Stainless Or Cerekote and why?

rmarshall

WKR
I’m looking at future firearms purchase or build, which finish is the best in your options and why? I know this is a personal preference but I’d like to hear your thoughts.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I always go for stainless. I do prefer the looks of cerakote but I think it typically doesn’t cover the inside of the barrel so you’d still get rust in there.

packer58

WKR
For me, iv'e built a couple semi customs using a donor action that was not SS with a Bartlien SS barrel. It was a no brainer in my situation. Also you have a multitude of color choices to really personalize your firearm.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
my own -opinion- is that it doesn't really matter. if it's raining out i prefer to hunt with my stainless and plastic tikka. but that doesn't mean i'm not out in crappy weather with my blued and wood rifles. regardless, i get home, i wipe it down, stick it somewhere where it's going to dry quicker vs leave it in a soggy case. cerakote would be a nice touch, but i'm cheap and not going to pay more just for that feature. i'm also left handed so i'm limited in what i can get so finish isn't high on the list, it's all about LH and caliber for me.

i like synthetic stock and blued metal...so i can spray paint it if i get the hankerin and not feel bad about ruining a nice rifle ha

Stainless. Cerekote doesn’t go in the bore, inside the bolt, etc. if one must have a certain color they can Cerekote their stainless.

Cerakoted stainless and titanium for most of my builds. Honestly, (other than cool factor) I continue to ask myself why I spend that money as cerakote is not tough enough for me! BSN treated stainless has been a better option for my personal use in retaining a colored exterior but, it has its limitations too. Of course, you only get one color with BSN and that is BLACK!
Under hard use, you will likely need to redo Cerakote every couple years or at least have wear areas and dings touched up.

Last edited:

jhm2023

WKR
Stainless barrel and action for me since cerakote doesn't go inside the bore. If I'm going for a particular color scheme, then I'll have stuff cerakoted and possibly DLC the bolt body.

I cerakote my (stainless) barrels and either nitride or DLC my actions.

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
Stainless steel barrel with cerakote and a Nitride or DLC action is the ideal case.
This^^^^
Or bare stainless barrel w/ Nitride action. Cerakote is just expensive spray paint! 😂 And I have some of them, but it is way below Nitride.