Stiff or Flexible Boots

I have been invited to a DIY Elk hunt in Pagosa Spring in Late Oct./ Early Nov. I have been researched about several hunting boots. I don't have a place to go try on any unless I drive 60 miles to Bass Pro. I understand the concept of getting what you pay for, but I do have my budget. My main question is should I get a boot with stiff or flexible shank. It is something I never have thought about here in Texas. I generally like a boot that acts more like a hiking shoe. I generally wear my snake boot, but I don't see me hitting the mountains in those

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a fan of stuff boots, they seem to put more stress in ankles and knees in my experience. Late Oct-early Nov shouldn't be too cold. Most important thing is to break them in well before. Definitely bring a second pair of boots though so you can dry one pair out while you wear the other!

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
Stiff vs flexible is relative. I consider tennis shoes flexible, much like the last pair of danner pronghorns I had and sold at a garage sale, hope they liked them 😬.

A boot that is more like a hiking shoe I would consider one step up from tennis shoe. A solid work boot I would consider one step up or comparable to that. A good medium flex sole provides good support, contours the arch, and provides less foot fatigue at the end of the day. I’ve found a medium stiff boot to be a great all around flex.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Boot stiffness is a personal preference thing. However, you will probably appreciate a stiffer boot if you’re carrying a heavier pack and covering a lot of ground in steeper country. I’ve hunted that area and would definitely pick a stiffer boot if I went back.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
If there were theoretically 5 levels of stiffness, with 1 being the softest and 5 being the stiffest, I would recommend a 3 or a 4 for anywhere in those 70's units around Pagosa. You do not need a full shank/crampon compatible boot. That's a 5. You do not want a single density EVA midsole wannabe boot (like a cross-trainer or trail-runner) either, that's a 2.

For the states and terrain I hunt, for high-country mule deer and elk, I will run a 4-stiffness boot about 90% of the time.

Some boots for the terrain you will be in that I have tried and would consider:
Lowa Baffin Pro - 3/4
Crispi Colorado (my personal favorite) - 4
Asolo Drifter Evo - 3
Scarpa Ribelle HD - 4
Crispi Wyoming - 3

The steeper and rockier the terrain, the stiffer your boots should be. In steep country, you want to be able to climb and sidehill without your boots "taco-ing."

If you are going to be walking mostly on buffed out trails in moderate terrain, a softer boot will be more comfortable than a stiffer one.

Get some quality, high-cushion hiking/mountaineering specific socks. Wear your boots as much as you can before your hunt.

Poser

WKR
I personally don’t like stiff boots, say more than 3 on the 1-5 scale. Even in very steep and difficult terrain off trail, I don’t prefer a very stiff boot, I just tighten up my mid flex boots a bit more. A really stiff boot will be clunky on more casual trails, though some people prefer that tradeoff.

Poser

WKR
I personally don’t like stiff boots, say more than 3 on the 1-5 scale. Even in very steep and difficult terrain off trail, I don’t prefer a very stiff boot, I just tighten up my mid flex boots a bit more. A really stiff boot will be clunky on more casual trails, though some people prefer that tradeoff.

yfarm

WKR
If snow isnt a possibility Salomon 4D GTx is a lightweight boot that offers excellent support and can sidehill. Next up is Schnees Beartooth either insulated or not. Both can be purchased online with easy returns if not sized correctly. I hunt SE of there at 10k+ elevation in early October and use an insulated boot but the hunting is relatively sedentary. Would not use the Salomon as I would be guaranteed frozen feet where I hunt, but if I was walking 6-10 miles a day in mountainous terrain would be fine.
Another issue is the width of the toe box, I wear a D width in a Russell, have to go up to a wide in a Chip snake boot. Tried Lowas Tibet, even the wide cramped my foot. Went to the Lathrop in a wide and its very roomy. Got to try them on and return if they are not right.
My first NM elk hunt was wearing Russell birdshooters which are a moccasin type boot sidehilling up an down steep slopes and the energy expended compared to the following year hunting similar terrain in Lathrops was remarkable. The stiff boots really help you climb and descend.

Last edited:

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Our Hoffman Explorer boots have a tapered mid-sole. A heavier 7mm nylon midsole in the heel area for stability then tapering down to a 5 1 /2 mm towards the ball of the foot forward. This gives a person a firm boot but still some flex in the fore part of the boot. A great combination.

Attachments

• 2 pair.jpg
    2 pair.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 12

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been invited to a DIY Elk hunt in Pagosa Spring in Late Oct./ Early Nov. I have been researched about several hunting boots. I don't have a place to go try on any unless I drive 60 miles to Bass Pro. I understand the concept of getting what you pay for, but I do have my budget. My main question is should I get a boot with stiff or flexible shank. It is something I never have thought about here in Texas. I generally like a boot that acts more like a hiking shoe. I generally wear my snake boot, but I don't see me hitting the mountains in those

That time of year, in that county, I'd check out our Beartooth 200g. Its right in the middle of our stiffness scale. Not too stiff, not too flexible. Just right. The 200g of insulation is light enough so you don't overheat when doing some serious hiking, but warm enough to fight the chill off on colder days or when glassing. Oh.... they're also on sale 30% off currently during our Summer Kickoff Sale! PM if you have any specific questions.

dtrkyman

WKR
I was wearing some light hikers one year as I usually do, but I was hiking into a hidden drainage and had some steep rocky stuff to climb, couple days of that and my knees and ankles were a bit sore, I generally do not have any issues with any joints!

Switched to my heavier boot, Asolo 520s and wouldn't you know, zero pain after the switch!