Spotting Scope Upgrade

Currently have a Razor 11-33x50 as my spotter. After using it for a little while, I've realized that I've been spoiled by my Leica binos and need better optical quality. I went a long time without a spotter and primarily use my 10x42 Trinovids for glassing and only use a spotter to confirm antler points in restricted units or confirm that a stump is not a bear. After using it, I realized I need better glass for the spotter.

I have looked through a Kowa 554 in a showroom and I think it will do what I want it to (however a showroom is far different than the mountains, but they seem to be getting rave reviews). That being said, I'd be really happy to keep the purchase around a grand. Also want to stay as close to 2 pounds as possible, That being said, a 2 pound optic that has great clarity and is sub $1000 doesn't exist as far as I know, so something has to give. Given my parameters (willing to flex on weight or price) should I just pony up for the 554, or will a Maven or Athlon get me close to where I want to be?

jimh406

WKR
The Razor isn't bad unless something is wrong with yours. Unless you go all of the way to a Swaro, I don't think you are going to see much of an improvement. That being said, everyone's eyes are different.

OP
DenimChicken
Maybe I expecting too much, but the optical quality isn’t what I would call great. It works, yes, but it doesn’t give the clarity I want. I bought it brand new, don’t think there is anything wrong with it.

Matt G.

WKR
The kowa is great glass with great clarity. The only issue I found was that at high power, the eye relief not so good and after using the 77x series, FOV was too small. But the way you use it, sounds like a good fit. Otherwise the next step is the Ats or ATC or 66...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk