Stockys VG Hunter Tikka… Pretty Disappointed

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I received my Stockys VG Hunter Tikka today and I am pretty disappointed, first off the finish looks awful with extra clear coat built up in two spots and some pretty big scratches on the left side of the stock not to mention the clear coat seems matte in some spots and glossy in others. Second the inletting isn’t very good the action fits pretty loose and the bottom metal is flexing in the middle pretty significantly. Lastly after taking the action out to put it back in the factory stock (for obvious reasons) I noticed that the poor inletting had left two gouges in the back of the action of my (brand new not even fired yet Tikka) deep enough that you can get your finger nail in.

Any thoughts?

IMG_2047.jpeg

IMG_2048.jpeg

IMG_2050.jpeg

IMG_2054.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe pics don’t do justice but I wouldn’t have thought twice about the scratch and clear coat build up.

Not sure what to say on the inlet.

Arithson

FNG
Just had a buddy with the same problem but worse. Clear coat was chipping off in chunks. Stockys is taking it back and sending another no problem

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna send them an email with pics and see what they say… I really kinda can’t believe they even sent something out with cloudy clear coat and that many blemishes on it not to mention the poor inletting. Probably just going to return it and roll with the factory stock for now.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed that the poor inletting had left two gouges in the back of the action of my (brand new not even fired yet Tikka) deep enough that you can get your finger nail in.

View attachment 729038
To be clear, you are saying that when tightening the action into the stock, the stock material cut away the metal of your receiver so much so that you can feel it with your finger nail?? So there were massive metal shavings present?

Last edited:
OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
To be clear, you are saying that when tightening the action into the stock, the stock material cut away the metal of your receiver so much so that you can feel it with your finger nail?? So there were massive metal shavings present?
There was not massive metal shavings and it’s hard to get the camera to focus since it is all the same color but it left a divot on both sides the left side being deeper… apparently whatever the inside of the stock is made of is really hard and clearly something was sharp enough to do that in the inletting. I have owned many chassis and stocks before and not a single one of them has damaged an action like this before.

I received my Stockys VG Hunter Tikka today and I am pretty disappointed, first off the finish looks awful with extra clear coat built up in two spots and some pretty big scratches on the left side of the stock not to mention the clear coat seems matte in some spots and glossy in others. Second the inletting isn’t very good the action fits pretty loose and the bottom metal is flexing in the middle pretty significantly. Lastly after taking the action out to put it back in the factory stock (for obvious reasons) I noticed that the poor inletting had left two gouges in the back of the action of my (brand new not even fired yet Tikka) deep enough that you can get your finger nail in.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 729034

View attachment 729035

View attachment 729036

View attachment 729038

View attachment 729037

You are suggesting that carbon fiber gouged a stainless action, when torqued to 65 inch pounds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
You are suggesting that carbon fiber gouged a stainless action, when torqued to 65 inch pounds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Only tourqued it to 35in lbs since I was using the plastic factory bottom metal… I’m not sure what the inletting is made from but seems to be some sort of solid fill, doesn’t look like carbon fiber. The gun was brand spanking new with not a single imperfection, dropped it into the Stockys tourqued it to 35 in lbs with a Borka tool wrench pulled it back out and now it has gouge marks on the action 🤷‍♂️.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Do blems “shoot” better than properly finished stocks?
How would you know if you don't shoot it?

I haven't looked mine over with a magnifying glass or examined my action to see if the stock damaged my steel action.

But it sure shoots good.

Archer86

WKR
This is why I will never buy a stock from stockys again send it back and either get a refund or try and get another stock in better shape. I had one that had a terrible inlet for the action and the bottom metal for what you pay for there stocks it shouldn't show up that way.

Only tourqued it to 35in lbs since I was using the plastic factory bottom metal… I’m not sure what the inletting is made from but seems to be some sort of solid fill, doesn’t look like carbon fiber. The gun was brand spanking new with not a single imperfection, dropped it into the Stockys tourqued it to 35 in lbs with a Borka tool wrench pulled it back out and now it has gouge marks on the action 🤷‍♂️.

Yeah, those aren't gouges on your action. That is transfer from the stock to your action. Give it a quick once-over with a solvent soaked patch and it will come right off.

OP
Castmaster

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, those aren't gouges on your action. That is transfer from the stock to your action. Give it a quick once-over with a solvent soaked patch and it will come right off.
Trust me I already tried rubbing it out with solvent for about 5 minutes 😂. I’m still baffled that whatever the stock inlet material is made out of was able to gouge it, It almost feels very gritty/sandy and hard as a rock.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
How would you know if you don't shoot it?

I haven't looked mine over with a magnifying glass or examined my action to see if the stock damaged my steel action.

But it sure shoots good.

He would need a non-blem then to compare.

I don’t see that finish and function are mutually exclusive. If this is how all these stocks come, that would be worth flushing out.

I’m good with those who roll with what they get…clean up inletting, nock down resin drips, etc. as much as I am with those who think they shouldn’t get a stock with flaws that aren’t up to a quality standard to what is usually shipped.