Spotting scope in the 1K price range.

Mike67

FNG
I have just started looking for a new spotting scope to be used for mule deer and pronghorn hunting in the western Dakotas. I would like to hear from people who have real experience with their spotters. It's hard to find much info that helps separate one from the others, or isn't a "fan boy" youtube video. I'm trying to stay close to the $1000 price point.

I have a Maven CS.1A 15-45x65 I’ve used in Montana for Mule deer and it worked very well for me. I wanted something light and packable which it fits the bill for that. $800 I got mine on sale for $650. I’ll be honest I went with Maven solely based off an OutdoorLife Spotting scope review. It was awarded the best budget scope. I have no complaints.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Kowa 664m with a fixed 30wa eyepiece would be hard to beat at 1k and under. Might find some old stock/new stock somewhere.

I picked up a meopta meopro used on here for around 900. Personally I think at the 1000 dollar price point you’re better off to go used than new.

OP
M

Mike67

FNG
I picked up a meopta meopro used on here for around 900. Personally I think at the 1000 dollar price point you’re better off to go used than new.
I should have phrased my post differently. It should say different in place of new. I'm not at all apposed to buying a used scope.

I have had very low budget spotting scopes in the past. I'm trying to find something that will work well, and not be overly expensive.
My recommendation would be to shop around on the classifieds here and try to catch a deal, although be wary of scammers. It would also be a good idea to call cameraland NY. They are a sponsor here and are a great dealer to help you find the scope you’re after.

7mm-08

WKR
If you're not backpacking with it, the Nikon Fieldscopes with HD glass and a wide angle eyepiece are very economical in the used market and they are outstanding glass. Put one side by side with any of the Alpha glass and the normal guy will struggle telling the difference. Those can be had in the $600 range?

How far out are you glassing and for how long? I bought a pair of Sig Sauer Zulu6 16X binos and now hardly ever mess with a tripod. I’m glassing out a couple miles and finding elk. I sold my spotter and “alpha” glass is no longer on my radar for purchase. My nice 15’s stay in the pack. Honestly the only reason I still carry regular binos is for the rangefinder now.

Snag a pair of the current gen sigs on sale now for under $900 and don’t look back.

I had a couple different Zortex razor scopes, one in 65mm and the other was a smaller 50mm. The bigger one seemed too bulky and I didn't want to carry it most the time and the smaller one really wasn't as useful as my swaro binos. I sold both of those and picked up a used Leupold gold ring 12-40x60mm on here. It's light, compact and works well for my purposes. You can find them around $700 if you look around. Hard to beat to me.

Decker9

WKR
I ran a Pentax ed65 for years. When I upgraded to a Swarovski, I can’t say the optical difference was as impressive as the price difference.

Pentax is worth putting on the radar as well.

nobody

WKR
Maven CS1A
Vortex Razor Gen1 (dual focus)
Athlon Ares

All these are under a grand and hit a sweet balance of price to performance.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
Athlon ares 15-45x65 is my vote unless you spend ALOT more. And I'm saying that after spending time behind nearly every mid-high end spotter out there.

And its way under $1000

mlchase

FNG
All good recommendations here, but as one mentioned, at $1000, think used. As HD coatings, and other imoprovements have come along many people trading up, and for aroudn a grand you can pick up some nice glass used.