Stihl Battery chain saw

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Dewalt 60v saw. It's pretty awesome. I've had a chance to use their 20v saw. The 60v is double the saw of the 20v. But the battery powered saws are awesome to keep in the truck or yard for smaller scale projects. No more gas spills on the carpet

Mosby

WKR
I have several gas chainsaws and my favorite is a Husky 372 XPW. I get attached to my stuff and really enjoy using my old saws with sharp chain that have torque. An electric saw doesn't fill a need for me but it sounds like an electric saw would be a great option to keep in the truck for camp firewood and trails.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
FYI: with the higher torque of electric saws, kevlar chaps and other protective equipment are much less effective. Just something to keep in the back of your mind

My brother in law is a lineman and showed me his Milwaukee and I was more than impressed. I have a gas chainsaw and now want to make the switch so much simpler and clean to haul around in the truck!

My brother in law is a lineman and showed me his Milwaukee and I was more than impressed. I have a gas chainsaw and now want to make the switch so much simpler and clean to haul around in the truck!
Our utility switched to them as well. They are far superior to the Stihl gas powered that we used to use. Weird to say that, But I firmly believe it. No longer do we have to pull a cord 20 times to get it to kick over. No more flooding by an idiot that doesn't know how to start one. As far as power, they cut just as well imo, maybe slightly slower, but the reliability more than makes up for it.

I like the good feedback on the Milwaukee M18 saw. I have about 8 of their cordless tools and batteries that I use daily for my work. I hunt and live out of a full size SUV during the fall so I don't like to have gas and oil sitting inside my vehicle with all my gear and food.

kickemall

WKR
Whats the longest bar you can get on these? I need to clear some decent sized trees from roads fairly regularly and not sure these would work.

ljalberta

WKR
Used gas saws for years with work. Last year gave an electric a try just for fun. Thought it would be an epic fail. I was pleasantly surprised. Great pieces of equipment for anything outside some heavy duty cutting in my personal experience.

FYI: with the higher torque of electric saws, kevlar chaps and other protective equipment are much less effective. Just something to keep in the back of your mind

I would be very interested in verifying this information. I teach saw classes aside from my main job and when these things really became popular, I heard this from people and reps alike. I still hear it often in class as a question. I certainly don't mean to offend, and if you've had an acccident where you cut through your chaps with electric I sincerely apologize, but this idea seems to be heresy and I'm not sure why it started. To date I have yet to find any credible evidence that this is true.... There are however dozens of videos (like this) dispelling what appears to be this wive's tale:

I would not however trust a pair of chaps against a 395xp w/ 36" full skip gasser to stop that chain before it reached my leg. Not all saws are built equally but right now with battery powered saws staying in the small'ish range it appears chaps work just fine.

nrh6.7

WKR
Having used a pro level 261 followed immediately by the Milwaukee I tend to agree with the above statement. In my experience, the gasser is considerably more powerful. Not sure about their smaller units though.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I'm definitively not an expert in this field. My understanding is that because gas saws are low torque, and depend mostly on a high RPM to get their cutting power as soon as the kevlar pieces wrap around the sprocket and slow RPMs down the saw cuts out. Similar to when your saw starts to bog down and you pull it out to get the RPMS back up to continue cutting. Conversely, and ele tric motor has pretty much the same torque across its power band. I.e. a slow moving elecric saw still has the torque or energy to cut while a gas one would cut out. Also, if you look close a lot of the chaps aren't rated for electric saws. This is just my understanding, maybe it's all theoretical.

I’ll give another thumbs up for the Milwaukee. I keep it in my toolbox all the time. Nice to have the big batteries to go with all my other Milwaukee battery tools. We have replace all of our gas drills with Milwaukee and are working on phasing our all gas chain saws for the work crews. So far they have held up great.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve also heard that the chainsaw chaps are not as effective with electric saws. But... the proof is in the video.

Last edited:
Whats the longest bar you can get on these? I need to clear some decent sized trees from roads fairly regularly and not sure these would work.
At work, we get rid of the stock bar and put on a Stihl 18". Works just fine and gives you just that little bit more cutting surface.

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to see how a Stihl battery saw would work. I have a DeWalt 20v and am super impressed. It is in the toolbox of my truck 24/7.

ridgefire

WKR
We used a 20v Dewalt at elk camp for firewood last year and it worked awesome. We were able to cut a surprisingly amount of wood in short time. It was mainly about 6" ponderosa rounds. I also use a battery weed whacker now so my man card is way down right now.

Brendan

WKR
Anyone tried the Harbor Freight Atlas versions? I know most of their stuff is crap, but every once in a while you find a diamond in the rough (Generators get good reviews...) Can probably use a 20% off coupon too.