Squeaky pack

Rbyrd

FNG
I drew an elk tag it will be my first elk hunt. I have bought a mystery ranch Metcalf and have been hiking with about 40lbs in it. The right side of the frame squeaks with every step. Is this typical, is there something that can be done to quiet it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

vladkgb

FNG
I ran a mystery ranch Beartooth 80, and that thing was loud! I tried an exo k4, it's night and day difference. It seems typical for mystery ranch.

It’s probably not the frame, it’s more likely a strap or actual fabric of the pack creating friction with your movement. Electrician’s tape or silicone spray work like a champ.

My original kuiu pack used to do the same thing and it drove me nuts. Eventually sold it and got a kifaru which was pretty dang quiet

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve heard roughing up the carbon stays in the frame pockets helps. If it continues you can call MR and have them do a fix, but I’d try the suggestions above before going through that trouble.

jek5224

FNG
See if you can pinpoint the location. It seems to be a known MR problem. My frame developed a bad squeak. I sent it back to MR and they "fixed" it even though it was out of warranty (circa 2019 pack). What they told me was that they would inspect and address the problem sections of the frame. I sent the frame in this past January and got it back around March or April, and you could tell they did some surgery on it. It was quiet for a few hikes, but shortly after the squeaking started again. Not as bad as last time, but not ideal. Really cinching down the load lifters seems to help, but I think it is only a matter of time before it gets worse.

Sled

WKR
I used cloth athletic tape on my kuiu frame that drove me nuts from squeaking. Originally tried graphite dry lube but that was a mess and rather short lived fix.

Ron.C

WKR
OP, unfortunately I think this is pretty much an inherent flaw with many MR frames.

I've dealt with this issue with my MR frame for a number of years now. Really too bad because I love the fit/funcrionality of my pack. (use MR GLMT frame with mule bag for day hunts, selway bag for longer trips). I know a guy with a pintler, same thing.

Makes no difference to the squeak which bag is on the frame. Like someone said above, really cinching down the load lifters helps but then you are sacrificing your preferred comfort/fit to stop an annoying squeak.

When I'm looking to replace my pack, the squeak will be the reason I will try another manufacturer.

I want to say the MR guys addressed this on Newberg's podcast and it's a break in thing. I'd do a few rucks under heavy load (80+ lbs). My SG squeaked for a bit, went away after a couple heavy packouts.

AK4570

FNG
This response may not get a lot of "thumbs up," ... But ignore the squeaking and keep hunting.

Every pack is going to squeak at some point due to differing loads, how wet or dry it is, and differences in adjustment (especially load lifters). I've got a Barney's that sounds like it's trying to carry on a conversation but it always carries whatever I ask it too. I'm reluctant to say that a squeaking pack would lessen your chances at game as well... Ever hear a stand of quakies rubbing against each other in a breeze? Talk about squeakers!

At any rate, best of luck.
John

strongarm

FNG
See if you can get a buddy to walk along with you to try to isolate the source of the squeak. Could be something as simple as a buckle where a thin pass of lubricant might solve it. While in the field I've gotten rid of annoying squeaks with a one-pass of chapstick as a temporary fix. If its in your framestays/pockets/guideways, remedy would be different. Not all materials like to play together. Isolating would help to suggest possible solution(s).

OP
R

Rbyrd

FNG
Thanks for all the advice. I can grab the bottom right side of the frame and get it to quit.

11boo

WKR
Every pack I've ever owned squeaked when it was dirty and quit when it was clean. KUIU, Kifaru, EXO, SG all of them.
This. My EXO seemed noisy. I bought it used and needed to know it better anyway.
Complete tear down and waxed the frame tubes. It was quiet after that, but I really wonder how loud it really was. Probably nothing to worry about, but fixing it was one thing less.