Starter optic for up to 400 yards and sub$500

dneaster3

FNG
I have Leupolds that range from 1970's vintage up through the current HD models. Judging each by their own era, they are all great glass.

I have a VX-Freedom and a VX-5HD that I can put side by side. The 5HD is better, of course, but not in a way that would affect any hunting scenario. And, more important, the VX-Freedom is much better than the previous generation of VX3's. Coatings and glass have come a long way in the last decade. Buying new gets you a lot. For your described application, the VX-3HD will be great.

The CDS turret system works well. Is it a NightForce? Well, no. But for your described application it will work beautifully. You will be able to consistently dial up or down for elevation and windage, and you can repeatably do the box drill (up 10, left 10, down 10, right 10... 4 holes, perfect square) or anything else you need out to 400 or beyond. And if for some reason it doesn't, Leupold has a great warranty.

You asked for 16x magnification, so the 4.5x to 14x ought to be pretty close to what you want. That said, what @f16jack, @BjornF16, and others have said is correct.... you don't need more than 8x or 9x or 10x to shoot out to 400+, especially on a hunting rifle setup. There is still a lot to be said for a 3-9x40 mounted low and with money in the wallet left over for ammo

f16jack

WKR
I concur that the 4.5x14 would be a great scope also. Model #180619. it is here:

It's $100 more, but I find that the higher magnification helps when shooting at the range when tuning in your rifle and handloads.

When hunting if you make the mistake of shooting with 14x selected the first shot works great, but it is almost impossible to reacquire the target for follow-up shots or tracking.

I've never used the side windage adjustments on any hunts. I have a correction table posted in my scope cap, and the side adjustments for me are in inches. A 10 knot crosswind at 400 yards is a 7" of correction. I can correct this without dialing.

I cannot correct 140" of elevation for a 800 yard shot. No idea how high to hold the crosshairs. I can dial 16.25 MOA, though, and put the crosshairs on the target. Very useful.

OP
LonghairDontcare
I concur that the 4.5x14 would be a great scope also. Model #180619. it is here:

It's $100 more, but I find that the higher magnification helps when shooting at the range when tuning in your rifle and handloads.

When hunting if you make the mistake of shooting with 14x selected the first shot works great, but it is almost impossible to reacquire the target for follow-up shots or tracking.

I've never used the side windage adjustments on any hunts. I have a correction table posted in my scope cap, and the side adjustments for me are in inches. A 10 knot crosswind at 400 yards is a 7" of correction. I can correct this without dialing.

I cannot correct 140" of elevation for a 800 yard shot. No idea how high to hold the crosshairs. I can dial 16.25 MOA, though, and put the crosshairs on the target. Very useful.
This is so helpful. Thank you.

eric1115

WKR
I'd add another vote for a 6x SWFA. Just got my first one for a practice/backup .308, and it's everything I need for anything 600 and in. Probably further. I've been gradually replacing all my unreliable scopes with reliable ones over the past several years.

All the $500 Leupold/Vortex/Athlon/etc scopes seem to be very susceptible to zero shifts, unreliable dialing, etc. The Arken that Form just tested fared surprisingly well, and the Trijicon Credo 3-9 seems like it may be a good option as well from a reliability standpoint, and while not really ideal for dialing, is available with MOA reticle for holding elevation. On sale for $600 at Euro optic.

The reason you're getting a lot of recommendations for scopes pretty different from what you want is that a lot of us thought we wanted the same thing when we were where you are now, and 2 or 3 (or more) scopes later this is where we've landed after spending hundreds of dollars on ammo chasing scope issues and on buying/selling scopes that didn't work well for what you are describing wanting to do. Trying to save you the time and expense that we spent going down dead end roads while figuring out the path.

TN2shot07

WKR
For that price range I’d also vote for the Leupold, never used a 4.5-14 but have several in the 2.5-8 and 3.5-10 with no issues. Like others said above 400 isn’t going to require much turning on turrets anyway.

Also, the maven crs scopes are right at that price point. Very similar glass to the vx3 and have a basic bdc reticle. I used one this past season and didn’t have any complaints.

OP
LonghairDontcare

This is pretty close to what you recommended. Thoughts? https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...s-zl-35-10x-40mm-rifle-scope-duplex/p/1692379