Status of Unit 18 CO

Hunted this unit pre-burn successfully. Can’t go this year due to it being my 10th Anniversary. My hunting buddy and his friend are going back this year.

Road closures are something I’m concerned about for them. Know there have been closures in the past.

Trying to help them out where I can and live vicariously.

Any insight from those local or that drive through would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yooper

WKR
I was there last year as I too had hunted it prior to the fires. Think miles and miles of bare, scorched earth with all the hunters that used to hunt there consolidated into the edges of the burn where there's some regrowth. You couldn't pay me to go back to that area but YMMV.

Loo.wii

WKR
There are some amazing bulls in that unit. I won’t tell you where but there are.
Stay away from the west side of the unit pair though. The blow down is absolutely terrible on that side. My key to that unit is finding the most unattractive point A to B trail and walk it. Around mile 5 you’ll find elk.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Hunted this unit pre-burn successfully. Can’t go this year due to it being my 10th Anniversary. My hunting buddy and his friend are going back this year.

Road closures are something I’m concerned about for them. Know there have been closures in the past.

Trying to help them out where I can and live vicariously.

Any insight from those local or that drive through would be appreciated.

What season?

cnelk

WKR
Download the COTREX app. It will show you what roads are closed and who to contact

Here is an example of the area

You could also go to GE, find Hwy 125 out of Granby, find a spot and select Street View.
Pan around and you’ll see what the mtns look like from the Hwy.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
I was there last year as I too had hunted it prior to the fires. Think miles and miles of bare, scorched earth with all the hunters that used to hunt there consolidated into the edges of the burn where there's some regrowth. You couldn't pay me to go back to that area but YMMV.
Sorry but this.

It's moonscape and heartbreaking to see. Went to my old trail head last year and felt as if I wanted to cry. Lots of great memories there.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Maybe take the discussion to a more private forum… but honestly ** is probably top 4 most over hunted units in the state. At least they are going in a draw season…

Last edited by a moderator:

Loo.wii

WKR
Maybe take the discussion to a more private forum… but honestly ** is probably top 4 most over hunted units in the state. At least they are going in a draw season…
The funny thing about ** The people who put in the foot work usually get into elk. Even though it’s “over hunted”. IMG_5079.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Remember the rule for the FNGs not being allowed unit posts is figuring long term users take stuff to PMs. Please make sure anything specific is going to PM.

Point of clarification, it’s also to stop the first post, “I drew xyz and can’t scout because I’m 4 hours away. Don’t worry I don’t want your honey hole…” posts

Edit: I ended up putting the unit number back in the titles but I’m to lazy to go back and add it to posts.

OP
D
Remember the rule for the FNGs not being allowed unit posts is figuring long term users take stuff to PMs. Please make sure anything specific is going to PM.

Point of clarification, it’s also to stop the first post, “I drew xyz and can’t scout because I’m 4 hours away. Don’t worry I don’t want your honey hole…” posts

Edit: I ended up putting the unit number back in the titles but I’m to lazy to go back and add it to posts.

Sorry, I wasn’t intending this to be a spot reveal! Have already received PMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk