Stone Glacier Avail specs - day pack shopping

BBalash3

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have the actual bag dimensions for the SG Avail? I am trying to compare the bag size to the Kifaru 14'r?

I am searching for an internal frame day pack capable of light duty hauling. something in the 2,000 - 2,500 ci range. Primary use will be scouting trips, whitetail hunting, family camping, and airline travel (carry-on).

I would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
I can give you actual measurements tomorrow, but the 14’r has a bit more of a “tubular” shape than the SG. The SG is lower profile, but a bit wider and carries very close to your back. The SG has much better internal organization, but the 14’r will hold more stuff it seems like. If you are going to push the limit on weight for a daypack often, I would go with the 14’r, as those 23” stays will give you some lift that you wont get on the SG. The SG has “lifters”, but they are more for stabilization than anything. The SG is lighter and sleeker, with more comfortable shoulder straps (to me anyways), and the belt is plenty good - although it does not have the power pull system like the 14’r does to help with REALLY cinching it down.
My advice, is 25lbs and under often, get the SG. Over 25lbs often, get the 14’r.
Also worth noting, you can attach the grab-it to the 14’r, which is waaay more versitile that the load panel on the SG, due to the lower straps on the SG’s panel being fixed, thus cant expand out like the grab-it can.

If I could combine the best features of these 2 packs - it might be the “perfect” day pack for non-meat hauling endeavors.