Spotting scope objective lens: 56mm vs 85mm for backpack hunting?

Nimrod85

FNG
For the past few years I've been backpack hunting. I had previously packed along my Vortex Razor 85mm spotting scope (weight with case ~73oz), until last year when I picked up the new Vortex Razor 56mm spotting scope (weight ~33oz). Because of the lighter weight, I've generally been packing the 56mm spotting scope since I got it.

Which would you all prefer for backpack hunting? When packing, I always find it hard to justify the extra 2.5 lbs in my pack. But I don't often use both spotters side by side. Do you think the extra resolution, low-light performance, and magnification make it worth the weight for the larger spotting scope? Or is the reduced mobility from extra weight a liability that decreases success?

OP
N

Nimrod85

FNG
neither... sell both vortex's and get a 65mm swaro or leica
Yea but I'm not gonna do that due to cost. Plus then the question is the same with difference in weight and objective lens sizes. I'm not asking a question about brands--glass and build quality will vary. But the differences due to objective lens size (weight vs resolution and low-light performance) are gonna be the same no matter which brand you use.

OP
N

Nimrod85

FNG
And actually, now that I'm looking at it, the differences are almost exactly the same with weights of the Swaro ATC 56mm vs Swaro ATX 85mm being very similar to the Vortex scopes. So, if you can't look past the brand, then my question is this: Swarovski ATC 56mm vs ATX 85mm?

Agree I used to use a kowa 554 for backpacking, it just didn’t cut it so I bought a swaro 85 ATS, decided it was way too big and heavy for what I was going, got a Swaro 65 STM on the classifieds for like $1800 with the 25-50 wide angle eye piece and haven’t looked back.

So if you’re stuck on vortex I would recommend a similar approach but I do highly recommend looking at other brands for better quality viewing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree I used to use a kowa 554 for backpacking, it just didn’t cut it so I bought a swaro 85 ATS, decided it was way too big and heavy for what I was going, got a Swaro 65 STM on the classifieds for like $1800 with the 25-50 wide angle eye piece and haven’t looked back.

So if you’re stuck on vortex I would recommend a similar approach but I do highly recommend looking at other brands for better quality viewing experience.

I might do something similar, but skip the 85 part. I have a 554 that just doesn't do what I want it to and have been thinking about upgrading to a 65. I just don't use a spotter a whole lot, so it's hard to justify.

OP
N

Nimrod85

FNG

What do you feel like you're seeing with the 65mm vs the 55mm Kowa? I know comparison is probably hard with Swaro being much better quality in general.

At this point I'm not really trying to figure out what to buy. I'd love a Swaro someday.

I'm trying to figure out which of my two spotters to take on a trip I have in about a week. In general over the past few years, I've taken the 85mm for day hunting or truck hunting (especially antelope), but the 56mm for backpack hunts.

What do you feel like you're seeing with the 65mm vs the 55mm Kowa? I know comparison is probably hard with Swaro being much better quality in general.

At this point I'm not really trying to figure out what to buy. I'd love a Swaro someday.

I'm trying to figure out which of my two spotters to take on a trip I have in about a week. In general over the past few years, I've taken the 85mm for day hunting or truck hunting (especially antelope), but the 56mm for backpack hunts.

Hmmm tough question to answer, gonna really depend on the style of hunting, location, terrain, animal, your fitness, and what you value most in your glassing. Can you touch on those a bit?

For example, for me I am backpacking 5-8mi into wilderness above treeline looking for high country mule deer typically, I may occasionally take it on lower country rifle deer tags for friends or a Barbary sheep tag here in NM. I am scouting with it all summer on trips ranging from 16-25mi on foot in about 24-48hrs.

I am more than capable of carrying an 85mm spotter, and I am training in the gym or rucking all summer. However I very much value light weight and efficient scopes to just minimize the grind of hiking up the mountain to a glassing spot every day. But I also need to be able to see detail of antlers because I’m not going after the first buck I see and I want to really know the deer before I commit to dropping 500-1000ft to stalk it.

Because of all that, a 65mm very high quality spotter with 50x zoom fits my needs. Sure more objective is nice, but so far the extra eye relief, exit pupil and light gathering hasn’t been needed.

However, if you value comfort, and glassing quality more than anything else I said, go with bigger glass or you’ll be disappointed.

Not so fast with the swaro is much better quality than kowa in spotting scopes.

I'm a huge fan of swaro binoculars but I've owned their spotters and sold them. Kowa gives up nothing to swarovski in the spotter market. I much prefer kowa spotters.

OP
N

Nimrod85

FNG
I might do something similar, but skip the 85 part. I have a 554 that just doesn't do what I want it to and have been thinking about upgrading to a 65. I just don't use a spotter a whole lot, so it's hard to justify.
Yea--that's the other thing. For some hunts, I don't even take my spotter because I feel like less weight and better mobility is an advantage. I have a few remote whitetail spots I hunt that are like this--long hike in, more brushy close-range hunting and not as much long distance glassing.
Hmmm tough question to answer, gonna really depend on the style of hunting, location, terrain, animal, your fitness, and what you value most in your glassing. Can you touch on those a bit?

Good point. For this particular hunt, I'm going to focus I think on mule deer. It's a big new wilderness area for me. Probably will be 5-15 miles in, maybe a bit further earlier in the trip when I have time for a pack out (10 day trip). Because I don't know the area, I'm not sure if it will be more helpful to cover country on foot to find the right pockets, or to glass more--I'm planning on both obviously. The country is pretty rough and ranges from 7,000 to as high as 10,000 ft. I'm in good shape--for most of the year I typically lift a little and run 3-5 miles a few days a week, though not super fast (8-9 minute miles). I typically can gain 4000 ft or so in 7-10 miles comfortably in part of a day. I will probably be a little opportunistic. There are elk there and I have a tag, so if I find them I may hunt closer to the truck and focus on elk. I'd love a black bear, so if I find them I may focus on that. But the plan to start is high country mule deer.

I'd take them both and stick with that usage strategy. I have a Kowa 554 and an 884, and use them the same way.

BTW, not all of us feel that Swaro is, "much better quality in general", especially when it comes to spotters. Higher price is not always an indicator of better quality.

Good luck on your hunt.

Agree, was gonna say that as well. Kowa makes very good 66mm and 77mm options. Price on the 66mm definitely reflects that quality though.

I would say go with the smaller scope, but I’m hesitant since I don’t know how big this country is you’ll be glassing. If you’re glassing a couple basins from a ridge, the 56 will work. If you’re glassing massive country form a single vantage, gotta go with the 85.