Staying focused on elk while missing your family

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a very timely thread for me. I am on my way back from my first elk hunt and my first time ever being away from my 18 month old son and only my second time being away from my wife since we've been together and she is 27 weeks pregnant. The hunt was physically hard and mentally taxing but missing my family was by far the most grueling part of the hunt that I had to grapple with. I don't have any good advice as I did not find a good coping mechanism, I just endured and at times not so well. My wife and I were able to talk or text when I got up high, which helped some but it also at times made it more difficult, like when my wife started having braxton-hixx contractions or when she told me my son was running through the house yelling "daddy daddy" looking for me (which I know was just a jab to get to me). I have no solution for you just know you are not alone.

Last edited:
I think it's something you'll learn to deal with. I've got multiple deployments that my wife and I have gone through so a week away hunting is a piece of cake. My kids enjoy the time they get with mom and the fact they get to relax because I am not always hounding them to do chores, homework or shoot.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
you probably just need some dirtbag friends (like me) who dont have any kids and do awesome stuff all the time to get you primed for some time away!

Scott,

Good one.
Since my wife understands my desire to hunt and the fact that my 2 daughters are both in college, when we going huntin???;)