stiff hunting boots/injury

**Long Post Warning**​

I have screwed up feet. I had a subtalar fusion on my left foot and a screwed-up big toe on my right foot.

I bought a pair of Kenetrek everstep boots. I have slowly started to break them in over flat surfaces for many months and I have small hills in my backyard as well. When I thought they were ready I decided to do some mild elevation gains on a 6-mile hike. I have heard the reputation of these boots, and I am not here to say anything bad about them. I have taken my time, and have slowly, and cautiously taken the time to break these in.

Since I have been doing some elevation gains with these boots my Achilles tendon on the left foot has been bothering me quite a bit.

I have a pair of Lowa Rangers and never had this problem. I realize these two boots are very different from each other. one has a toe flex the other none. Different boots for different jobs. I also realize that going from my work shoes to these boots they have a different heel-to-toe drop which could put a strain on a foot. I would go to a podiatrist but although there may be many, there are not any good ones in my area.

My question is has any of you experienced this problem going from a more flexible boot to a much stiffer one?

Any help or comments would be very welcome and gratefully accepted.

Thank you

I tried Kennetrek and they killed my feet. My buddy wouldn't wear anything other than. I went to Lowa hunters and I would say they are similarly stiff and my feet were super happy. I think some boots work and others don't for us. It's a bummer because they are so costly and yiu need to break em before you know but it is what it is.

pirogue

WKR
Yes on problems with stiffer boots, but it was plantar fasciitis. I make sure I stretch more now, before I even walk the dog. And before hunting season, do some exercises that help prevent plantar fasciitis.

OP
O
I can understand blisters and hot spots, but what is it about a stiffer boot that would cause Planter fasciitis or Achilles tendonitis?

OP
O
So what is the difference between the Lowa hunter and the Kenetrek?

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by killing your feet?

sako75

FNG
I like stiffer boots as a rule but I bought some scarpa grand dru and started braking them in but they broke me. I ended up with torn tendon two years later and just getting better. I’m scared to even put the boots on.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I can understand blisters and hot spots, but what is it about a stiffer boot that would cause Planter fasciitis or Achilles tendonitis?
It should actually help plantar fasciitis. The Achilles problem is due to the height and restriction of the boot cuff. I cannot wear a higher cut boot.

So what is the difference between the Lowa hunter and the Kenetrek?

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by killing your feet?
Even after six months of break in and using custom inserts after a few miles it felt like I was just stomping on concrete. It felt like my heels and the ball of my foot were bruised. The Lowas just fit me better I guess? After a break in my feet always felt great. I think good boots takes a bit of trial and error. Not easy when you are dropping $500 on em.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Lowa'a work for me, as do Asolo's. I bought 2 pairs of Crispis. Nope. I just put on a new pair of Lowa Camino LL today. I did 7 miles in them. Felt great.

I may be through trying other brands .

OP
O
I have had these since June, and have had no problems with them.

I have used these for moderate elevation gains and still no problem.

The last few weeks however they have been bothering me and I was on flat terrain.

I understand the higher shaft height, but could it be that paired with the stiff midsole?

Could I have been lacing these too tight?

I will experiment with this.

I bought these because of my roached feet and ankles and wanted something stiff, but was not anticipating solving a couple of problems and creating others.

I appreciate your input and time.

This is a headscratcher for me.

yfarm

WKR
With a solid subtalar fusion and a stiff sole the only flexion in your foot is thru your ankle which is working your achilles overtime. The symptom is a reflection of your altered biomechanics. The work boot I assume has more midfoot flex?
More heel to toe drop loosens the achilles, less tightens it, how do the work amd hunting boots compare?

OP
O
With a solid subtalar fusion and a stiff sole the only flexion in your foot is thru your ankle which is working your achilles overtime. The symptom is a reflection of your altered biomechanics. The work boot I assume has more midfoot flex?
More heel to toe drop loosens the achilles, less tightens it, how do the work amd hunting boots compare?
Thank you for your reply.

These are the things that I have been thinking about the most.
Everything else has a mid foot flex. These do not. However These have a rocker sole which I thought would mitigate the loss of flex and make it easier on the feet. On level ground they are almost self propelled (lol) but on inclines not so much. I guess these will never develop a flex to any extant. Not certain These are the stiffest boots I have purchased and tried to work in. I need it for the ankle stability.

GotDraw?

WKR
Here's your problem-

The longer the apparent overall length of your "foot", the more leverage/strain you put on your Achilles as you walk.

With a softer soled boot that flexes (even a little) in the forefoot, this allows your big toe to flex/articulate as you walk and this effectively reduces the overall effective length of your foot (vs stiff soled boot acting as a solid overall length). Flexible soles mean that your Achilles tendon has less leverage working against it.

Stiff soles are even more exacerbated if they have square sole edge at the front.

Get a boot that allows more fore-foot articulation and has a slightly rounded toe, yet offers a supportive ankle lacing system. Take a look at Lowa Camino.

I got tendonitis from stiff boots on packed trails. They were great off trail, but long and hard packed trails killed me.

Best,

JL

OP
O
Hello Folks,

Sorry for the late reply.

I wanted to thank all of you who contributed to this thread.

It confirmed many things that I was aware of and I needed more opinions to confirm.

I will give it more time, try some new things, and at that point fish, or cut bait.

Bought them to solve, not create new problems. I know many of you have been there before.

Thank you!

pcros27

FNG
I have had these since June, and have had no problems with them.

I have used these for moderate elevation gains and still no problem.

The last few weeks however they have been bothering me and I was on flat terrain.

I understand the higher shaft height, but could it be that paired with the stiff midsole?

Could I have been lacing these too tight?

I will experiment with this.

I bought these because of my roached feet and ankles and wanted something stiff, but was not anticipating solving a couple of problems and creating others.

I appreciate your input and time.

This is a headscratcher for me.
What have your lower body workouts looked like? Anything else tight leg-wise that you're compensating for in your walk?

OP
O
Well my gait has been off probably since my left ankle was fused in 2016.
Lower body work out is squats, deadlifts, step ups, and variations of the above.
Stretch everyday.
Foam roll when needed.
I appreciate your reply and help.

GotDraw?

WKR
@one good leg

Also-- Check into Dry-Needling (v similar to acupuncture). Physical Therapists can do this for your tendonitis. It worked extremely well for me.

Also try taking Magnesium/Calcium supplements in case your lower gastrocnemius is pissed off. This also helped me.

These may help, but the question really is what is the root problem causing this?

JL

Just a reference point. When I was young (ages ago), many would soak their feet in their boots and then wear them until they dried- molded to your feet.

I bought a pair of climbing boots that had a laceable liner. I covered a lot of nasty country in them and they just never felt great. In fact they often left me with a few sore spots. This last year I finally threw them out. I don't think they were broke in after 40 years.

In 1981 while I was working in Spokane, I went down to White's Boots and had a pair of loggers custom built for my feet. They felt wonderful from day one. Fifteen years ago I bought another pair so I could alternate them and let them dry out. They feel better than even tennis shoes. Periodically I have new soles put on them as wear demands.

I don't know if this is even an option but if you spend a lot of time in them you might consider having a pair of boots built for you.