Squatter Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnelk

WKR
Plenty of stuff on the news about the 'Squatter Scam' - where people take over a house.
Florida just signed legislation to make it easier to remove squatters.

Has anyone had this issue?

What would you do if someone squatted/took over your property?

Happen to me. Wife and I were in separation, I was staying elsewhere, she had the house. She started shacking up with her boy toy and left the house without me knowing it. Her grown kids moved in the house. It was a nightmare. I had to file trespassing charges and wound up selling it to them , for next to nothing, after they destroyed it. A 3 year ordeal. Judge told me he could have me arrested for trespassing on my own property and would charge me if I turned the power off. You had to be involved to believe it.

Last edited:
Come to Missoula. They just set up a camp of a half dozen tents on your property. City police can shew them off, but can’t arrest them because there is no room in Detention for them.

Commissioners are normalizing and mandating the term “temporarily displaced”. I call them “voters”.
Get the commissioners addresses and tell them to go there to squat

Supposedly this happens in CA bunch, there is some guy who will go out squat the squatters to get your property back haha sounded like quite the business model.

Come to Missoula. They just set up a camp of a half dozen tents on your property. City police can shew them off, but can’t arrest them because there is no room in Detention for them.

Commissioners are normalizing and mandating the term “temporarily displaced”. I call them “voters”.
Squirt yellow jacket attractant around and if possible into those tents.

Supposedly this happens in CA bunch, there is some guy who will go out squat the squatters to get your property back haha sounded like quite the business model.
Not saying it doesn’t happen but it’d only be due to the property owners not knowing their rights. CA allows owners to submit a no trespass letter to law enforcement (SB 602 letter) which gives them the right to boot the bums. May be an issue in real liberal jurisdictions with unwilling law enforcement, IDK. Booting once valid renters who choose to stop paying or otherwise not abide by rental agreement is another matter and a nightmare.

I investigated one when I worked in Fraser-Winter Park and unfortunately had to arrest a man and his wife, Jason/Gutierrez. That led to the cases against Breda and Carillo.

It was very common during the "recession" in resort towns because people would run out of funds and banks would foreclose. Cases were hard to pursue because every instance I was aware of, the new inhabitants took great care of the property and continued the build. The banks would tell LE that they didn't want the squatters out because they were essentially maintaining and improving the asset. This case was the first opportunity where the bank hadn't yet seized and it was still owned by an individual, and therefore a willing "victim".

Every one of the squatters I encountered then genuinely believed they would have zero issues owning the home eventually. The particular case above, they did such a good job at continuing the build, that when the house did hit foreclosure auction one of my best friends bought it.

Adverse possession laws in Colorado had great intention, but I think are a little outdated.

Last edited:
Plenty of stuff on the news about the 'Squatter Scam' - where people take over a house.

I bought a foreclosed home in Pleasant Hill, Ca in 2010....right before I took ownership, some clown broke in the back and called the power Co PGE to have the power changed in his name. He had a receipt to say so. I called the cops and they said they couldn't do anything even though there was no lease, no nothing but utilities in his name.

When the cops left, I tried to intimidate him but he knew the law was on his side. He told me for $5,000 in cash he would leave. Long story short, I hired an attorney, filed the paperwork [all about $1500 as I recall] and got the judgement to have the sheriffs toss him out. The big deal was 5 months of my time, expense and lost rent.

The bad part was the sheriffs dept was 5 weeks backed up on their eviction team...so I had to wait some more. The day had finally arrived and the sheriffs made quick work of him...ordering him outside in his PJ's [at 2pm] and he wasn't allowed to go back inside. I let him grab whatever he could in the 3 minutes the cops said they would stay [just to save me the trouble]

Funny, he got in his POS car that had left a big oil spot in my driveway, drove out of the driveway and ran out of gas 2 houses down right in the middle of the street. I'm sure he was squatting in another house before sundown. I did find boxes of his stuff with other lawsuits he filed, other squats and such.

I wish people would realize; There is a small % of society that is just plain bad...scammers, pedofiles, crooks and worse that see the rest of us as targets. We saw it with the guy that just shot the NY cop- out on no bail from 20 arrests, a convicted felon caught with a shiv up his anus [it seems he knew he was going back to prison]

These people need to be put away....4 strikes and you're are dead....we aren't going to reform a 20x criminal.

Pay the local 1% Biker club what ever they need payed.

I'd move right in with them and make their lives absolutely miserable until they left. Then I'd get all the replacement locks I'd brought with me out of the toolbox on my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back