Stone Glacier Belts

vj88

FNG
Hello,

Been holding out on purchasing my stone glacier bag, actually the sky 7400 for myself and the 5100 for the gf. Just curious who has has recieved and been able to use or compare the 3 piece and 1 piece belt. I was fortunate to get to run the SG bag last year for a hunt and didnt have any issues with the 1 piece belt but want to make sure im getting the right belt.

Thanks everyone

Sorry for the confusion on the 3 piece belt. The belt has been available on the Sky packs, but due to high demand during pre-orders, we did not have enough 3 piece belts to offer as an option for the rest of the packs or as an accessory for those customers looking to upgrade their existing belt. We are anticipating having more 3 piece belts available within the next few weeks. They will be available as an upgrade on all of our pack models and as a separate accessory for existing packs. Feel free to email me if I can help with any questions.
Thanks
Kurt

Nodakhorseman - No problem, you were correct. They are available on the Sky packs that are in Schnee's inventory, just not as a separate accessory yet or for the other packs. However, they will be in a few weeks.
Thanks!
Kurt

Kurt how would describe the fit difference in the one piece belt vs the three piece? I have the one piece on my Terminus that I have no issues with. However I am always interested in possible improvements.

Kurt how would describe the fit difference in the one piece belt vs the three piece? I have the one piece on my Terminus that I have no issues with. However I am always interested in possible improvements.

X2. Please elaborate.

I'm not Kurt, but I used a standard belt with a 1/2 thickness accessory lumbar pad last year, and just received a 7400 with the 3 pc belt last night. I have no significant time under the new belt... so take that into account, and consider these to be initial observations.

Generally, the 3 pc is more of a "shaped" belt. It's fairly aggressively pre-curved and pre-cupped to fit the hips. As such, it seems to be slightly easier to cinch down hard and fits me well. The lumbar pad as it comes in stock form is fairly mild. Nowhere near as aggressive as some of the other packs on the market (notably Kifaru and 2013 Kuiu in hunting packs). It's adjustable for thickness, shape, and location (up/down), so you could make it fit however you want, but as it comes from the factory I would call it fairly tame. I don't care for excessive pressure on my lower back, so suspect this is going to be about perfect for me as is. Will know once I get it under load a few times.

I didn't really have any issues with the old belt, and like most people I think I got the 3 pc, mostly just because it was new and shiny. :) I think it's going to work well for me though.

Yk

Although I haven't used the 1 piece belt on the SG but I have on other packs. I now own a sky 7400 with 3 piece belt. I am 6'0 and 165 lbs with a regular curved back and this pack fits me great with the 3 piece belt. I've had 75lbs on It for a 5ish miles so far and it feels great! the lumbar bad puts enough pressure on the lower back to keep the pack from wanting to slide but not enough to create hotspots. It's nice that the foam is adjustable, I moved the foam around in mine to put more pressure on the lower part of the pad.

SJ-AK ~ The primary fit difference between the 1 piece belt and the 3 piece belt is the lumbar pad. The 1 piece is one uniform thickness throughout, while the 3 piece has a removable lumbar pad that allows the user to customize the thickness as well as the horizontal shape (horizontal roll in the pad.) You can take it from the thickness of the 1 piece with little to no lumbar pressure up to an aggressive lumbar pad with increased pressure by installing additional foam. When asked which hipbelt work best, I believe this is a personal preference largely based off of the customers’ past experience. If you have had good luck with 1 piece belts in the past, that is what I would suggest. And likewise, if you know you prefer added lumbar support and pressure, the 3 piece is your best bet. If a customer does not have a strong preference on either belt or does not know what fits best, I suggest the 3 piece as you can vary the thickness as this gives the most options and flexibility for fitting. As we have seen on other recent threads, for some a 1 piece full wrap belt works the best, for others it is a 3 piece belt with lumbar pad. Functionally they are the same, it is just a matter of personal preference on fit.
SD hunter ~ The belt shape of the 1 piece and 3 piece is virtually identical other than the removable lumbar pad. The 3 piece is not wider or thicker, but it will be offered in two longer sizes to give more coverage toward the front of the hips on larger waist sizes.
Thanks,
Kurt

Thanks Kurt, I really like the lumbar feel of my older 1pc belt with with optional pad. For me, it's enough, but not too much. But what I would like to see for my Krux is a wider hip belt with a "wrap around" the hips feel. Or if I could combine the two, a SG lumbar pad, with a Kifaru Timberline style hip belt. That would be perfect, for me anyway.

After waiting all winter I finally made my order today and went with the 3 piece belt for both the gf's and my pack. Appreciate all the info

Back