with UltraPE is that it's waterproof, very cut/tear resistant, and is a softer hand than other materials I have handled so I wouldn't call it noisy.

I wonder if your experiences are due to the Terminus being made of UltraPE200 vs SO's use of UltraPE400.
Possibly, it's definitely water resistant but think during heavy rain it gets in at zippers and seams. During the fall it hasn't been an issue (snow/light rain), but last spring bear (heavy moisture) the bag got wet and stayed wet until I hung it with all zippers open and wiped it out. It wasn't really an issue, just something to be aware of.

Noisy is relative. Out west it hasn't been an issue, but had it for a week in south Texas still hunting/spot and stalk archery Nilgai and whitetail. I really noticed the noise then. Cordura wouldn't of been too much quieter, but it's noticeable. That is also when I noticed it snagging on everything and got a few tears, but it's south Texas, everything is pokey, dry, and sharp.

I don't want to clog up the thread, looking forward to the review, it's a bag I am definitely interested in.

sndmn11

WKR
Possibly, it's definitely water resistant but think during heavy rain it gets in at zippers and seams. During the fall it hasn't been an issue (snow/light rain), but last spring bear (heavy moisture) the bag got wet and stayed wet until I hung it with all zippers open and wiped it out. It wasn't really an issue, just something to be aware of.

I don't want to clog up the thread, looking forward to the review, it's a bag I am definitely interested in.

That makes more sense! Stitch holes definitely need sealed.

Maybe @mtwarden can come up with some real use scenarios to test water ingress, and I guess in your experiences, water egress testing.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got out for 8 miles with the pack today. Plan was to snowshoe in 4 miles and then back out, when we got to the trailhead saw that the trail started out with ice and knew we would need spikes. I had my wife take her small daypack so I had to pack both sets of snowshoes which ended up working- one on each side and two in the middle (along w/ a small snow shovel).

YwrjqWC.jpg

Pack weighed ~ 25 lbs (about 8-ish more pounds than planned), but have to say it was plenty comfortable. It was more comfortable w/o the snowshoes however :)

dWKrK1S.jpg

I'm glad they sent it! Saw it at Expo and thought it perfect for some guys on here. You taking it on the Marshall hike or too small?

I think I can make it work; going to try a couple of 2-3 trips first to make sure I can get everything in it.

questions:

Yeah I'll make a comparison to the SO Flight.
The frame sheet is a smidge over 22"

Noise- UHMWPE is relatively soft to the hand and while not fleece quiet, pretty quiet; X-Pac is louder

I'm going to be in Bozeman the weekend after next, I'm definitely going to get something worked out for pockets and water—one way or the other. I noticed right away that I need water accessible and at least one pocket, preferably two.

Belt length- seems to be plenty, my waist is 32-33" and I had ~ 8" of extra belt hanging on both sides. I'll also add this pack doesn't have the "reverse" pull that I much prefer, but I think I still have one of their reverse pull kits somewhere. I'll see if I can rig that up.

Good idea on the water testing; I'll see what I can come up with. Just based on previous experience with other packs, UHMWPE is very water resistant. Stitching and seams and can let in some water, but in my experience very little.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just watched their short video and it wasn’t clear if it A, has a dedicated bladder sleeve and trislide attachment points or B, just the attachment points (I think this is how SG does all their bags?). Also x2 for wanting outer bottle pockets, I might not put a water in them but I always put something in those for easy access.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Tony- they just have the attachment points, they have a bladder sleeve that hangs off of those

https://www.stoneglacier.com/collections/accessories/products/hydro-sleeve

I'm hoping they can come up with viable belt pocket(s) and a hip bottle holder :)
I think they really need to embrace a stretch product, MR has the best material for this that I've seen. I have a hard time with in/out of stretch side pockets and prefer a "holster" but for a daypack I can live with it.

This pack crosses over in size with the MR popups to me, although the tokeen is a more useful bag layout for me. The popups are pretty heavy, but collapased frame height wise, there's a good overlap between tokeen and them.

The belt is like the avail and designed "clean" I think - but built-in or attaching belt pockets would be useful to me for this pack. I bought one blind to mess around with and let my avail go. I like the bag better for loading so far, the Avail is a bit goofy to load "full" the way the zipper goes at the top.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny I've owned three Avails over the years; use one, sell one—miss the pack, buy another, sell another; miss it buy another and then sell again :)

Good pack, really liked the "beavertail"- it was just a wee bit too small to get all my winter gear inside it.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I experimented a little with what it would look like for a 2-3 day trip. I think I can make it work. Have my 30 degree bag in the bottom (orange stuff sack), my solo shelter upright, XTherm pad and my pot/stove. Appears I'll have enough room for a stuff sack w/ my clothing and a couple of days of food.

Obviously not a dead of Winter setup, but for lots of shoulder season/summer looks doable :)

JxBaxPA.jpg

TXCO

WKR
I had an avail too and sold it. It was just a little too small and tricky for use. Ive had my eye on the tokeen and look forward to the review!

Im curious how solid you think lashing clothes or gear to the outside or bottom is? (Tripods, water, tent, jackets, etc) I did like the panel on the avail for the extra grab surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The lashings are pretty solid- see above pic w/ four snowshoes & shovel :).

The bottom straps are solid, but imho could be longer- pad or tripod, but nothing very bulky. Probably a rain jacket rolled tightly as well.

Kostrize

WKR
I had an avail too and sold it. It was just a little too small and tricky for use. Ive had my eye on the tokeen and look forward to the review!

Im curious how solid you think lashing clothes or gear to the outside or bottom is? (Tripods, water, tent, jackets, etc) I did like the panel on the avail for the extra grab surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve lashed a rifle to the side using just the straps. Some mild slippage after a couple hours in rough terrain but I should have used auto locking buckles. Pack carried it very well

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The lashings are pretty solid- see above pic w/ four snowshoes & shovel :).

The bottom straps are solid, but imho could be longer- pad or tripod, but nothing very bulky. Probably a rain jacket rolled tightly as well.
I was going to chime in and say the same thing - was surprised how short those bottom compression straps ended up being.