Stone glacier rifle sling

williaada

WKR
So I have been running the stone glacier rifle sling for a number of years, and it works pretty well. This year I finally encounter my two biggest dislikes:
1. Need to get rifle quickly for snap shot.
2. Helped my brother pack out a deer and carried his rifle out, but had to take my pack off on terrible incline.

Also, my SG pack tips over when the rifle is still in the SG sling. Now looking for possible options or changes.

ljalberta

WKR
I like to run the SG lower and the Kifaru gunbearer upper. You just need to spend some time getting the rifle fit right so it’s not right in front of your eyeball.

If you want to carry your rifle behind you at some point, you just clip it into a side buckle on the pack, or if you still want the rear mount quick release, keep the SG upper attached to your pack as well.

Kotaman

WKR
I tried about everything and the Stone Glacier is as good as it gets. It may not be perfect, but it’s better than everything else IMO.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I was just fiddling around with mine today, deciding whether to take it next week. Decided I'd prefer having the rifle secured with two compression straps so I removed the silver tail up top and just kept the bucket down below to keep the stock secured.

You can experiment with the vertical position of the bucket by changing how much of the strap goes through the tri-slide, not sure if that will fix your tilt issue though.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I use the stone glacier sling when I'm packing in or out and think I might want access to my rifle just in case I bump in to something, but I'm not really expecting it. If I have filled my tag and am hauling a load, I'll sometimes either use a compression strap up on the fore end instead of the quick release, or even put the butt in the side pouch rather than the bucket and strap my rifle to the side of my pack with both compression straps.

However, if I am actively hunting, my go to with my SG pack is to sling my rifle sling over one side of my pack frame (the top of the SG frame is shaped kind of like a Y) and even with a lid on my pack, if I get my rifle sling over one of the posts that my load lifter is attached to, it isn't going anywhere and carries the weight so much better than slinging it over your shoulder, but is just as fast to access.