Start of a pissing match....

I thought the fit was perfect though the hood is pretty freakin big! I will say that i havent took it through really thick stuff to test it but i dont think it would hold up quiet as well in really thick areas without layering over it....

Maybe he has tried it that way though!

I'm gonna be using it for glassing mostly, if I do have to get into some thick stuff though I guess I can throw my rain coat on.

I threw my sitka mid layer over it at one point just to see. I dont think layering would be a problem every. Just dont buy it a size big to fit over stuff.... Buy it your regular size

Glad guys are liking the backcountry jacket. Ordered one this past week for $85. Specs were matched almost identically to Kuiu super down hooded jacket. Doesn't have the DWR treated down, but came in at 1.2 ounces lighter.

Glad guys are liking the backcountry jacket. Ordered one this past week for $85.
HH, I see them online at Backcountry.com for $116. Do you mind sharing where they can be snagged for $85? At that price it would be a no brainer for me! Thanks

It was a deal on Steep and Cheap earlier this week. Just happened to stumble upon it. It's still on sale on their website, but not at that price.

Thanks for the heads up! Great thread guys. I usually keep an eye on mountaingear for deals but will add a few more to stay up on! Thanks.

KMD, how durable is that outer shell, and what's the fit like? I'm about to pull the the trigger.
I'm 6'1" 210, 36" waist and got an XL, same as my t-shirt size. The fit is athletic and tapered nicely around the torso, IMHO perfect for a mid-layer!
The outer shell is somewhat supple, I'd not want to bust the brush with it. The top is amazingly lightweight, and light moisture beads right off. Haven't shower tested it with a good soaking yet, though.

The collar buttons snug the hood up just enough around your head, but not too tight. You'll need to cinch down your shell's hood drawstrings to get a windproof fit around your head. Preliminary report is that I dig it...

Finally got mine in today. This jacket is sexy in a gear kinda way. Athletic fit but roomy at the same time, extremely light, can fit well over a bunch of layers or over just a t-shirt, long shirt tail that doesn't appear to ride up so no need to worry about an exposed back. I'm 6'1", currently 240 size 36 waist, and an XL fits like a dream. Not much of winter left but am excited for having this in my kit.

Ordered one for my wife and I and they came in yesterday. Very pleased so far. Very lightweight and warm. I grabbed a L and I'm 5'7", 175 and it's snug which is perfect for what it's designed for. Not sure I'm crazy about the button up front but time will tell.

ya the buttons bugged me at first but they also keep the weight down and i forgot about them pretty quick!

Back