Staying warm when not moving?

Elc1973

FNG
Ok guys here's the problem, I hike in with just my base layers and a mid layer and vest and am fine. Once I get to my spot I'm good for about 2 hours and then have to move around to stay warm. Once I get chilled I put my puffy on but still only get a couple hours and I have to start hiking to stay warm. Do I need more layers or what? the temps are in the 20's in the mornings and 40's to 30's in the evenings. I need to be able to stay still till last light since that is the best time. What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Short answer would be more layers/insulation. Make sure hands, head, legs etc are warm too. Wind also makes a big difference so keep that in mind. I bring a thermos sometime, helps w a warm drink when sitting still. And might be a given but layer before you get chilly, not when you are.

Hawkeye

FNG
Ok guys here's the problem, I hike in with just my base layers and a mid layer and vest and am fine. Once I get to my spot I'm good for about 2 hours and then have to move around to stay warm. Once I get chilled I put my puffy on but still only get a couple hours and I have to start hiking to stay warm. Do I need more layers or what? the temps are in the 20's in the mornings and 40's to 30's in the evenings. I need to be able to stay still till last light since that is the best time. What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest using just minimal layers getting in. The most important thing is to change out of the layer you hike in with and get into a clean dry top. Then stack on the layers of insulation. I use two layers of wool, a layer of down, then a layer of rain gear to break the wind and keep the heat in. I also put on a knit cap, neck gaitor, gloves with a couple hand warmers, and hunker down and try to avoid the wind. That should keep you warm all day.

Last edited:

jljmonky

FNG
I would suggest using just minimal layers getting in. The most important thing is to change out of the layer you hike in with and get into a clean dry top. Then stack on the layers of insulation. I use two layers of wool, a layer of down, then a layer of rain gear to break the wind and keep the heat in. I also put on a knit cap, neck gaitor, gloves with a couple hand warmers, and hunker down and try to avoid the wind. That should keep you warm all day.
I second the rain gear... It's an underused tool. I hike in minimally an only hunt and then allow myself to dry some and cool down then add a fleece or wool then cool down a bit more and then add a puffy jacket (this year I am going to rock a Patagonia Nano Puff and Arc Teryx vest). As time wears on I add my rain gear. If I continue to get cold I pull out a stove and go for tea or bullion. If it gets works I stare at my Latin "too stupid to quit" tattoo and make myself sit there and suffer.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
As others have said, additional layers and hot drinks make a world of difference. We try to carry enough gear during the day to make it through an unexpected night if one arises. I figure if I am hauling that stuff anyway, I may as well utilize it since If I am cold and miserable, I will want to quit early. On our last hunt it was sub 30 degrees with the windchill, and I wore my insulated primaloft vest, primaloft jacket, and primaloft pants underneath my raingear even though it wasn't raining. I looked like a marshmallow, but at least I didn't freeze.

Something no one has mentioned is something to sit on. It's amazing how fast the cold ground will get you chilled, and having a small piece of something insulated works wonders at keeping that cold out. We typically carry short thermarest pads in the trekker chair sleeve, but lots of folks utilize a small piece of closed cell foam pad as a chair. On packraft or coastal hunts a life vest works great too. Anything to keep you off the cold ground.

To recap what I was going to say but has already been said:
~ Walk in cool, you dont' need to be warm since you are moving.
~ Dry off when you get there and put on dry base layer.
~ Put extra layers on BEFORE you get cold, it takes more heat to warm you back up than it does to keep you warm.
~ Keep your head and hands warm to avoid excessive heat loss.
~ Those thermal pads are a great way to add warmth to your system.
~ Put something under your butt AND under your feet to prevent heat loss, like Becca said an insulated pad is a great idea or one of those stadium cushions.

The things that I would add to the list are:

1) do to not overlook keeping your neck wrapped up and warm, especially if it is windy. I am always amazed at how much better I feel when I shield my neck from the cold, either with a scarf or the hood of my jacket....which is why all of my outer layers have hoods., and
2) if you don't want to mess with a warm drink then at least eat high calorie foods every hour or so during the day to keep the furnace burning. Things like a Payday bar, anything with chocolate and nuts, some super duper granola bar, anything that is a mix of fast burning calories and slower burning calories. Anythign with honey, like honey stinger bars or waffles are a good one for quick energy which will translate into quick heat.

Larry

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Every person is different, but I find that merino wool base layers, a merino wool neck gaiter, wool pants and a wool sweater as an upper body second layer, allows me to regulate my temperature better than anything I've found. My jackets are either puffy down jacket, a Gore-Tex pro shell or both (if it is REALLY cold and/or wet). When I get warm, I'm down to my sweater or sweater and Gore-Tex shell. For me, this combination works better than my lighter-weight layers of soft-shell synthetics and fleece. Wool clothing is heavier and a bit bulkier, but IMO the performance is worth the additional weight.