Spring pole canvas tent vs a otter box monster lodge tent?

Elite

WKR
I am looking to purchase a new tent for camping on the river and weekend hunting trips.

I have been eyeing up the large insulated ice fishing tents. They are easy and quick to set up and lots of space and ceiling height.

Other option is a spring pole canvas tent like the Kodiak tents

Curious what everyone recommends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgmicky

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a Kodiak tent for a few seasons now and really like it, and the other guys I know like theirs also. No experience with the Otter Box

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
a couple guys at our deer camp have started spending the week in insulated fishing shanties. they seem to love it, easy up and easy down. buddy heater keeps it nice and toasty. definitely get one with vents to minimalize the condensation

I just picked up the Kodiak tent. Got the 10 x 10. Super roomy, well built, floor is very thick. Ive only got 3 nights in it but it seems to be a really nice tent.

Arent those ice fishing tents basically the same design as a ground blind? If so, I know a guy that sleeps in his ground blind a lot, My dad has the ice shack that is a sled and just pulls over the top. Guess you arent talking about that one.

kpk

WKR
The fishing stuff would obviously be fine in colder weather, but I think they'd get crazy hot in warm weather.

I used the Kodiak Deluxe VX 10x10 last year during early and mid-season elk. Very comfortable and held up well in strong winds. Make sure to anchor the tent down with 8"-10" lag screws/washers and impact wrench, makes for easy setup. 2 Thumbs Up!

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
The fishing stuff would obviously be fine in colder weather, but I think they'd get crazy hot in warm weather.

That’s kinda my worry

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I just picked up the Kodiak tent. Got the 10 x 10. Super roomy, well built, floor is very thick. Ive only got 3 nights in it but it seems to be a really nice tent.

Arent those ice fishing tents basically the same design as a ground blind? If so, I know a guy that sleeps in his ground blind a lot, My dad has the ice shack that is a sled and just pulls over the top. Guess you arent talking about that one.

Can you set your Kodiak up by yourself?

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Is there any real advantage with canvas vs nylon? Seems like canvas has a lot more maintence to it

Can you set your Kodiak up by yourself?

Yep. Not bad at all. Obviously takes a few minutes longer. Really like the tent so far. Ive had a roof top tent for years, but this so much easier...at least getting in and out...lol.

dtrkyman

WKR
I was looking at the ice hut options for insulation and easy set up, I went with a Gazelle t4 overland, the overland has upgraded carry bag stakes and a footprint which are well worth it.

I have had it in some pretty crappy weather without issue, have run a buddy heater in it, though not for the entire night but I would if I had to.

Tall enough to stand in which was something I really wanted, tons of room for one, plenty for two.

Takes longer to get out of the bag than set it up!

Someone here spoke of it condensation and it freezing up over night with a heater, have not seen that but have only ran heat all night once in a dry climate.

Overall am happy with it and would buy again.

svivian

WKR
Is there any real advantage with canvas vs nylon? Seems like canvas has a lot more maintence to it

Canvas is much better at regulating temperature vs nylon. Maintenance should be the same for both... quality canvas should not have to be treated ever after it leaves the factory.

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
You never said for how many people or what conditions.

That said, I've had a Kodiak 10x14 for 5 years and it's the best tent I've owned. And I went through a "I hate tents" phase where I just cot'd out under the stars for a while because I hated setting up nylon tents and dealing with them being uncomfortable (too hot n stuffy or no protection for real weather) and not lasting very long.

Then I had kids and family camping (plus hunting in extended seasons) necessitated a tent again.

If I'm in a hurry I can setup my Kodiak in under 10 min (I've timed it). But, take your time and it's easy, just heavy. 100% doable solo but a little easier with two people.

Breathes so much better than a nylon tent for warmer temps, awesome in weather. Have had it in everything except very high snow accumulations.

Mr. Buddy heater (small) keeps it very toasty if needed. I keep thinking about adding a vented propane stove or wood stove, but just haven't really had a need yet.

Works very well for 2 hunters, 3 is also fine just not as luxurious. Family camping there is plenty of room.

If you get one pro tip: replace the pound-in stakes with 8-12" lag bolts and use an impact driver.

There's really no down sides, if there was it'd be weight/bulk compared to a nylon tent, but its very much apples to oranges.