Stone Glacier Solo Review

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Overview
I bought the Stone Glacier Solo (3600 cubic inches with spotting scope pocket) in August 2019 from 1 Shot Gear in Denver. My initial purchase included a camp pocket and hydro sleeve. Both 1 Shot Gear and Stone Glacier were helpful in picking the bag and for the past 2 years with questions that arise. Since then, I have used this pack in a variety of activities here in New Mexico including hunting and carrying meat, backpacking, shed hunting, and cross-country skiing. I estimate I have camped 20-24 nights with it, mostly overnighters and a few 3 day/2 night trips. I have used it for dozens of day hikes. It has packed out two elk, one bull and one cow. The heaviest load was probably 75 pounds which included my camp in the bag, a bull’s hind quarter on the load shelf, and antlers on top. It does an excellent job for shed hunting and has plenty of adjustment in the straps for antlers. I love the pack.

bNSTEWtFVaXqhDUR0PCJmwlhXARELG8qGul3QH-DeB9-TMWyVjAoasNdmNVe2DEKr3MP3OORsaqYgDWX8Px_1Lmq-rgF32SZ5CmgER9QM4lUZD42Hfka4XlNwhoPhhS6xeCvYKlq
rFO_dhyCkBR16DZi1-64s6AMfluNo-f1dt2izQJIa2sq39wwv9bpj577pEmH5Y-YfW7fguQznDTl2rJjt98BamyMeDsdQTRRCPqj8X16tR-0tF5D0IbnKm4AVUpHb7rCHfGsd9pZ
51jnNGMrd_yLn7VuXaBzCQUUfbivs6F2f4A9UPpTOAUBBuYM88QTWwNDnxapnIG7-DefOv5tZhIgY-BHSyVdR1vdl70CHN3gf73R769_lu6cMAUeW-PMWYeBTa5qkWPNJKqtI6TL

Layout and Design
The bag itself has a main pocket and a top pocket. I like the simplicity because I pack in dry bags/packing cubes and organize that way. I have never had an issue with water getting inside the zippers or soaking through the bag, but I live in a very dry climate where rain storms are short so I haven’t thoroughly tested its waterproofness. However, for living in a hot, dry climate, the X-Curve frame is fairly breathable. It isn’t as breathable as the mesh back on an internal frame pack like my Osprey Aether, but I only notice it on really hot days.
Before archery season of 2020 I added a hydro lid, accessory pocket, large accessory pocket, and a load cell. I got the hydro lid because I was tired of packing the main pocket around my hydration bladder. The hydro lid claims to fit a 3L bladder, but I can only fill my HydraPak Force 3L to about 2.5L and get it to fit. I think this is due to the long shape of the bladder because I keep my Katadyn Hiker water filter in the same “back” pocket with a full reservoir. On a backpack hunt, the front lid pocket carries all of my food for the day as well as other things I might need to access quickly. I take off the hydro lid for day hikes because it isn’t really necessary and I can use the hydro sleeve.
The accessory pockets were necessary because I was filling my pants pockets with stuff. I keep the large pocket on my right and the small one on my left. The large pocket leaves enough room on the belt for me to attach my bear spray holster (plastic clip). I have not had any issues with the weight of these pulling on the hip straps and loosening them. The large pocket fits my iPhone 10 with a slim case with room to spare. Usually I carry sunscreen, toilet paper, wallet, keys, and a snack in my hip pockets.

DTDG8rD7rKu8cORg5W-kr0Xy1tEX_qFqJQrL8ySuFLNlDtnitCbxnQEZANG-RtF7p1696MWC3CLliyTUiS36I6d7S8l7DkItV0HYGK5hiYSrMQMnGzRJFXgQrNRr86UWCeEhMSc8
xND2M2VaLfunvVK3dTbS_xCaP0ANSGEFyZmxQuwt7fS8Ka7OD_1Z9eImZVB7JrM5ceuwOLYUHqlSqERlMOY47zWW-Ht5qxuV42I6mi_TgcTcqsjidY0xuWNwUTfyEIhsMdl9-d3h
HwzDoKZuM84VPtJE65B291GFdXprBDUy8tT3OJmcashZcEyWgSXyaUeCXOzWd9toYqoITLdGju9Qg2CIznP1z6k509Rv91m0uzdFldKCSGv5yI250F6Z6TCIUhe6mQFr4t91Ji6_

Frame and Belt
The frame carries weight outstandingly. It is way better than the old aluminum frame pack I used in previous years for packing out elk. The load shelf is pretty high on the frame and the straps that cinch it down are long which is helpful for securing the hip end of a hind quarter. Unfortunately, I haven’t spent much time comparing it with other comparable packs so I can’t provide much reference. My dad used his Exo K2 to pack out my bull with me and I didn’t think either frame provided a noticeable advantage over the other. My friends that shot the cow both had MR Guide Light frames and neither complained about discomfort on the pack out.
I am 6’ tall and weigh anywhere from 170-190 depending on the time of the year. I have always used the medium belt and it works great with plenty of adjustment. I wear a Marsupial belt underneath and it doesn’t rub or feel uncomfortable. I have had larger leather belts that created issues under the pack’s belt, but that is a lesson learned.

