Staking Down A Floorless Tent

Rucker61

WKR
I've been hunting for just a few years now with a few different tents - BWD Luna 5(6), MS Mountainlight and a GoLite SL-5, and I just picked up a BWD tarp for emergencies. However, I've never learned exactly which stakes to use where when pitching the tent.

Where should the primary stakes go, like MSR Groundhogs/8" Eastons, and where can you get away with small stakes like the Mini-Groundhogs?

colonel00

WKR
I typically use groundhogs for all of the main stake locations and minis for the guyout points. This is on the Cimarron currently and a lot depends on the surface you are pitching on too. After the last packraft rondy, I learned a lesson and will have some of the MSR Cyclone (I think that's what they're called) on hand for loose soil situations. Even groundhogs weren't holding in the looses glacial silt/sand.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I typically use groundhogs for all of the main stake locations and minis for the guyout points. This is on the Cimarron currently and a lot depends on the surface you are pitching on too. After the last packraft rondy, I learned a lesson and will have some of the MSR Cyclone (I think that's what they're called) on hand for loose soil situations. Even groundhogs weren't holding in the looses glacial silt/sand.

I hear ya there. The 4 main for the Cimarron or 5 main for the Sawtooth when planning to camp on river bars at a minimum. I don't bother with mini groundhogs anywhere on my Cimarrons or Sawtooth. Only the shorter Cuben shelter do I use minis on for everything but the 4 main corners of my cuben shelter as those get standard ground hogs.

kodiakfly

WKR
I picked up some Cyclones this year and holy crap...they hold. Bigger and thus heavier, but they really lock it down. I just ordered some more of them.

Mv48

FNG
Needle stakes work awesome for me with a couple groundhogs if the ground is softer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk