Spotters: Angled vs Straight

Looking at getting a spotter this summer. What's the pro's and con's to angled vs straight? Looking at getting either a Vortex Razor or Swarovski. Spending that much I hate to have to do it twice.
Thanks
Jake

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhh, the classic question.

Typically the arguments go like this:

Straight:

1. Easier to get on target.
2. Easier to glass from above.
3. Easier to glass from a vehicle.

Angled:

1. Easier on the neck.
2. Easier to glass up.
3. Easier to use with multiple people of different sizes.
4. You can use a shorter/lighter tripod.

I use angled, because most angled scopes have a rotating color that more or less evens the field with the straight, except about getting on target easier. After some practice, though getting on target with an angled scope is second nature.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I too am a angled scope user... Went from a straight Leupold that I used for years to an angled Swaro. N I like the angled better, allows me to setup the tripod a little lower for less wind resistance... Really jus depends on personal preference IMO. Goodluck with your decision!

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm an angled guy - keeping the scope lower on the tripod also makes it steadier. I like the angled off a window mount too - seems like I can cover a lot more area without having to slide the window mount around. Takes a little practice at first to point it, but I don't even have to think about it anymore.

Coop

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use an angled spotting scope as well.

I very rarely stand up looking through a spotter and an angled is much better (for me anyway) in sitting positions.

As Darin mentioned, you can actually look behind you with an angled and window mount as well...just gotta get the right angle of the dangle.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Put me in the angled side of the aisle as well. After owning both, I prefer the angled. Takes a bit to get used to the target acquisiton, but after a bit its second nature. I really like that I don't have to carry a tall tripod and that a 2 lb tripod will allow me to use it and stand up if needed to setup in taller brush if needed. Just more versatile for me.

Gman

WKR
Angled for me too. Had my neck fused a couple of years ago and just find the angled to be more comfortable. Plus it just looks cooler!

I like both; Currently I use the Leica 82mm Angled, but I have used straight for years. There are some good posts here from Bitterroot Bulls and Aron, so I won't repeat their comments here. A good tripod is very crucial. I often use a standing carbon fiber tripod and an Angled Scope works well when standing.

With my background in competitive rifle shooting the angled is what I am more used to. I am much more comfortable (my neck) when glassing for extended periods of time. I can have it sitting lower as mentioned above. Plus i don't have to sit directly behind it. I can put it right next to me and jump back and forth to a notebook jotting down useful things...wind direction at a buck, landmarks, characteristics of a buck, number of animals, etc.

Foldem

WKR
I've had both. Went from a straight Leoupold to an angled Swaro. At first it was really hard for me to get used to the angled, but now I am very pleased with my decision to go with the angled for the reasons mentioned above.

pronghorn

FNG
I've also owned both and prefer the straight scope. My reason is that I often glass with my 15's and switch to the scope. I found that I had to readjust the height of my tripod too much when switching to the angled. It was a hassle.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I have the straight, and like it. However, I have no real experience behind an angle. The one thing I like about the straight is sitting my 10x42 on top of them, which make them very steady. Also, it makes for a easy and fast transition to the spotting scope when looking at an animal. Sometimes you only have seconds before an animal is behind cover.