6c-Z55dwrl2Qh1DujAjTCoV6XlOj8Ppbg9EqPc0YutF_tnEGi4XhBcfKRn25OUq0xxJQESFuY77yrycWQ6QiTMLdokFc0KZXifn3UdHqH8jPZG8IOQjYqpLq65VIXmQhQN3ZauIU
OVdLCr19ow3mvJlVxg29uUgc3bi7IeJZOnjQuCQnx-R4M-0fMrMhWYa57pXphoDP9rEdGykcSU7nI56b84O8yUJerOoaMxOl9rUTpI5rcJRqs1DG25mgqAOS_1xqed84ehfHU917
RiMx90IFcZKwQ2tzXsRSPeQJTZpbZI5Yh797T-4K3xVGNU_RtkPdX2dSUqQP4GhR-7T96HSn3N9-d4ReywDmrbA9O216QaaDSlFYvWvcGwdf1wgdVHvD8D9o5FNNET-syk2WvrM_

Care
Washing the bag is very easy and can be done in your home bathtub. I used warm water and a gentle detergent. I scrubbed the bloody spots with a stiff brush and it came out looking and smelling much better.

6Sw_g3Dnc9Znz8A4VT6NEpyC9UtsIluYNOvNRzjGOzoNdRgbPyLZGozvM7ItMsMu9XQVTgcFOruoyUOgy6NQjcOZVnu3MK-MHuhPs2QZ3fz_xFNt1Hyd0f9-11iRM2ysTZMdqWtQ

What I would change
One thing I don’t like is the 90 degree corner the zipper follows near the top of the main pocket. I frequently have to use two hands to zip it completely shut. I understand this helps maintain the shape of the bag but is something I think could be improved. The lid isn't very functional when the pack is empty. It sags really low if the main compartment isn’t full and can swing quite a bit.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will try to update this again in the future!

Edit 4/7/2022

I’ve got another year of use with the pack and continue to be pleased with how it performs. I was fortunate enough to use it to pack out another elk this past fall where I hauled a hind quarter and the head three miles down hill to my car. It was blistering hot out, but I had decent ventilation between the frame and my pack. My friends that helped pack out had an X-curve frame and a SO Revolution frame that both seemed to perform well.

Recently I took it on a three day shed hunting trip with a big ol’ -30 degree synthetic bag strapped beneath the lid, on top of the bag. This method carried well and kept the load centered. On the way out I secured four similarly-sized elk sheds on the load shelf between the bag and frame. Luckily I had two right sides and two left sides so they stacked nicely. I used a Voile strap to secure the tops of the antlers together and that prevented any wiggling. I think the antlers carried best with tines up in this configuration. I’ve tried tines down and they slip around more. Finally, I attached two more sheds to the outside of the bag with the compression straps for the hike out.

Packout_load.jpg

The hydro lid continues to be one of my favorite accessories for the pack because it makes refilling my hydration reservoir so much easier and keeps the reservoir close enough that my hose reaches my mouth. With a big enough load in between the frame and bag, sometimes my reservoir is too far from my back for the hose to reach.

I also picked up the old style hydro holster recently since I wanted to carry a nalgene with me and I think it works well. It took some adjusting to get it out of my arm’s way, but I appreciated having my electrolytes accessible without removing my pack! I don’t feel the need to upgrade to the new style, but it looks like it fixed many of the issues people had with the old design.

I agree with @wind gypsy below that small side pockets would be super useful for trekking pole tips or stabilizing anything secured to the side of the pack.

Overall I am still very pleased with the pack and would continue to recommend it for anything up to 4, maybe 5 day excursions!

Last edited:
Good review thanks for taking the time. I love my xcurve and 5900 but I think I could get by with the solo bag. Ill know for sure if I want to switch bags after this season.

Great review. The Solo has been a bag that I’ve had my eye on, I’ve had it in my cart a few times but never pulled the trigger, after reading your review that might change 👍🏻

TxLite

WKR
Preferably deep enough (at least on one side) to hold a Nalgene bottle.
This is a miss in my opinion. So far I hate the holster mounted to the belt. Really wishing it had a Nalgene holder on the side of the bag

EmperorMA

WKR
This is a miss in my opinion. So far I hate the holster mounted to the belt. Really wishing it had a Nalgene holder on the side of the bag
I am not a fan of the water bottle holster on the belt, either. I do a ton of hike in fly fishing in Mountain Grizzly Bear country so the bear spray holster goes on the right side for me in order to keep it from tangling in the fly line when stripping (done with my left hand). Having the Nalgene holster on the left side just doesn't work for me. Same goes for hunting in grizz country.

I also know MANY, MANY folks who just prefer to drink from a Nalgene and they like it on the side of the pack, out of the way but easy enough to reach.

I get the whole Stone Glacier being a minimalist pack thing and they want to allow you to customize your own pack, but if you want a Nalgene bottle on the side of this pack, there are no options.

bozeman

WKR
The lack of side pockets has been my main concern as well.....frame and bags are nice, but I do not like a nalgene or water bottle on my belt.....

md126

WKR
A couple more pockets on the outside of the bag for organizing quickly reachable items without digging into the main bag for the clip in organizer pockets would be GREAT

I also agree that they need some side stretchy pockets for Nalgenes, poles, etc.

The pockets like on the 5900 are great for poles/tripod but useless for bigger items like a Nalgene